• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PL259 on RG8X

Low_Boy

Jan 21, 2010
Rochester N.Y.
I have soldered many PL259's and sometimes all goes well and sometimes total disaster. Today I tried something a bit different. I never saw anyone do this in any video I have watched on you tube. After scuffing the adaptor a bit and screwing all together I put a small dab or rosin flux in each hole. The solder joints looked great.

That's why I like Amphenol silver plated connectors. The solder takes to it SOOOOOO much better. You pay a little more for them but IMHO it is well worth it. I used to use the cheaper nickel plated connectors and filed the plating off to expose the brass underneath and the solder adhered much better too but now it's the silver connectors whenever possible for outdoors connections. Inside cables still have a few of the other connectors but I use an 80 watt BIG iron or a 240/325 watt big gun and even the cheap connectors solder right up in a few seconds with that. If you use a solder with a few percent silver content it solders to the nickel plating even better.

I know not all crimp PL-259's are created equal so what do you guys use? Also what crimp tool are you using? I know the ratcheting type is far better than the simple pliers type.

I’m using these crimp/solder the center connector from DxEngineering with great success. DX Engineering Next Generation Crimp/Solder 8x PL-259 Connectors DXE-PL259CS8x-12

I’m using these ratchet crimpers I bought off amazon. They are extremely nice! Rmsdeal77 Coax RF Connector Crimping Tool for RG-58, 59, 62, 8x, 141, 142, L195, 200, 240

Right now I’m using CUSHCRAFT 5VB, 5-VB VINYL CONNECTOR BOOTS to seal my coax connection. When those are exhausted I’ll use coax tape or the LMR boot seals.

I only run LMR 240 ultraFlex.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I am using a set of Pro'skit crimpers model CP-371. I also have a smaller set of pro'skit crimpers I use in the shop for auto crimp terminals. I believe the CP-371 is the same crimper that DX Engineering sells but with red and black grips instead of green and black grips. Pro'skit sells a huge assortment of dies and you can buy direct off there web site. I will post a picture shortly.

I have not really found a good crimp terminal yet for RG8X. and I have two sitting from DX Engineering ready to go on LMR 400.

Attachments

• 20180513_084533.jpg
    20180513_084533.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated