• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar RFX95HD

No, you didn't muddy it up - in fact you helped bring up several points.

All kidding aside, they (referring to Palomar) is trying to develop a method of "drop in" that doesn't require a masters degree in Quantum Physics to understand.

That was partly the reason why many a RFX unit got killed - was from people trying to get more "something" from the "nothing" it can be.

One aspect? SSB - they had questions about where to put this, how to adjust that - it generated a MASSIVE cover your butt campaign that they produced a TON of how-tos' for nearly every radio that was made. CB Tricks held some of that as a repository for nearly every radio that was made during that time.

Another, understanding the purpose and capabilities of this type of amp - MOSFET were not well known and added to the confusion of Power requirements and installation - and once installed - keeping it working right and in some instances - trying to make it work because it reduces power the user thought that this device was supposed to bring to the radio - REDUCED the effectiveness the radio already had - in order to accommodate the add-on.

Too many people wanted more that what it could bring - which was sadly, the real reason why for many to buy it was because of a power envelope boost an amp can provide. It just isn't much there to deliver from, a single stage single supply part like the ERF9530 - it's has a little more oomph than the 7530 it replaces and if it was more available, many a "dead" RFX 75 unit can be brought back to life from it - but there is a problem to that.

The ERF2030 - a pre-amp for that amp. So you had killed the 2030 - and no one around had enough parts or even KNEW this part was around back then. There are the usual battles of those that like Bi-polar discretes and those have embrace the SMD and then the crux of both is the MOSFET.

So you have the pre-driver killing or getting killed - and then the 7530 also needing replacement - both costs more than the amp is worth.

So there are reasons to why I posted the stuff like you just got, because you have to keep things in perspective that for a radio to even produce 4 watts is incredible and yet many a user says it's not enough. The sad truth is the evidence is in the air - you receive it every time you turn on the radio. Your chance to have a quick QSO is debatable by the whims of the Locals - that hear you and the DX crashing in around all of those involved.

So the issues are...

It's an amp you can bolt-on.

The amp uses MOSFET

If the amp required service - you're left out in the cold, no support for the parts involved. (Rules and Regs can apply here)

So the amp was novel a long time ago, developed a stigma because of levels of performance it could have provided a stock radio - never truly got developed because peoples' confusion, level of understanding and the overreaching expectations the advertising got - but there is hope for it yet - and it looks like a lot of lessons learned back then can be applied to make this next generation better.

I'm hoping the '95 will be a "lessons learned" design.

If it does what it should, that's great. I'm waiting for the cooling-fan option. No way the heat sink will be large enough for anyone long winded. Or for the heat that builds up in the above-windshield "cubby hole" provided in new trucks.

Assuming Eric can get enough of them made and distrubuted, we'll find out soon enough.

I'm hoping the '95 will be a "lessons learned" design.

If it does what it should, that's great. I'm waiting for the cooling-fan option. No way the heat sink will be large enough for anyone long winded. Or for the heat that builds up in the above-windshield "cubby hole" provided in new trucks.

Assuming Eric can get enough of them made and distrubuted, we'll find out soon enough.

You saw the scheo for it; so what does the small variable resistor do in circuit? Bias/gate voltage adjust? The instructions say nothing about it - unless I missed it. Thnx.

I want one released that requires an old window unit brace to secure it and some welding leads to power it, one that when you key it up, a strobe light starts on top of it and an alarm goes off to warn people of possible depletion of brain cells. One that you could hook the coax to a small antenna and walk around your truck with it keyed up and pop lot lizards and knock them out, take their cash and dash...

And let's not forget the pre-installed sound byte that will play after every un-key that'll play "Rayden Wins...Flawless Victory". You know, to just make it funnier that you knocked out lot lizards with your massive RF and all...giphy.gif

I want one released that requires an old window unit brace to secure it and some welding leads to power it, one that when you key it up, a strobe light starts on top of it and an alarm goes off to warn people of possible depletion of brain cells. One that you could hook the coax to a small antenna and walk around your truck with it keyed up and pop lot lizards and knock them out, take their cash and dash...

And let's not forget the pre-installed sound byte that will play after every un-key that'll play "Rayden Wins...Flawless Victory". You know, to just make it funnier that you knocked out lot lizards with your massive RF and all...View attachment 25700

I really want to add something but you've covered everything. :ROFLMAO:

I try. I know sometimes my responses are just completely in left field but I really do it just give you guys a laugh sometimes. I hope I do anyway, I try to not be totally annoying.

Can’t you see some skank lizard rolling and kicking in the ground? Haha.

Oh, funny thing about this, I’ve always drove and dump truck and never really been to a truck stop or pickle park. Other than YouTube, I’ve never seen a lot lizard either...

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
I try. I know sometimes my responses are just completely in left field but I really do it just give you guys a laugh sometimes. I hope I do anyway, I try to not be totally annoying.

Can’t you see some skank lizard rolling and kicking in the ground? Haha.

Oh, funny thing about this, I’ve always drove and dump truck and never really been to a truck stop or pickle park. Other than YouTube, I’ve never seen a lot lizard either...

I've got a pretty good mental picture. I used to be a field service truck tech. There are some rough looking ladies walking the south Dallas truck stops. That was almost 10 years ago and I'm sure they couldn't have aged well. I pulled into the Werner yard one morning and saw one fighting with what I assume was a drug dealer or pimp in the middle of the street.

Reactions: Slowmover
Yea I’m good with my lizard status, I’m not interested in meeting any.

I do feel like I’m missing something by not frequenting truck stops though...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.