• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Plastidip and other similar crap

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
I have never used it. I've seen it used on wrenches.

I have coaxial connection that is somewhat of a challenge. I could mould it up with coal seal in a blob, but I don't wanna. Got to thinking about plastidip again. Is this stuff reliable for antenna related weatherproofing? Whenever I do a search or come across this topic, it becomes a shitshow.

Any anecdotal experiences?

I have never used it. I've seen it used on wrenches.

I have coaxial connection that is somewhat of a challenge. I could mould it up with coal seal in a blob, but I don't wanna. Got to thinking about plastidip again. Is this stuff reliable for antenna related weatherproofing? Whenever I do a search or come across this topic, it becomes a shitshow.

Any anecdotal experiences?

Nope because condensation forms under it.Use a good electrical tape & Coax Seal & it will never leak.Make sure you use the electrical tape first or you will never get the Coax Seal OFF.If you need to remove it later then just take a thin bladed knife & cut under the tape & everything comes right off with Zero mess & Zero water.

SIX-SHOOTER

I have a can of the plasti-dip, though never used.

Self-fusing silicone tape, is the thing.

One brand easily found is

RESCUE TAPE

DX Engineering sells a similar “coax tape”

Both are sold in quantities that make them expensive per foot. But:

1). The stretch is 2:1 or more.
2). Expect to wrap one-half width

It doesn’t have adhesive, per se, but has to it a stickiness. So, both sides have cellophane protection.

My rule of thumb is not less than 6” length to cut despite a minor job. It takes two wraps to really stay.

Avoid handling either end. Most of all the finish. Leave cellophane in place long as possible. Only problem I’ve ever had with it is the end coming loose.

Any good? Well, try laying under a Kenworth on the shoulder of US-60 just outside Pampa, TX (raining, of course; 40F & windy) to seal a heater core return hose that got a hole rubbed in it by being cut too long thus an interference fit against power steering mechanism. Brand new tractor.

The Cummins house in Amarillo isn’t that far away . . . but I’m not taking that chance.

They got to it the following day. The tape had nicely fused together. I’d covered it with SCOTCH 88 and then some cheap ductape.

No leaks. Had to slice it off. Examined and was sold on it in a larger roll for future jobs.

Found an entry on eHam where in an antenna installation after heat shrink, the layers were:

1). Scotch 33
2). Fuse Tape
3). Scotch 88
4) a fabric-style UV-resistant electrical cover tape (no adhesive).

The avoidance of water intrusion AND condensation-build is my understanding at present. I’ve never put up a fixed location radio antenna (just a big TV antenna in a chimney mount many years ago)

So, while that list may not be ideal, I can say that self-fusing silicone tape is an item you want for your supply box as those layers MELT into one another.

Expect that you may not get it right the first time. Leave it till next day to inspect. How tight to wrap is one of those calibrated elbow things.

I normally use "Stuf" dielectric filler and self amalgaming tape topped off with Scotch 88. On some, I'll use Scoth 33+ with coax seal putty. On most connections I use the self amalgaming and 88. I have a 6 meter vertical and the U bolt bracket is right up against the SO239. I can't get any tape on the thread and connection. Thought about using the Liquid stuff.

https://www.gigaparts.com/cross-dev...km5fmjnGs4uTCnQztl1FxNnmPaDvR_JoaAnLhEALw_wcB

The heat shrink tube with the adhesive inside would probably do really well. I use it on all my outside and automotive electrical connections.

I have something like that on a roll of coax I bought. There's an electronic supply company nearby. They have a huge assortment of shrink tubing. Most of it is in 3-4' sections. I bought a piece one time for 8x. I noticed it had better conformity than most of the crap I score at hamfests.

Some good tips.

On my ground bondings I
apply this with the included brush. It's messy but it works well.

81YQNoxJazL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I was thinkiing i got some scotch guard connecters for wiring on big trucks, you crimped coonnecters then heated the ends,out oozed clear silicone. Might get some ge sil8cone its best ease some iin it tgen heat the shrink wrap.i know salt water from road spray never penetrated those scotch guard splicers like the other brands

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.