• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Predator 10K gets smoked by a Monkey .....LAST NIGHT !!!!!

smalltiredart

Apr 26, 2005
Last night was talking to a friend 12 miles from where I live. I was stationary and tried 3 different antennas. Here is the line up.

Predator 10K single coil 22'' shaft
Monkey Made MM-4 ( only 4-3 wraps on coil with 9'' shaft)
102'' steel whip

I was running my X Force driver box.
My antenna is on a new Dodge Ram, mounted behind the cab on a piece of 3/8 steel strap that puts the antenna stud at roof level.
"S" units
carrier modulation

Predator 10K 8 to 10 :moon
Monkey Made 10 to 12 :wow
102'' whip 8 to 10

I was blown away. The only thing I can figure is that the Monkey Made has less wraps on the coil, which makes the antenna over all longer and it has alot more metal than the 10K to radiate from. Or maybe it's just my vehicle. :shock:

Never in a million years thought I'd say this, but today.........
IT'S A MONKEY MADE WORLD !!!!!!!! :lol
:guitar

004.jpg

I've had 10k's, MM, MrCoily, wilsons, firesticks, 10K's were superior in every way.
Gave the MM's away threw the Coily in da trash and the other's are back ups.

it must be some peculiarity of your vehicle or surroundings that favoured the monkey as there is no way will any regular coiled antenna beat a 1/4 or even a 22" 10k by 2 s units all things been equal in a regular installation, i have never seen any coiled antenna beat a tuned fullsize 1/4wave on the roof of any of my or my buddies cars on pure signal strengh while stationary.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
mm smoked 10 -k

u should try testing in the day time i think u got the mm &10k mixed up in the dark . i have tested and gotten 4s-unit gain over the monkey made

Hears a story about antennas, I had a friend give me an m9 mm, this was before I ever owned a 10-k predator.

I built a stand from 1 1/2 angle iron and mounted that to my toolbox and the mm would never tune below 1.5:1 swr and I was in shock because I was told that this set was proven and would work on any pickup.

So I spoke with the friend who gave me the mm and he was in Tx. so I asked him to pickup a 10-k for me and I put that up on the same stand and in 2 minutes I had a 1.1:1 match on a mfj meter and my reflect on 450 avg power was 1/2 watt so in short I gave the mm back too my friend with no hard feelings.

I have 3 mobiles and they all run 10-k's and if I were to choose another antenna it would be a 1/4 wave steel whip and not a mm.

Re: mm smoked 10 -k

redwing21 said:
u should try testing in the day time i think u got the mm &10k mixed up in the dark .

No there real easy to tell appart.

i have tested and gotten 4s-unit gain over the monkey made

I would have rather run the 10K. It's lighter than the Monkey and catches less wind with the small coil. but performance wise the Monkey is better in my application.

AFTER ALL S-UNITS TALK, THE PREDATOR 10K WALKS ! :naughty

Re: mm smoked 10 -k

smalltiredart said:
redwing21 said:
u should try testing in the day time i think u got the mm &10k mixed up in the dark .

No there real easy to tell appart.

i have tested and gotten 4s-unit gain over the monkey made

I would have rather run the 10K. It's lighter than the Monkey and catches less wind with the small coil. but performance wise the Monkey is better in my application.

AFTER ALL S-UNITS TALK, THE PREDATOR 10K WALKS ! :naughty
smalltiredart, don't quit at that. Run the Monkey for a week and then put the 10K back on and run it for a week. I don't claim to build an antenna that will work on every vehicle. Any one that claims that their antenna is the best for all vehicles DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. . I build antennas with a single coil with 6 different shaft lengths and a two coil with 5 different shaft lengths. I try to build one for every vehicle out there but still don't claim that they will work on all of them.KALE

Kale i run a 27 inch single coil 10k on my ford bronco full size .
i have it mounted on the spare tire rack on the tail gate that antenna blow all the competiton out of the water 2 to 5 s_unit gain over the other

freecell said:
now, get rid of the amp and set up a base as a listening station then drag that truck out to 60 miles and run the tests again.
From a mobile to a base is not a very good antenna test.Kale

Somehow I think your test must have a flaw in it somewhere! I find it very hard to belive that a 9'' shaft MM, could ever in a million years, even compete with a 22'' shaft 10K :!:

Been there, done that! However, I have a Mr.Coily on order. And "If" there is a antenna that may compete with the 10K, the Coily may be it....Will know shortly, soon as I get it. Then will post results......

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio