• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Predator Freedom DX-K...111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just curious ...... does anyone see any potential physical or electrical problems with this antenna ?
the only potential problem i see is the height for some folks ... DUHHHH . but that's why antennas with coils to shorten them are made .

just curious ...... does anyone see any potential physical or electrical problems with this antenna ?

I'm wondering if the design will lead to water migration where the whip goes into the lower shaft. Since the diameter of whips vary with manufacturer (and a whip is not supplied) it stands to reason that some may encounter this problem. There have been reports of this happening with some of the coiled antennas, so why would this design be any different?

Water will seep in some how unless you silicone where the whip enters the shaft. My first 10K seized up. Had to wiggle it out w/vise grip. Some water was present. I forgot which coiled antenna I saw that had a drain hole @ the bottom of the shaft.

I'm wondering if the design will lead to water migration where the whip goes into the lower shaft. Since the diameter of whips vary with manufacturer (and a whip is not supplied) it stands to reason that some may encounter this problem. There have been reports of this happening with some of the coiled antennas, so why would this design be any different?

All you need to get the water out of the shaft, is a Big Amp and it will boil right out!:love:

On Kales antenna's drilling a hole in the bottom of the shaft is a bad idea...The aluminum used is not that thick and drilling a hole that would be big enough to let the water out would just weaken the shaft to the point it would break first time you hit a large bug...

good point . but every mobile antenna with a stinger or a set screw will have the same issue .

good point . but every mobile antenna with a stinger or a set screw will have the same issue .

That statement may apply to some antennas, but I'd stop short in saying it applies to every antenna. ;) There are several antennas on the market - both cb and amateur - that utilize a stinger/set screw configuration that don't allow water migration. I'm just wondering if it will be more frequent with this particular antenna because of the various diameters of whips available. As previously mentioned, the problem may be alleviated by using silicone or some type of sealant.

Something else that made me raise an eyebrow is the size of the corona ball. The antenna is being touted on less flex versus a 102/108 while in motion, but then you put a huge corona ball on it? Won't the added weight and surface area of that corona ball increase the flex once up to speed? As much as BD likes to use his video camera I'm surprised we haven't seen a video yet to back up the claim that the antenna doesn't flex as much as the 102/108. The claim of it being the 'quarter wave at its best'...well...

"There are several antennas on the market - both cb and amateur - that utilize a stinger/set screw configuration that don't allow water migration."

could you post a link to them or some pics . id like to see how they accomplished that . im not at all suggesting you're wrong , i'd just like to see the approach they took ....... maybe see if i can copy/modify it for use on a gamma match ;) .

Booty, all you need to do is check out some of the popular antenna sites. Wilson, Larsen, K40, NCG, etc all manufacturer antennas that have an adjustable whip secured with a set screw or two.

i don't see what makes the stinger hole on them any more water proof than the stinger hole on a 10k ...... but i could be overlooking something . water does get inside the coil housing on wilson antennas , sometimes enough to corrode/short the inside .

i don't see what makes the stinger hole on them any more water proof than the stinger hole on a 10k ...... but i could be overlooking something . water does get inside the coil housing on wilson antennas , sometimes enough to corrode/short the inside .

Yes it will. Been there, seen that.

(And watch it with that "Sweetie Pie" stuff. GLR will start some more of his bad natured rumors and Mack will chime right in)

Yes, I have heard of the newer Wilson antennas (since Barjan bought them out) having a water migration problem. JJD was the first I heard of it, and now that Pro151 mentions it he is the second. I ran a Wilson 1000 on the roof of my GMC T15 for over 10 years and never had a problem with water migration. I also know several people that are running antennas from the aforementioned manufacturers and none of them have had a water migration problem. As far as being more waterproof, I would imagine it has to do with a closer tolerance between the I.D. of the hole and the O.D. of the (supplied) whip. As I said previously, I'm just wondering if the problem will be more common with this antenna since you supply your own whip. If a person uses a whip that is smaller diameter than the whip that was used to determine the hole size in the antenna then the tolerance becomes larger - which leads to a greater chance of water migration. As was mentioned before, you may be able to eliminate the possibilty by putting a glob of silicone of other sealant on it. :unsure:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.