1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickup truck mounting

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by BammBamm, Nov 25, 2017.

1. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Sr. Member

Hahaha! I actually used a saw blade on my Suburban for a backing plate once...Worked just fine...

binrat and Blackcat630 like this.

2. GTA61

GTA61 Member

Well, holidays came and went, funeral, life stuff. Finally mounted the radio in the 14 RAM. Separated the amp from the radio, made a bracket for the amp. Won't have time to pull the interior of the truck to get the roof mount so just gonna buy a magnetic base (not what I want to do, I really want to put that hole in the roof) until I have time to get into the interior and yank the headliner. I'm thinking that's gonna be an all dayer.

3. SuperDave

SuperDave Active Member

What size amp?

4. GTA61

GTA61 Member

Wait. I found a guy local and he's got a Wilson 1000 roof mount. I'm going tomorrow to pick it up. Took a bunch of the interior apart today. Finally gonna power this thing up and see what it is. I'd hate to think I'm going to buy some new fancy pants rig now that I've gone and looked at so much.

Idk, the amp is a 'Galaxy 350'.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  5. GTA61

GTA61 Member

The 'drill a hole in the roof' was a great idea. Swr 1.1 and 1.2 after install. A lot of work but everything is good.

Attached Files:

6. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

Looks good, I am to chicken to drill a hole right now. I wish I could find a fold over mount for a 102" whip. It would make roof mounting more practical for it. I currently have a Wilson 5000 mag mount in the center of the roof.

7. Slowmover

Slowmover Well-Known Member

BREEDLOVE MACHINE

has the ball-mount and/or fold-over mount.

Best quality available.

B0E3C497-B1AD-4931-AEC8-AC3A0705E4CC.jpeg E95CE179-80D9-408F-9445-3D7FC80A04D8.jpeg

#82 Slowmover, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  8. hotrod

hotrod Well-Known Member

looks great! i never done one couldnt bring myself to drilling. but i say it looks alot neater not seeing the coax running somewhere.. any iside pics

9. GTA61

GTA61 Member

There is a lot of crap to disassemble lol
    20190115_180317.jpg 20190114_170312.jpg

10. hotrod

hotrod Well-Known Member

yes there is alot to remove ..other reason why i havent done it..lol..

undertaker likes this.
  11. Slowmover

Slowmover Well-Known Member

Hougen Rota-Cut. Drilling a hole in the roof. That’s the easy part.

It’s the interior removal & re-install that makes it intimidating.

12. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore Sr. Member

I have done a few installs using the dome light for access, and leaving the headliner up. Just a thought

13. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

Drilled a hole in the center of my 2017 F150 for my Wilson 1000 was not that hard to do . You don't even have to take down the whole headliner...

Slowmover and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  14. GTA61

GTA61 Member

The Ram has structural members across the roof at the lamp. Also, the headliner I wouldn't try to 'pull' without removing enough stuff to get at the center because I wouldn't want it damaged in any way. It wasn't that bad, just a lot of things need removed (read time consuming)

On the plus side, I removed all of the door rubbers, cleaned and treated them, and cleaned/vacuumed a lot of dirt and sand that I would never thought made it's way under there. Ran the power lead under the carpet as well as the coax. Also, just behind the roof cross member to the rear of the cab added two pieces of reinforcement either side of the mount to eliminate flex of the roof sheet metal.

Slowmover likes this.
  15. SIX-SHOOTER

SIX-SHOOTER Well-Known Member

Breedlove antenna mounts can make any mount that you want or need. The mount will last longer than you & your children & grand children at least.

SIX-SHOOTER