• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Outdoor Loop

The pattern can be skewed without a current balun at the feed point. How much skewed? That is determined by the surroundings as much as the unbalanced feed point.

The impedance should be around 100 ohms at the feed point. a 2:1 current balun would transform the impedance to a good 50 ohm match, but they are sort of expensive to purchase. Spacing betwen elements also determines feed point impedance.

In practicality, the 75 ohm 1.4 wl coax matching transformer works well enough to get it on the air and it will perform.

Is it worth the extra cost and effort to purchase and install a 2:1 current balun at the feed point to achieve an improvement in performance? That is up to the builder to decide.

As Homer has already discovered, that piece of wire works pretty good just the way it is.

Hi M8s,

The -3dB beamwidth of a 2el quad should be in the order of 75 degrees.
It would be remarkable if one would notice the difference between a 1:1 balun or a 1:1 unun in reference to how accurate one must aim the beam.

Kind regards,

Henry

ps doc im not going to remind you....it feels like walking in a trap hihi.

Attachments

• Afbeelding 180 web.jpg
    Afbeelding 180 web.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Hi M8s,

The -3dB beamwidth of a 2el quad should be in the order of 75 degrees.
It would be remarkable if one would notice the difference between a 1:1 balun or a 1:1 unun in reference to how accurate one must aim the beam.

Kind regards,

Henry

ps doc im not going to remind you....it feels like walking in a trap hihi.

your right. they dont look all that diferent

balun

9WEB531.jpg

unun

5971097096_onion.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
Keeping this post in the context of this antenna project I brought this over from Mr_FX thread - http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/131436-wanting-build-some-kind-beam-but-have-no-idea-where-start.html]wanting to build some kind of beam, but . . .

"It is an easy antenna to build. That is part of the appeal of a Quad beam.
Today I had a couple contacts into Great Britain with it, and in the other direction I have talked to Australia and New Zealand. I know you can talk all over the world on a wet toothpick with the right conditions, but there is something great about putting an antenna together that opens up those opportunities for you.
I heard the same stations on the vertical antenna, too, however, not as well. Conditions favored the beam today. Also, the Vertical is a 30' +/- Sigma4 at 41.5' high compared to the 2 element quad at 30' high."

maybe ill go buy some home depo 12ga bulk spool wire and build a quad. then i can post the exact length for the elements. everybody has a home depo nearby right?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.