• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar Magnum TX2250HD - Help

Robbo

Jan 19, 2020
Hi all,
I have a Palomar Magnum TX2250HD amp with a problem.
It stays on Tx after the mic button is released and some of the components get very hot. (resistors)

If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Also, I would like a schematic diagram for this amp, if anybody has one could I have a copy please?

Rob

Reactions: *Brett*

There are few designs repeated over and over again with many different names.
photos would help.

There are few designs repeated over and over again with many different names.
photos would help.

IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG

Hi,
I have attached 3 photo's, hope it helps.

Cheers
Rob

Reactions: Woody-202
Nice. Those were also made under the Bulletproof name. I have one that has two 1446 finals, I love the variable SSB delay on the back.

Hi all,
I have a Palomar Magnum TX2250HD amp with a problem.
It stays on Tx after the mic button is released and some of the components get very hot. (resistors)

If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Also, I would like a schematic diagram for this amp, if anybody has one could I have a copy please?

Rob
Hi Rob,
I just found your post, I hope you found a schematic, If not here you go;

Cheers
Brett 73

Attachments

• SCN_0003.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 274
Reactions: Handy Andy
What length jumper between radio and amp are you using? Once or twice when using a short piece (1ft-2ft) cheaper coax between radio and amp I’ve run into a issue where the amp wouldn’t unkey.

Reactions: *Brett*
Hi Big Kahuna, I just checked a few of the jumper cables, that I have. All of them are commercially made, (bought ones) although from different suppliers, they are all 3 feet long (90 centimeters). You could also try wrapping a few turns of the coax around FT240-43 Toroid which will help with stray RF

Hi Big Kahuna, I just checked a few of the jumper cables, that I have. All of them are commercially made, (bought ones) although from different suppliers, they are all 3 feet long (90 centimeters). You could also try wrapping a few turns of the coax around FT240-43 Toroid which will help with stray RF

Yeah I've known it to happen even with 3 foot jumpers on some of the "CB amps" with the RF causing the amp to hang on TX. Just thought it's something you might want to check. Have you tried turning SSB delay all the way down and see if it happens? Does it do it with the mic gain at zero, or only when you're talking?

Have you tried turning SSB delay all the way down and see if it happens?

That makes 2 of us...

A dirty switch or open wiper arm in the pot for SSB delay - can make a nice antenna to pick up RF and keep reinjecting RF signal to keep it in TX...

May not be the frequency you were keying on - (first clue) but it will "resonate" at a natural frequency - that means the amp needs some help.

Those front and rear panels use a "slide in" rail for those screws and are anodized aluminum, - means they insulate, so those pills are possibly the only ground that the amp really has - might be prudent to put some TLC into the screws and hardware. Even carefully undo the panels to gain access to the pills bottoms, that area takes in all their heat - and if it's not tight to the sink above (behind the pills flanges) it can add "things" to this problem you don't need.

Reactions: Crusher

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.