• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PL259 on RG8X

Rabbi, you think crimps are noisier?
Definitely noticeable on my end but most people wouldn't be in a position to notice.
It would never be noticeable with a stock Cobra 29 or stock cobra 148. I can generally park underneath anyone's base antenna and listen to signals that they are unable to notice. That was the whole Secret behind the 45-mile Cobra 29.

YUP! Remember that thread regarding sapphire crystals forming in the oxide layer on the antenna that caused static making it such that copper antennas would hear weaker signals than aluminum antennas?
I think you may have mistaken me for saying that when it might have been someone else. Never even heard of what you are talking about. I remember raising questions of which material was better a decade ago. Learned about velocity factor at that time and Imax antennas having more static because of the radome effect. But that's it. Sapphine crystals?!? Nope.

Last edited:
I think you may have mistaken me for saying that when it might have been someone else. Never even heard of what you are talking about. I remember raising questions of which material was better. Learned about velocity factor at that time and Imax antennas having more static because of the radome effect. But that's it. Sapphine crystals?!? Nope.
He is referring to Russel Clift aka AB7IF who I quoted. I'm not the source of the statement.
Screenshot_20180514-000052.jpg

You may not have been the source but you ADAMANTLY defended that claim on this forum including the fact that you like to make your own antenna from copper because of this reason.
Probably because I can park next to anyone and always hear signals they are unable to hear. Every time with no exceptions. There must be something to AB7IF's claim. The guy was a genius, even if he couldn't tune a fish.

Well when only ONE person makes wild claims and their only defense is that their tech is better than any other tech in the apparent world then suspicion falls upon THEM and not the masses. BTW when are we going to get the Sherwood Engineering report on that super sensitive radio you claim Mark tuned or is that another unsupportable claim?

I can generally park underneath anyone's base antenna and listen to signals that they are unable to notice.

With all due respect, the connectors you are using won't improve your antenna system to the extent that is can out receive a base antenna mounted above it. If you are receiving signals they can't, then they have a problem with their setup, plain and simple. Note, this quote is from before the "sapphire crystal" part of the discussion

There's definitely lots of people like that in this forum. It's time to get out from under that rock and get some real world experience under your belts.

I would caution you on this type of remark. On this forum, it is my experience that most of the people who are told something like this have far more experience than the people making such remarks. I, as an example of someone who has been told this type of statement multiple times, have had my hands on over 20 differemt antennas this year alone, and have more to work on in the next few weeks.

Unfortunately, when it comes to antennas, you can only really learn so much from experience alone. When I started learning about antenna theory and kept working with antennas, the difference in what I would notice and could do was like night and day. I once thought I was doing a good job, but in comparison to what I am capable of today I was just muddling my way through.

There must be something to AB7IF's claim. The guy was a genius, even if he couldn't tune a fish.

When this came up before, I made a remark about this person...

I am also not familiar with the author of that post, or any studies that will confirm/deny that statement. his choice of words "can be proven" has me curious,

Since then I have come across some of this guys writings, mostly related to the cbtricks web site. Russell Clift is intelligent, but I wouldn't call him a genius by any stretch of the imagination.

The DB

I wouldn't say he's full of it, but has no basis in scientific, only emperical fact, else my XYL already knows where I am WITHOUT ever needing to us her phone to track me. WAIT,(*ring*ring*) never mind, she's calling now...

Call completed. She says that's supposed to be her secret...(Wonder Twin powers - a separate thread for a slow news day)

But to "obtain" 1-S unit on a particular type of antenna - is an OBSERVATIONAL claim, meaning the assumption fits the facts that are present. But many can repeat that because of raised antenna height versus coupling losses incurred at ground level...SIGH...

I can also lay claim to that by my own observation by using a Fiberglass antenna like my Hot Rod 5' wound antenna - driving over the Tennessee river, or Mackinaw Bridge, or my culvert by the house - I obtain 1-S unit improvement - but does anyone else notice? Even care? In the Splitting hairs argument - apparent height of radiator capturing this signal from the earths surface...free space versus Marconi ground losses ANY ANTENNA is fair game - including my Micronta 5W Dummy Load - only not so much...

I mean - we're not achieving low-earth orbit - but this (the view from here) looks like fun...

:+> Andy <+:

Last edited:
Reactions: rabbiporkchop

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.