• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Peel 'N Stick variable key for the Cobra 29 radios. No joke.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
Here's the first attempt at a "How2" install a gadget we call the "Peel'N Stick Variable Key".

It's configured for easy installation. Like most of our odd widgets it came about to save labor here performing a popular mod.

IvGoLl.jpg

It's designed to fit neatly in the Cobra29 type radios, but works in most any AM-only CB. It has two bare wires coming out the bottom. They go into the two holes left by removing the jumper wire that feeds the radio's driver transistor. It's usually marked "JP36".

yCUOt8.jpg

A ground wire coming out of the top edge of the board goes into a hole in the radio's circuit board at the rear corner.

phQLdP.jpg

You may have to scrape mask paint to expose the ground foil, or simply strip enough from the ground wire to reach and lap-solder to a solder point on the board.

pZFZMJ.jpg

The three wires that go to the front-panel control are marked "CW" for clockwise, "Wiper" for the center lug and "CCW" for the minimum end of the control. It's probably easiest to simply unhook the wires from the radio's SWR Cal control and use it as your carrier control. The PNSVK is built to match the 5k pot used for the SWR Cal. Other value pots will work. I'll probably just pack a 5k control that fits the front panel of the 29 radios with the board. You can mount it where you want, or replace the factory control if someone has already roached the pot's resistance element with a bogus hookup in the past.

JNybbg.jpg

The heat sink surface should be prepared first, by swabbing it with rubbing alcohol or your favorite non-residue solvent. This insures a good bond with the double-sided foam's adhesive.

jdS23Y.jpg

The double-sided foam tape we use is a commercial product made by 3M called "VHB". The guy we got it from said it was used to attach serial number plates to diesel engines. We have found that heat strengthens the bond. The drug-store double-stick foam tape tends to harden and come loose when exposed to heat. This stuff doesn't.

jLcgum.jpg

Once the bare wires are inserted into the holes where JP36 was removed, line it up first before pressing it against the heat sink. Once it has adhered, it won't want to come loose. I recommend a good squeeze with needle-nose pliers just to be sure of a good bond.

0rNSbJ.jpg

Lordy, it's past my bed time. I'm gonna post this and just come back later to proofread and see that I didn't scramble the order of the images.

This kit isn't ready for prime time just yet. The first samples are going out to folks who will be the "guinea pigs" to see if we screwed anything up with this first production batch.

Oh, that trimpot on the board serves to set the minium carrier power. Just seeemed worth the extra bit of trouble to have that.

More later.

Awesome job making that widget! Very nice and tidy. Any idea on how much you would be selling it for?

Once I know that the setup I ship to the guinea pig users looks good, then comes the hard part. Packaging and pricing. That will include a 5k panel control already wired up.

Should come in under 35 bucks. Yeah, it's more than the "rabbit turd with wires" versions. Hopefully the labor it saves will justify the sale price. This setup is meant to hold up for customers driving dump trucks. The loose rabbit-turd-with-wires always seemed a bad bet in radios that get hard use. This is probably overkill for 9 out of 10 users, but so be it.

Thanks for the kind words and 73

I still prefer to mount the transistor to the hestsink with a screw. Since the tab on the transistor is connected to b+ I don't want it flopping around in there.

I suspect a few people will just wrap the thing in electrical tape and toss it in the radio anyway.

Here's the first attempt at a "How2" install a gadget we call the "Peel'N Stick Variable Key".

Nomad - when you are ready to launch let me know and we can put up an article on the CBRadioMagazine website and I'll work with you to produce a video for YouTube.

I'm sure that will help get kick-off your sales push.

I love to promote this type of stuff, especially when it comes from a forum member.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated