1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

PL259 on RG8X

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by Low_Boy, May 1, 2018.

1. Low_Boy

Low_Boy Active Member

I have soldered many PL259's and sometimes all goes well and sometimes total disaster. Today I tried something a bit different. I never saw anyone do this in any video I have watched on you tube. After scuffing the adaptor a bit and screwing all together I put a small dab or rosin flux in each hole. The solder joints looked great.

2. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

That's why I like Amphenol silver plated connectors. The solder takes to it SOOOOOO much better. You pay a little more for them but IMHO it is well worth it. I used to use the cheaper nickel plated connectors and filed the plating off to expose the brass underneath and the solder adhered much better too but now it's the silver connectors whenever possible for outdoors connections. Inside cables still have a few of the other connectors but I use an 80 watt BIG iron or a 240/325 watt big gun and even the cheap connectors solder right up in a few seconds with that. If you use a solder with a few percent silver content it solders to the nickel plating even better.

3. Robb

Robb Yup

I use a Dremel tool to grind off where I need to solder. This will even make crummy nickel plated connectors work like a charm. You could just use a file if you don't have a Dremel . . .

rabbiporkchop likes this.
  4. Low_Boy

Low_Boy Active Member

I keep my little cordless dremel neat the bench. Very handy little tool.

5. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

I'm still trudging along with using crimped connectors. I still solder the center on most, but some are just crimped. Having good luck so far.

binrat, BenMara and 928bolo like this.
  6. Low_Boy

Low_Boy Active Member

I have been using them also. The center is soldered and I kind of think there is a better ground.

7. BenMara

BenMara W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Im another chrimper and solder the center

binrat likes this.
  8. Captain Kilowatt

Staff Member

I know not all crimp PL-259's are created equal so what do you guys use? Also what crimp tool are you using? I know the ratcheting type is far better than the simple pliers type.

9. NightThumper

NightThumper New Member

I’m using these crimp/solder the center connector from DxEngineering with great success. DX Engineering Next Generation Crimp/Solder 8x PL-259 Connectors DXE-PL259CS8x-12

I’m using these ratchet crimpers I bought off amazon. They are extremely nice! Rmsdeal77 Coax RF Connector Crimping Tool for RG-58, 59, 62, 8x, 141, 142, L195, 200, 240

Right now I’m using CUSHCRAFT 5VB, 5-VB VINYL CONNECTOR BOOTS to seal my coax connection. When those are exhausted I’ll use coax tape or the LMR boot seals.

I only run LMR 240 ultraFlex.

#9 NightThumper, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  10. Low_Boy

Low_Boy Active Member

I am using a set of Pro'skit crimpers model CP-371. I also have a smaller set of pro'skit crimpers I use in the shop for auto crimp terminals. I believe the CP-371 is the same crimper that DX Engineering sells but with red and black grips instead of green and black grips. Pro'skit sells a huge assortment of dies and you can buy direct off there web site. I will post a picture shortly.

I have not really found a good crimp terminal yet for RG8X. and I have two sitting from DX Engineering ready to go on LMR 400.

Attached Files:

#10 Low_Boy, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  11. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Well-Known Member

Before I discovered the extra noise from crimped connections this is the tool I used to use.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Low_Boy

Low_Boy Active Member

Rabbi, you think crimps are noisier?

13. Captain Kilowatt

Staff Member

He also thinks aluminum antennas are noisier than copper antennas so take it from there. :whistle:

14. Robb

Robb Yup

He does?
    Or; he did?

15. dave457

dave457 Well-Known Member

It has to do with the position of the moon in relationship to the sun

binrat likes this.