• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PL259 on RG8X

Ok, you were asking about crimped versus soldered - if at all possible I do both...

There ... thanks - Thats' All Folks!

:+> Andy <+:

I still solder but am looking at switching to crimp type. I will probably always solder the centre pin even on crimp connectors however. Old habits die hard I guess. Properly installed the shield on crimp connectors is every bit as good or better than what most people solder.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
here is a good article on the pros and cons of each method:
http://www.rfcoaxconnectors.com/Technical_CrimpvsSolder.htm

I can tell you that in my professional capacity, we use wireless systems to move large trolleys which must be life safety rated, as there are people hanging off of them.

We ONLY crimp RF connections because we can control the process more accurately than we can when soldering. Crimping is more than just pushing one material tightly against another or 'friction fit'. there is a science to it, and a lot of research has gone into the mandates that we must adhere to.

I wanted to solder connections when i first started doing what i do now, and was shown why it wasn't allowed. solder can be non-uniform, and can fatigue from vibrational stress.

if someone questions the strength and electrical stability of a properly crimped connection, then i would remind them that the big one inch cable that hangs off a crane and picks up huge I-beams uses crimped connections. Does anyone really think there are risks and chances being taken with that type of work?

one thing i can tell pretty much everyone here is that regardless of which method you are using, you are probably not doing it 100% correctly.
LC

Solder pin, crimp shield.

The bigger the cable, the stronger the crimp is. I use RG8 for patch cables because it's flexible enough for me, and 213 for HF and LMR 400 for VHF/UHF.

There are many crimp connectors these days but I prefer using silver/teflon with the large center pin hole similar to the standard solder type. There are some crimp connectors that have a small center hole that to me are a crimp center because a tinned center wire won't fit. See pics.

Yes,

400_PL259_copy__11353.1436294374.1280.1280.jpg

NO!

s-l300.jpg

It's important to use the right tool for the right job. A ratcheting hand crimper with dies for all your connector sizes will ensure a proper crimp without over or under crimping.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?