• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

OnStar privacy

You can carry this tin foil hat stuff as far as you want to go with it. If you own any kind or type of cell phone, they can triangulate your position.

You have to do like some people have done and go "totally off the grid" and live in the woods somewhere and be self sufficient.

Really?? Homebrew beer gives me the shits though. :(

pro151 said:
If you own any kind or type of cell phone, they can triangulate your position.
Yes which is why i dont have one.. I VALUE MY PRIVACY 100000000000% (Probably more than anyone here)

Its sad they have gotton rid of almost all pay phones just about as an attempt I think to get everyone using something they can be easily spied on!!

Yes which is why i dont have one.. I VALUE MY PRIVACY 100000000000% (Probably more than anyone here)

Its sad they have gotton rid of almost all pay phones just about as an attempt I think to get everyone using something they can be easily spied on!!

yeah but I think it's only a matter of time before a civilian tetra like peer to peer network is invented. Then it would be hard to track a transmission to any phone. England has had a terrible time with the news of the world paying off the law enforcement to eavesdrop on peoples phone calls. I think tetra would be a great system anyway because I never understood why a phone network could charge money to talk between two locally close phones.

My,my. You are not only very paranoid but backwards too. Pay phones died BECAUSE of the convenience of cellular phones. They were not taken out to force people to use something (cell phone) that they can be spied upon using.

Personally I do not engage in gossip, illegal activities, or open discussions of private matters therefore I have nothing to worry about using a cell phone. Who gives a shit if someone knows where I am at any given moment. Someday I may be falsely accused of something and the cell phone GPS records will show I was nowhere near the incident at the time it happened.:D It can work both ways. (y)

As for the On-Star system, think about it. If anyone at On-Star was actually monitoring the vehicle speed and reported it to the police, think about all the laws they just broke regarding privacy. The mere threat of a lawsuit against On-Star would be enough to ensure it would never happen. Besides, that silly example is just a case of he-said-she-said. It still takes the police to clock you in order to charge you.

In Illinois they have the iPass system, (Transponder to Pay Illinois Tolls). I was concerned about getting one because they figure the time from on booth to another and decide you were speeding and give you a ticket. I was talking to an executive in the Illinois Toll System and I mentioned that to him. He laughed and said "Can you imagine if we did that? No-one would get the transponders and we would have to hire more people to work as a toll attendant." He then said, "That is what we have police for, let them catch speeders on their own dime."

Imagine if OnStar started reporting speeders, how many subscribers would they lose?

Oh, and when I used OnStar, I heard a beep before they connected, but I am unsure if they can "unknowingly listen"

The "secretly listening in" bit has been on the internet since On-Star was started so it MUST be true. :laugh: I do know that they can track a vehicle without the occupants knowing it but only upon a request from law enforcement. A few years ago a local elderly couple were beaten very badly in a home invasion and their car stolen. The woman managed to crawl outside where she was spotted. Police used the On-Star system to locate and track the vehicle enabling them to stop and arrest the SOB's within a couple hours of the crime.

I have Onstar in both of my vehicles a 2000 Chevy blazer 4x4 and my wifes 2011 Dodge charger. I paid extra to have it installed in the Charger due to a install/radio swap. BOTH vehicles turn the radio sound off when Onstar is activated and the display on the charger reads (Onstar1) when activated. My wife and I both use the gps feature on our Onstar units quite often and I like not having extra wires to run a aftermarket gps. As for cellphones don't have one don't want one don't need one.....If I am not home I don't need to be bothered.

I just bought a 2008 Impala and read in the manual that it records how far the accelerator was being pushed,speed and if seat belts were engaged and can be used by authorities in the event of an accident.

They can pull data from the ECM on most of the newer cars now after a crash.

You already have a "Black Box" in most cars and don't know it. I have a friend that is a mechanic at a Chrysler dealer and when I had him trying to pinpoint an elusive, intermittent problem, he showed how he was able to retrieve all sorts of data. RPM, throttle position, wheel speed, brake state, steering wheel position, etc.

Don't like it? Better buy a Burro to get around.

I just bought a 2008 Impala and read in the manual that it records how far the accelerator was being pushed,speed and if seat belts were engaged and can be used by authorities in the event of an accident.

They can pull data from the ECM on most of the newer cars now after a crash.

You already have a "Black Box" in most cars and don't know it. I have a friend that is a mechanic at a Chrysler dealer and when I had him trying to pinpoint an elusive, intermittent problem, he showed how he was able to retrieve all sorts of data. RPM, throttle position, wheel speed, brake state, steering wheel position, etc.

Don't like it? Better buy a Burro to get around.

Ron are you sure that was the On-Star system and not what Pro151 said? I know that most if not all newer cars have a "black box" that stores all kinds of info such as speed, throttle position, rpm, gear selection etc in the event of a crash. Itr also stores a lot of info used by electrical components that the shop can use to identify a problem by looking at certain histories.

Right CKW. When you crash an OnStar equipped vehicle, it does a sort of dump of the memory to OnStar so they can give important crash information to the first responders.

In fact, i think one of the OnStar commercials showed the OnStar operator talking to the emergency responders and telling them it was a front end crash at 50 miles an hour, air bags were deployed, vehicle occupants are alert, etc.

Right CKW. When you crash an OnStar equipped vehicle, it does a sort of dump of the memory to OnStar so they can give important crash information to the first responders.

In fact, i think one of the OnStar commercials showed the OnStar operator talking to the emergency responders and telling them it was a front end crash at 50 miles an hour, air bags were deployed, vehicle occupants are alert, etc.

Exactly. We have that same commercial here as well. It shows the vehicle off the road into a tree I believe and on-tar is talking to the occupants advising them that EMS had been notified and on the way. I think all this privacy talk is mostly bunk just like most everything else the paranoid types like to plaster the internet with. The advantages of the system far outweigh any of the supposed privacy issues.

Note: This is where the paranoid types say "That's what they want you to believe." in response to my comment. :laugh:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated