• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Poor receive, please help.

Mad Dog

Jan 11, 2020
Ontario
Good evening members, its been a while since I have had a question but this is a doozy! As the title says I am having a receive problem. I have a Wilson 2000 trucker going to a Galaxy DX-949. The unit transmits fantastic but receive is limited to 1/8th mile and then it is full of static and almost impossible to make out whats being said. First of all I drive dump truck and we run in a line to and from the jobsite on a major highway. So...here is what has been done: I used to run twin antennas a couple years ago but went down to one and it worked fantastic so I had the spare and swapped it, no difference. Changed the radio with a spare, no difference. I replaced the coax and the stud mount on the mirror with Wilson quality products, no difference. I put an analyzer on it on channel 20, 27.205 megahertz, swr 1.14/1 @ 49 ohms. Checked continuity from antenna base to mirror, ground strap from mirror to door and all the way to the frame, full continuity. I am at wits end. I have been into cbs for a long time and have never had anything like this. As I say, transmit is loud and crystal clear but receive is barely there no matter what radio, antenna, coax, mic or hardware. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reactions: Slowmover

What is the noise level on the radios S-Meter when no signal is present? It sounds like you are simply experiencing a lot of impulse interference and that could be anything from engine fuel injectors, to LED lighting on the vehicle.

Thats another weird thing, unless someone transmits really close, the needle stays at the bottom. When I turn the rf gain wide open and the squelch to minimum there isnt much of a noise floor at all. When driving sometimes a brief interference will sendit to about 3 s units only momentarily. With a strong transmit directly close to me it will bury the needle but once they are even 2 truck lengths ahead or behind, the needle barely moves and making out what they are saying is tough.

Yes we ran in a line again today to and from the jobsite, around an hour each way on the 401.
I'm starting to think Dman is right. Although, that would normally burn out the front end transistor in the radio and not the detector. If any in the group run amplifiers of any size and they passed by your antenna, that is all it takes and could damage both radios in two trips. If you can't hear a driver a few truck lengths away, the radio is deaf. A working radio should hear at that distance, with no antenna connected.

Last edited:
That makes sense. None of them run amps but I have. I removed it to try to isolate the problem. One thing I forgot to mention is that the truck also has a Motorola 2-way radio in it. When I was running the amp and keyed the mic on the 2-way it would make the transmit light on the cb come on.

Oh, you might have overloaded your own radio. How close are the two antennas? Do you know what band (frequency) the Motorola is on and how many watts its transmitter is? I think you are blowing your own radios up.

Sorry, not the transmit light on the cb, the transmit light on the amp.
Just knowing the Motorola transmitter can make the TX indicator light up on your CB amp, really tells us everything we need to know about what has burned up the first RF amplifier transistors in your CB receivers. If the Motorola can force enough power back down your CB antenna and light that TX indicator, it's more than enough to burn up any receiver.

My question regarding the frequency of the Motorola would let me know if a low pass filter on the CB antenna line, would block the Motorola from killing your CB's. Otherwise, your only hope is more separation between antennas.

First guess is blown receiver detection diodes from ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

David
You may be thinking of the "back to back" protection diodes that more expensive radios use in front of the first RF amp, to protect it from overload. Very strong signals are more than they can block and cause them to short. Which, blocks the signal anyhow but the end result is still deaf. The diode "detector" you mention, is much further from the RF input and right in front of the AF amplifier.

Have you hooked up both of your radios in another truck?

Both could be cooked. Or, not.

That’s some high octane advice above. Getting those antennas separated would become a priority for me (I almost did the same to a second CB I was using as a scanner only. It’s pitiful Tram antenna was just too close to an amped system antenna set on this 579 Pete I keep practicing on).

Last edited:
I dont know anything about the 2-way as it is a company thing. The 2-way antenna is on the roof of the truck and the cb antenna is on the drivers side mirror.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.