• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

palomar 225 blue face

552fl

Mar 29, 2018
I have the older model with the moto-455 in there.. how do you get rid of the dreaded long sideband delay?? what do you remove for am only? pictures please...cant find any pictures on what to cut or remove...

Is this it ?

blue_lightning.jpg

Mine looks older has palomar 225 on the bottom that's it,,,has the mrf455 in it...does your has the delay in it too?i think mine was the fist ones that came out..

I believe there’s a 33uf capacitor near the input of that amp. Cut it out to remove the delay completely or lower the value to keep the delay but shorten it.

I’ve chopped a bunch of them out. No pics, sorry.

can you see it marked 33uf on the capacitor? input? where the ant comes in or the power?

is it square or round ? what color if you can remember,thank you very much its driving me crazy,,

Didn't know that about this amp. The capacitor should be part of the RF sensing keying circuit. Without a schematic it's hard to say what value the cap is or where it is located exactly in the circuit.

73's
David

Found a small cylinder capacitor with 35 v33 UF on it right in front of a little aluminum coil looking Thing.. that must be it??

Can you take a picture of the inside and post it? I really can’t remember, I’ve done a bunch of them but I’m old now and my mind is slipping.

I remember a large cap in parallel with the relay coil. Either a 220uf or 1000uf. Can't put my hands on a diagram.

I do remember that one of the mid-1990s models would chatter the relay when this big one was simply removed. Needed a smaller cap, like 47uf to prevent AM chatter on the contacts.

Been too long. Definitely before we had digital photography here.

And clipping just one lead of that cap, to add a switch in series with the clipped lead made the delay switchable.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.