• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PRESIDENT Lincoln II

Have to say the CRE is one of the very few radios that I didn't buy I was waiting for the MaxLog 8900 to come out which hasn't happened. I did get a Grant II, have had it about 2 weeks now and like it a lot, the memory channels are one of my favorite features of the radio and of course all the frequencies it covers

Reactions: 1 person
Have to say the CRE is one of the very few radios that I didn't buy I was waiting for the MaxLog 8900 to come out which hasn't happened. I did get a Grant II, have had it about 2 weeks now and like it a lot, the memory channels are one of my favorite features of the radio and of course all the frequencies it covers

hows the recieve on it ?noisy? i like the looks /features of the grant. everything the
980 should been.

HotRod to be honest in the beginning I was not impressed, I had a 980 and liked it a lot, well after a few weeks now I am running the Grant II all the time, yes the receive is great and I have not touched it at all, my local ham guru who complains if I am a tick off frequency has not said a word except to tell me the audio sounds very good, I did take the stock mic apart and make the 2 small slits in the plastic a bit bigger but other than that I haven't changed or tuned a thing. It's really a great working radio, not sure about price wise where it falls in the pecking order, the Optima is still a better radio but if this had an unlocked clarifier it would be almost as good as the Optima.

HotRod to be honest in the beginning I was not impressed, I had a 980 and liked it a lot, well after a few weeks now I am running the Grant II all the time, yes the receive is great and I have not touched it at all, my local ham guru who complains if I am a tick off frequency has not said a word except to tell me the audio sounds very good, I did take the stock mic apart and make the 2 small slits in the plastic a bit bigger but other than that I haven't changed or tuned a thing. It's really a great working radio, not sure about price wise where it falls in the pecking order, the Optima is still a better radio but if this had an unlocked clarifier it would be almost as good as the Optima.

ok thanks. local here has one in his tiny car w/ a sirio 5000 performer. seems to
do really well for him.

I love my sirio performer 5000 just the whip is so thin at the top, wish they wouldn't have that much taper down to the them, other than that, they are a better antenna than the wilson IMO, yes I have ran both, the wilson 5000 and the sirio pl5000 performer and I make more contacts with the sirio. Swr readings are just about the exact same on the cb band. The other think I am not a fan of is the rg-58 on the mag mount, they could step it up to at least some rg8x or something similar. Again, JMO. The modded one I made with the 102" ss whip, now that one I love, and it rocks!! I get compliments all the time, and have made many contacts with it at 75mph on the highway. Tilted forward just enough so that at highway speed the antenna is straight, it works, maybe I am lucky, but I know I set my system up properly so really it's not luck, but hey I will take it. God bless.

222 I used my Wilson 5000 mag mount that comes with the RG-8X and have the SWR about 1.2 all across the band with the Sirio but guess I expected something more. It does hear a bit better but I get that signal change when going down the road like you would with a 102" whip my Wilson didn't do that

Attachments

• sirio turbo 5000.jpg
    sirio turbo 5000.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 6
Yes, like it said, I had to modify mine with a cut down 102 ss whip to get the stiffness for highway travel, but at the expensive of more stress on the mag mount and having to add several magnets including 2 more of the 6in magnets (pl145's) on the underside of my van as it has thin sheet metal roof. This coupled with a more forward lean to the antenna and the tip stays straight at speed on the highway and it doesn't seem to bother the swr reading much either when parked. I have spent a lot of time messing with my setup and modding the base section of one of the 3 base loads I have. It helps but like I said it stresses every rhode else. If only I could hard mount an antenna I would be good to go as I already have a Breedlove brass quick disconnect mount from back in the day. Anyway I have since ordered a megawatt 4000. Just curious about them I guess, I like the fact the base and the weight of the base itself is lower than the pl5000, it doesn't handle the power of the 5000 but I am not running 500 watts so I don't mind. Will have to wait until it gets here to see what the deal is, but the megawatt is slightly taller at 2036mm vs 1965 of the pl5000, so roughly 2.67in taller I think, not that that much a difference, but we will see. Will have to do a review of both I guess. I agree the Wilson's are good antenna's, especially the older ones IMO. I wish the sirio whip had the same taper as the wilson whip then all might be good lol. Just want my cake and eat it too right!! God bless and have a great day.

Yes, like it said, I had to modify mine with a cut down 102 ss whip to get the stiffness for highway travel, but at the expensive of more stress on the mag mount and having to add several magnets including 2 more of the 6in magnets (pl145's) on the underside of my van as it has thin sheet metal roof. This coupled with a more forward lean to the antenna and the tip stays straight at speed on the highway and it doesn't seem to bother the swr reading much either when parked. I have spent a lot of time messing with my setup and modding the base section of one of the 3 base loads I have. It helps but like I said it stresses every rhode else. If only I could hard mount an antenna I would be good to go as I already have a Breedlove brass quick disconnect mount from back in the day. Anyway I have since ordered a megawatt 4000. Just curious about them I guess, I like the fact the base and the weight of the base itself is lower than the pl5000, it doesn't handle the power of the 5000 but I am not running 500 watts so I don't mind. Will have to wait until it gets here to see what the deal is, but the megawatt is slightly taller at 2036mm vs 1965 of the pl5000, so roughly 2.67in taller I think, not that that much a difference, but we will see. Will have to do a review of both I guess. I agree the Wilson's are good antenna's, especially the older ones IMO. I wish the sirio whip had the same taper as the wilson whip then all might be good lol. Just want my cake and eat it too right!! God bless and have a great day.
i believe the 4000 series have about the same stinger aswilson. the extra lenth of the
mega watt 4k i think cause it appears to have less/smaller coils then the performer 5k
also on the performer5k from the base to where the whip goes is longer,than on the mega watt so the whip
might actually be shorter on the performer 5k than themega watt 4k. hope we see a review with some details

Will do hotrod. I was curious and am going to try it out. Definitely will give a review and photos as soon as it gets to me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated