• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Predator 10K gets smoked by a Monkey .....LAST NIGHT !!!!!

jessejamesdallas said:
Hurd nothing but good, about your set-up's. and amps. So Im sure when you get everything set-back-up. It's going to be a Killer-rig...Cant wait to hear ya out there.....Something ever happens to my Bully Box's Chad made, I'm going to have to give you a holler too. Hope you get back to building again soon! :bounce

10-4 I look forward to the handshake when I meet you.

Spiderman5095

Depending on where your going to be mounting it on the tractor, as to which shaft to use. Dont want to stick-up so high, that there could be a chance of the shaft it's self hitting anything. OK for the stinger to bang off stuff, sence it will bend out of the way anyway.

But between a Monkey Made and the Predator 10K...Defenitly go with the Predator 10K!

The 17", 22", and 27" shafts seem to tune the low'est, and easy'est. And if you get the Dual Coil 10K, the over-all hight of the antenna, will be shorter, than a Single Coil. (the second coil will let you run a shorter stinger.

hey all..

well i have not used mobil antennas for many years...

i would like to think that those making claims (besides the makers of antennas) do so from real world tests..

i seem to recall that both K-40 and Wilson 1000 claim to be best
but back in early and mid 80's i ran tests using them and smoked them with the D-2500
now i forget who made the D-2500 i used (i think it was Palomar....they also had a bigger D-4500 with longer shaft but i figured it was not reasonable to go beyond the D-2500 on my then 82 capri with antenna on lip of rear hatch so basiclly was on roof keeping it free from any radiating interference)..

i had compared the K-40...wilson 1000 and D-2500 while stationary in valley as well as on mountian top as well as driving
talking to base station...
now ok this was 22 years ago.....but without doubt it was the D-2500 that destroyed the K-40 and Wilson 1000

reason i bring this up at all is back then the D-2500 and larger D-4500 were fairly new antennas and not thought of well by many other antenna people...
but it is funny how the D-2500 looks like those I-10K antennas of kales....

i think though one needs to find out for themselves and ignore the hype and do the testing yourself...
for as i saw kale say..
no one antenna will work best for all cars or all aplications

Later

P.S. i will add that the best of the simple antennas is without doubt the 102 inch whip....i had a friend who somehow stacted 5 on top of each other and had guys to all corners of car...
i can say without doubt that that was the best performace i have ever seen or heard of from any mobile antenna set up..
too bad he could not keep it from swinging all around and hitting cars on either side of him as he drove...to bad it got him so many tickets...lol

P.S.S. the above 5 stacked 102" whips guy wired to my then friends got so much skip i barly could believe it..yet he did not need to use amps,linears or export radios...all he used was a unmoded cobra 19 plus....he was only person i knew for a fact who got continually better skip and DX contacts then i did

KingCobra. If I post a statement about a product, whether it's a antenna, or radio, or amp. What ever the subject is about, like "comarison's". What I come up with. I post. "If" I say the Predator 10K will out-perform a Wilson. It's because I have compared the two everyway I can come up with. Mfj analizer's, different watt meter's, feild meter's, DX contact's, local contact's.

So when I say the Predator is better than a Wilson, or it tunes better than a Willson. Then It does. But like you said, best way to find out is "do it yourself, and see!"

However, you may find this to get a little expencive. All I try to do, is tell people what I have found out about different antennas. And try to save someone a few $$$.

Now the 102" whip antenna is a good antenna. But belive it or not...there are better one's out there! They may cost a little more than the 102". But you get what you pay for...sometimes.

This is where I come in...I test them, then tell ya what I find.
Although my testing is done on my Suburban, so your results could vary. But from what most people tell me, that use's what ever im testing, they tend to find the same results (or real close)

One thing that seems to be constant on most of the Big-Coil antennas. They tend to tune about the same...very-low.

Some will tune lower than the other's, some are heavy'er than other's. and a few tune easy'er than other's.

So which ever comes in with the best results all around, I figure is the winner!

SO for...The winner is the Predator 10K. However, the Mr.Coily was just as good, only thing about the Coily I was'nt to crazy about, was the fact you cant change it around like you can the 10K. If you want one with a longer shaft, you have to buy a new antenna, where with the 10K, you just buy another shaft...which is much cheeper, than buying a whole new antenna.

If this is no big deal to you, then either antenna I recomend...Both antennas preform the same, just one is screw'ed together, and one is all one peice. And the Mr.Coily may cost ya a little more...but not much.(under $10 difference)

I only have one thing to say about all this, I understand the propensity of some to prefer the "look" of the "spring on steroids" and like we men will allow alot of bulls##t if she's pretty enough, I can see the need to defend the this and that of those things but a few hours spent reading the ARRL handbook or associated articles (check freecells site, GREAT article on SWR levels both real and artificial) and a few more hours spent doing some actual properly weighted testing will yeild some interesting reality, as far as the "monkey" VS "predator" issiue, it would make an interesting fencing contest, and I'm sure someone would at least draw blood, comparing apples to apples is pointless. Electrically lengthened VS true length would be a better comparison, TX pattern, and RX sensitivity should be included unless you just want to "yell into the canyon" but not wait to hear the echo, we do a lot of "testing out here in the desert, where ground wave can do its thing and none of the "electrically lengthened" radiators can even come close to linnear loaded tuned shafts PERIOD, a real hoot is enjoyed when a $50.00 top loaded 5' solarcon quad wrapped slices through a $150.00 + coil's signal and hears better to boot.
She may not be as pretty but she shure can cook, and she sure is a devil in bed!
Punchin' out.........

Hey jessejamesdallas

yes it is a expensive enevor...
some can not do so others can...

all i wanted to convey..
is although there are many decent antennas..
you (people in general) need ignore the hype..

i am sure the 102 inch whip is a good antenna
as is also preditors 10K
as is MonkeyMade..

i am sure there are others..
i have yet see any outperform my Palamar D2500
i am thinking of trying out a quite different looking antenna from signal engineering..

anyways..
this forum exists to help enable people to learn about things without doing all the leg work themselves..

that's what makes this forum so good

Later

skirtchaser said:
I only have one thing to say about all this, I understand the propensity of some to prefer the "look" of the "spring on steroids" and like we men will allow alot of bulls##t if she's pretty enough, I can see the need to defend the this and that of those things but a few hours spent reading the ARRL handbook or associated articles (check freecells site, GREAT article on SWR levels both real and artificial) and a few more hours spent doing some actual properly weighted testing will yeild some interesting reality, as far as the "monkey" VS "predator" issiue, it would make an interesting fencing contest, and I'm sure someone would at least draw blood, comparing apples to apples is pointless. Electrically lengthened VS true length would be a better comparison, TX pattern, and RX sensitivity should be included unless you just want to "yell into the canyon" but not wait to hear the echo, we do a lot of "testing out here in the desert, where ground wave can do its thing and none of the "electrically lengthened" radiators can even come close to linnear loaded tuned shafts PERIOD, a real hoot is enjoyed when a $50.00 top loaded 5' solarcon quad wrapped slices through a $150.00 + coil's signal and hears better to boot.
She may not be as pretty but she shure can cook, and she sure is a devil in bed!
Punchin' out.........
skirtchaser, how many coil antennas have you tested in the desart? Have you tested any of the 10K's yet? If you have, which one did you test and what vehicle did you test it on?Kale

I installed a monkey made today for a guy using a a quad-mount on the back side of his van with 20ft of mini 8 coax ...I was very impressed with the results right from the get go ....I did not have to adjust the stinger from the all the way down position 1.2 / 1.2 /1.3 around the band ......through the amp 1.3 /1.3 / 1.4 ......transmitted and received very nicely ..Impressive on the barefoot side as well. NOT BAD AT ALL !! .....Not my personal piece of cake in style and looks ...but there's no doubt in my mind that it lived up to it's expectations of being a very well made and performing antenna ....no aurgument here. Switch Kit

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.