• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Old SBE Console II 23 channel, freq. expansion

If you have another radio that you know is on frequency, you can use it to listen to the Console 2 while transmitting SSB. Setting the trimmer cap to clear up and clarify your audio in the monitor radio will do the job.

A frequency counter is the typical low-cost tool for setting a radio on frequency. A "Communications Service Monitor" is better, but a lot more expensive.

And another radio that you KNOW is receiving on frequency will do the job, too.

One way or another, it takes some sort of frequency reference outside the Console 2 to adjust the center frequency of the clarifier control.

Last edited:
Thank, so helpful. So, am I correct in assuming I center the clairifier knob on the radio and then adjust the trimmer to get it on frequency this way the clarifier is centered? I have access to another radio. So CV6 is the trimmer for the ch. 1-4 slot, which is now 36,37,38, 40.

Okay thanks, sounds easy enough, lol, I hope. I need to find some tiny non metallic screwdrivers to do this. I will center the clarifier at 12oclock before turning the trimmer. Now does the cv6 change receive or transmit, or both?

I thought the clarifier only shifted receive? But since you are telling me I need another radio to confirm I am on frequency, I am thinking cv6 also controls transmit? If so it’s sort of like adjusting a vacuum tube, right?

The first SSB CB radios had a 'locked' clarifier.

That is, the knob controls both the transmit and receiver frequency. In this sense they are "locked" together on the same knob.

Some time between 1973 and 1974 the FCC tightened the rule to make the front-panel fine-tune knob a receive-only function. This made it necessary to include a separate trimmer adjustment inside the radio to set the transmit frequency on channel. Every SSB CB approved to sell after that date has this separate transmit-side trimmer and a receive-only fine-tube knob on the front panel.

Pretty sure this radio was built before that rule took effect.

And radios that were on the market both before and after that rule may have dotted lines in the schematic diagram, showing both the original 'locked' radio and the later circuit with a separate transmit-frequency adjustment.

The Console 2 schematic doesn't show any separate transmit-side adjustment for the crystals.

This is one of the later cb/16, models, I also have an earlier version. The later version came in the original box, plastic, strofoam, and has the original owners manual (with the OEM schematic) and uncompleted warranty card. So I have one of each, I think.

I can post some pictures of the chassis if that would help?

I also need to change the 2 prong power cable to a grounded 3 prong, but that transformer and those big caps scare me, lol.

Again really appreciate your help, I know others will use this post to keep these awesome old radios on the air.

My SBE Console 2 is the later one also. Mine has low power output but works otherwise. I tried to turn up the power adjustments inside the radio per the service manual that I found. However, It didn't seem to help much. I love the way the squelch works on this radio. When you turn it up it gradually fades away. Not just the abrupt on/off like most cb radios Ive had.

Titan7,
The link I posted above has some information pertaining to the "Holder Type" that Bomar asked about.
Several types are: HC18/U, HC6/U and HC25/U. The pictures and dimensions in that link may help you identify your particular type.

Typical Load Capacitance of crystals for CB radios are 32pF or 20pF. The smaller the load capacitance, the more the external circuitry affects the shift of the crystal. I.e. for a SSB carrier oscillator (where a clarifier circuit may be tied to the crystal) you would want a 20pF load capacitance.

Accuracy may be another specification that you may be asked about. Obviously the higher the accuracy, the higher the price. I think typically you would need .005% accuracy. You may get by with less accuracy dependent on the amount of shift provided by your trimmer capacitors.

Good Luck
73's
David

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.