• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar RFX95HD

Is there anyone on the fourum who has used an rfx95 and an rm italy ad-203 to give a performance comparison? I have a nice blue-lit roadking 5640 that needs a little extra.
The RFX units mount on the back of a radio so nice. I prefer that over the old stinger board style add on that takes the place of the radio speaker. Comes down to price and which one your tech prefers to install I guess.

You would be much better off all of you guys with a decent signal bipolar transistor amp or duel transistor amp. Even if they are HG's! That is not worth the money or the time.

I had an amp on the back of a radio once. It was fine since I was driving a 1986 Toyota 4Runner and had no airbags and enough dash to windshield clearance to fit it all just barley. On a positive note I could run the heat or the air to stabilize temp. Plus I had forced cooling. It was not mosfet and I was driving it with a properly set up RCI2950 matched to the unit. Compared to the current units with mosfets in them it was a steal.

I guess I would really want to see what they put out when setup properly on a single final radio. I would want to see what they sound like. I would want to see how they hold up.

I agree for most applications. I have several 2 pill amplifiers that work great on SSB with 8-15 watts drive. That said in my current company car mobile I run barefoot these days. The Magnum 1 does a fine job at about 55 watts. I want to mess around with an RFX-95 on one of my radio's just for fun. I'm guessing on SSB it might do 60-80 clean sounding watts.

Reactions: Eldorado828
well I put one of these on a 29 for the shop and I am pretty impressed. I wish my washington's internal power supply could handle it.
That's encouraging because I'm getting ready to do that same combo.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of carrier did you end up with on the radio before the amp section? What kind of swing going into the unit?

The one I've got already has the low dead key of 2 watts swings to about 25 pep, I'm thinking that should match pretty good.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
An FYI for you rfx owners.

I took mine apart to polish up the heatsink before installation and it's a good thing I did. Look at the picture below.

See anything unusual?
20221216_210419.jpg
Look between C5 and C10
20221216_210419.jpg

That's a leg of one of the coils and I could push that guy right through.... Someone forgot to solder the poor guy and so glad I caught it!

Was it soldered on the other side, though?
No sir, I could press on it and push it through, no flow on the other side either.

No biggie, it's now flowed but glad it was discovered.

If you knew me personally you'd already know that I'm the guy that gets that rare one in a million.
But.... not in the lottery winning way, more of like the lighting strike way haha. It builds character is the way I see it.

Question,

Where do you fellas pull 8 volts from to tx the rfx unit? Probing around I've found 12v or 8v constant but not 8v for tx. Not yet at least.

P.s. on a cobra 29

+8v TX on a Cobra 29 GTL/LTD/Classic even the new LX
Same board layout.

C29 TX +8v JP29.jpg
Component side

C29 TX +8v JP29 back.jpg
Solder Side

Red trace is from the Collector of TR21 (TX Sw.)
Any place along that trace (solder side) or JP29 (component side) is +8v TX

Last edited:
+8v TX on a Cobra 29 GTL/LTD/Classic even the new LX
Same board layout.

View attachment 61764
Component side

View attachment 61765
Solder Side

Red trace is from the Collector of TR21 (TX Sw.)
Any place along that trace is +8v TX
Thank you sir, I kept probing and found both jp29 and jp32 had tx 8v and went with jp32 before seeing your reply.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.