• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar Maxi Mod

Here's my solution to the Make'ErFit problem.

iGD0aj.jpg

One small notch, no big deal.

Now if only they could ship the thing with this corner trimmed already?

I took on a different approach but had to re-drill holes ABOVE the original and use a countersink headed phillips #4 and flush head to outside of panel with bolt / nut on inside.

But, if there is a bit of room for "notching" (man I did that to TO-220 style once - it was epic fail ---SIGH). but I do see you have more room for the "chisel" to make fit it. Thanks for giving me a little more faith in the idea again.

KEWL! :):)(y)(y)

:+> Andy <+:

Have you done a comparison between those two in order to see which one takes the longest amount of time to reach a specific temperature?

The only valid comparison would be where the transistors are actually put in place in the chassis and secured to the heatsink.

if the component were just tack soldered to the solder side of the board, a different spec is used because the heat is lost by convection instead of conduction.

of course i don't expect Mark Sherman to know the difference, and that means that i am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't being knowingly misleading with his latest 'test' of the max mod vs. a TIP36.

if he does know the difference, then he was being misleading on purpose, and then claiming that everyone else was being deceptive. of course that would not surprise me either, as he is well known for false flagging.

when the component is hanging out in free space, the case style is a much more important factor. when the component is mounted to a heatsink, a completely different spec is at play.

Here is a link that you can pass on to Mark Sherman just in case he was just ignorant of how these things work, and not being intentionally misleading:
https://www.electronicspoint.com/forums/resources/do-i-need-a-heatsink-how-big.29/

i just love how he always says that everyone else is insulting his viewers' intelligence LOL.
LC

The only valid comparison would be where the transistors are actually put in place in the chassis and secured to the heatsink.

if the component were just tack soldered to the solder side of the board, a different spec is used because the heat is lost by convection instead of conduction.

of course i don't expect Mark Sherman to know the difference, and that means that i am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't being knowingly misleading with his latest 'test' of the max mod vs. a TIP36.

if he does know the difference, then he was being misleading on purpose, and then claiming that everyone else was being deceptive. of course that would not surprise me either, as he is well known for false flagging.

when the component is hanging out in free space, the case style is a much more important factor. when the component is mounted to a heatsink, a completely different spec is at play.

Here is a link that you can pass on to Mark Sherman just in case he was just ignorant of how these things work, and not being intentionally misleading:
https://www.electronicspoint.com/forums/resources/do-i-need-a-heatsink-how-big.29/

i just love how he always says that everyone else is insulting his viewers' intelligence LOL.
LC
I'm not sure how his name came up but I just asked a simple question since if one generates more heat or draws more current to achieve the same result then it must be an inferior component. I think it would definitely be an interesting comparison. Whichever component requires the least amount of heat sink would probably be the best component to choose at least that's what common sense would dictate. Or whichever one self-destructs first probably be the Lesser component.

My primitive understanding of the thermodynamics here would suggest the transistor's temperature will be lower with the larger one.

The heat sink, however should now be hotter than before. Should be the result of the larger surface area. Transfers heat faster to the heat sink through the larger area. Should make the heat sink temperature rise faster than it did with the less-efficient transfer from the smaller part.

Anything you do to bring down the transistor temperature must do this by boosting the heat transfer from the transistor to the heat sink.

Heat is heat. Can't make the transistor run cooler without putting that heat energy somewhere else, like into the heat sink.

No, I haven't set up thermocouples and logged the temperatures in this kind of radio to compare one transistor to the next. Probably not before someone offers to pay me for the service.

I do know that base-station customers who blew out multiple 2SB754s back in the day almost never damaged the much-larger 2SA1301 substitute we used as a remedy. Larger lasted longer in those guys' radios.

Stands to reason that principle should apply here.

"I'm not sure how his name came up but I just asked a simple question since if one generates more heat or draws more current to achieve the same result then it must be an inferior component." -Rabbiporkchop

sigh. the shell game continues.
Here, Rabbi expects us to believe that his question has nothing to do with the video that FTCB put up just yesterday:

"Whichever component requires the least amount of heat sink would probably be the best component to choose at least that's what common sense would dictate." -Rabbiporkchop

well it's a good thing that manufacturers of electronic devices require their engineers to have actual degrees instead of just 'common sense' since many times things seem counter intuitive when you don't know what you are looking for.

for example, putting a heat probe on the back of a transistor in order to test how efficient it is. common sense might tell you that the transistor that gets the heat to the back of the transistor faster would be the more efficient transistor.
which transistor would that be in the video?

see what i mean about 'common sense'?

Rabbi, i'm not making this stuff up, go read the page i linked to earlier. it's all right there.
as i said before, i'm willing to give Mark the benefit of the doubt that he's just ignorant, and not being intentionally deceiving.
LC

EDIT: i guess i didn't put the link in my earlier post.
here it is: https://www.electronicspoint.com/forums/resources/do-i-need-a-heatsink-how-big.29/

Last edited:
"I'm not sure how his name came up but I just asked a simple question since if one generates more heat or draws more current to achieve the same result then it must be an inferior component." -Rabbiporkchop

sigh. the shell game continues.
Here, Rabbi expects us to believe that his question has nothing to do with the video that FTCB put up just yesterday:

"Whichever component requires the least amount of heat sink would probably be the best component to choose at least that's what common sense would dictate." -Rabbiporkchop

well it's a good thing that manufacturers of electronic devices require their engineers to have actual degrees instead of just 'common sense' since many times things seem counter intuitive when you don't know what you are looking for.

for example, putting a heat probe on the back of a transistor in order to test how efficient it is. common sense might tell you that the transistor that gets the heat to the back of the transistor faster would be the more efficient transistor.
which transistor would that be in the video?

see what i mean about 'common sense'?

Rabbi, i'm not making this stuff up, go read the page i linked to earlier. it's all right there.
as i said before, i'm willing to give Mark the benefit of the doubt that he's just ignorant, and not being intentionally deceiving.
LC

EDIT: i guess i didn't put the link in my earlier post.
here it is: https://www.electronicspoint.com/forums/resources/do-i-need-a-heatsink-how-big.29/

Speaking of Shell Games, I fail to see what any of this has to do with comparing the Palomar Max Mod transistor to the 2SA1302 except for deflecting attention away from the topic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the best way to abuse a transistor is to remove it from a heat sink.
My question revolved around comparing the Palomar Max mod and the 2SA1302 since they are identical in appearance and physical dimensions.

She was a Jezebel, this burstin' queen
Livin' her life like a bad sweet dream
Tellin' me lies when the truth was clear
I think she knew what I wanted to hear

Oh, my bad...heehee, I thought it was a Maxi Priest thread... my bad

FEA3B85F-AE64-4CFA-8899-81DE3518DF53.gif

Reactions: 543_Dallas

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.