1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Old time radio clubs

Discussion in 'Announcements & Open Forum' started by skip searcher, May 15, 2020.

1. skip searcher

skip searcher Active Member

Are these still popular back 20 years Ago a couple of popular radio groups American kangaroo
    Voices of America I made many contacts to both clubs are they still Active

G GOLLY WAlly and 2NC995 like this.

2. G GOLLY WAlly

G GOLLY WAlly WDX 719 / Waldo on AM

I don't know? But now that you mentioned it, I remember making several contacts with American kangaroo members.

3. mrgumby

mrgumby W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Used to hear ak guys a lot. But haven’t heard them in about 7-8 years. Have a local that’s an American kangaroo member if I hear him and remember I’ll ask him about them they used have a website but I think it gone

skip searcher and G GOLLY WAlly like this.
  4. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I don't remember those clubs but here in Chicago the largest club was the Little Rascal. They ran on LSB 40 and had many members .

5. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Every time the sunspots come back, seems like there are fewer of those guys left.

My favorite was a bunch in Pennsylvania who used the letters "BD" followed by the member's number.

I asked, and got told that "BD" stood for "Brain Damage". Said you had to be brain damaged to talk bootleg sideband.

6. Woody-202

Woody-202 Sr. Member

I used to hear Danny from Indiana all the time when conditions were right. I think he was AK001 (n)

skip searcher and tecnicoloco like this.
  7. skip searcher

AK Bill 2525 he’s passed now used to speak to him years ago and also Ted AK 1973 both were OTR truck drivers

8. Wire Weasel

Wire Weasel Senior Moment

Lot's of good memories from the old school clubs since the mid '70's for me. The ubiquitous Alpha Tangos and their published Country Number List which became the standard for CB DX Country I.D. Italy where the club was based was 1AT and the U.S. was 2AT and so on.
    I was/am a member of the U.S. Whiskey Group. The State prefix number was the order in which they joined the union. So Delaware was 1Whiskey and Pennsylvania was 2Whiskey and Kentucky was 15Whiskey and so on.
    Dozens of big-time, high member, relatively long running clubs. Good Times

9. DXman

DXman Yes Sir, that's 3100 degrees F. 9 yrs of hard work

There are still a few guys out there using the American Kangaroo #s, but they are getting less and less. Never heard any one using Voice of America.....

10. Highway Man

Highway Man Well-Known Member

All I remember was Whiskey Mic and I think it may have been across the pond

11. skip searcher

Well I’m a whiskey jack have used that wj450 from
    The early 90’s