• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Passed General class test

JimmyG

Apr 22, 2012
Well I guess old farts can still retain a little information. I have been studying for the past 3 weeks anticipating this mornings test. It seemed pretty easy and I did pass it with no sweat. Eeee Hawww, ok, now to start studying for the extra, I failed it! Only got about 55% on it. Next, I am going to have to start saving up for a HF rig. I have plenty of time to look and research, so here we go again.

Reactions: 3 people

Congrats.

40m is a fun band. 17 is nice as well.

Yaesu FT950s are cheap these days. Icom 718s are even better to start out with.....$400-500. $599 new at HRO

Good luck.

KD4VJP

extra is hard only because of some of the question are stupid. its in the wording, and the other hard questions are not explained, you have to know about polar coordinates.

if it were me for a first rig the alincos are ok, the icom 718s as mentioned are good (no fm) the alinco dx 70th are cheap and the icom 706mk2g's are a good shack in a box for cheap.

Thanks everyone. yep, need to start looking for the next radio. Looking forward to expanding my horizons. (y)

Well I guess old farts can still retain a little information. I have been studying for the past 3 weeks anticipating this mornings test. It seemed pretty easy and I did pass it with no sweat. Eeee Hawww, ok, now to start studying for the extra, I failed it! Only got about 55% on it. Next, I am going to have to start saving up for a HF rig. I have plenty of time to look and research, so here we go again.

Congrats, now it's time to LEARN everything that you just memorized to pass the test. I passed my General about 6 months ago by memorizing the answers and have been spending most of my time learning as much as I can about the subjects that I memorized to pass. You can use local ham clubs, the ARRL, the internet and forums like this one. The sources out there are enormous.
Next open up a line of credit, max out the credit cards and start buying everything you think you want!! Just kidding. LOL Welcome and have fun
Pete
KK6GSZ

extra is hard only because of some of the question are stupid. its in the wording, and the other hard questions are not explained, you have to know about polar coordinates.

since when is a TEST required to provide explanations to the questions?:headbang

every question in the current pool is valid and quite straight forward.

Reactions: 1 person
When I sat for my General I took a shot at the Extra at the same time even though I never studied for it. Missed it by two questions or am Maxell Smart says "Missed it by that much". I haven't gone back to take it yet because for now I see no value in it. I have listen to the extra space and really don't hear that much more. Someday I will if for no other reason than to say I am a Extra.

Now that being said, to the OP study for the Extra because the knowledge will help you as General.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated