• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President line of radios

You should start seeing the "President Grant II Premium" version soon with a large heat sink added to the back of the radio to help solve the excessive heat problem, and a muRata Filter fitted to it.
Let's see if they get it right this time......

The Jackson II is dropping in price, and the new chrome Jackson II "Classic" "Limited" is showing up for sale overseas.

Jeff

Reactions: milkman21218
You should start seeing the "President Grant II Premium" version soon with a large heat sink added to the back of the radio to help solve the excessive heat problem, and a muRata Filter fitted to it.
Let's see if they get it right this time......

I've been pontificating about a Grant 2 for so long that this ended up being announced. Not sure whether to wait and see if the "Premium" ends up being OK or to take advantage of the firesale of the current versions. Not interested in "export mode" nor cranking up the power for a pointless increase.

Uniden( President) has been disappointing for a while now, it has tarnished there once good reputation.
Even Alan/Midland came up short on the 8001XT radio, and I thought it was a great looking old school radio, but they did not take advantage of what the board is capable of.
I have seen where Dave posted that they are going to use the same board in the Huracan MK-II, with him in charge of the project, I bet we see a much better radio out of it.

Jeff

I read this older thread and I want to comment on my 'fun time' with the new Rosevelt aka Super Star 4900....
I bought mine from Bill's Two Way Radio back in about 94 I think? Size and layout reminded me of the Kenwood HF transceivers. Worked fairly decent, great on receive but the finals blew after a week! Sent it back and Bill's said to use a proper antenna!?!? Sure, fine! When I got it back I put it for sale right away.... lost 20 dollars overall! Lesson learned!
As for other President radios, those from the 1980's were some of the best made and performing. Some of these were sold under the Uniden name and were pretty good. European Presidents were sold for many years, some like the pro Uniden series had President names on them in Europe.
Not sure if they still sell in Europe but France was a big outlet for a long time.

73 mechanic

Well the president Jackson II Classic Limited is NOT getting good reviews in the UK, looks like another disappointment.

Quote from Delboy enterprises UK:

My initial findings based on the radio I have in my possession:

The 'chrome' is quite plasticy!

The controls are a little loose, not a solid feel to them when you use them.

AM/FM incoming and outgoing is very good.

Power output:

Spot on 4w AM/FM but only 8w PEP on SSB! - Legal mode

13w AM/FM and 18w PEP SSB - Export mode

And

Oh dear......

SSB does show signs of overloading on strong signals much like the Lincoln 2!

Here is his full review
http://delboyonline.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/president-jackson-2-chrome-limited.html

Jeff

Who remembers the flying Pinto???
here is a Picture of the President Jack that I do not think has been posted in this thread yet.

Jeff

I thought there was a few posts and a picture of the Jack before this thread was mangled a few years ago.

I wonder what goodies President has for the North American market when they return next year.:whistle:

Hello everyone.
This is my first post and I`d like to send you all a greeting.

A great topic this tread,and I would follow it like an addict.

I have a few questions to the experts here about a President Jackson I just bought. Am not sure if this is the correct place,thats why before posting a post filled with picture of the inside of the Jackson I`d let you all decide if I should make a new tread for it.

First of,let me introduce myself. Am a man in mid thirties from Norway that has loved radio communication since my teenage years. I guess my first "meeting" with a President was around when I was 12. Òne person in the city I grew up in had an President Jackson. Thats all. Its not that it is a big city and a huge dx-community,but it says something about how rare transmitters beyond 40 Channel FM 4w. I`ve since then been admiring the history of CB/DX/Ham .

The story about Uniden (Or just President,as we knew it as here) is so complex,and after getting a good read through this tread I got more info about all of this,and catalogs,pictures and so on. Its awesome for me. I`ve been lurking these sites from time to time,but am back on Air now,so I just had to find a good forum and sign up at.

I have some basic knowledge about these things,but am just a rookie. I`ve never modified any radios,but thats more because I`ve never needed to do it. My first Export radio was a Lincoln,and it was prefixed before I got it.. Maybe a bit to much fixed,even. After that I had A Sommerkamp TS 2000 DX (RCI 2950) . It was in perfect condition,but also was prefixed and ready to use... Why am telling you all this,you might wonder?

Well.. Here I am over 20 years after the Sommerkamp,and maybe something like over 22 years since I first heard of the President Jackson for the first time. Now am sitting here,the owner of something that looks and feels like a brand new unused Jackson. But how to tell whats done or not done to the radio if I`ve never seen inside one before? I would need help from people with the knowledge that has escaped me for far to long. I`ve should have had a Jackson or a classic radio (ss 3900 or Cobra 148 )of some sorts long ago,but it was hard to find and the radios was expensive for a teen back then.

Now I can finally learn these things. The forum might be what saves me. There is no Radio guys around here,so I come to all of you for the advices.

Best regards from Norway.

First off, welcome to the forum. Good people here and will help you no doubt. There are quite a few gents here that know those radios inside and out. Exit13, a member here is a good tech and can probably decifer most boards with some good pics as can a few others here as well. Post a thread about explaining what you did above, basically purchased a used radio, and post some good photos as well of the inside, both top and bottom of the board. Have you had a chance to power the radio on and at least see what it does on AM, SSB, and FM? Do you have an external swr/ware meter and a 50 ohm dummy load of at least 25 watts rating? If you do, use it to see what the radios power output is. If its stock power, and there are no extra switches or boards that look out of place in the radio, like one taped up and laying inside the radio type deal, the radio may be a virgin. But chances are buying it used and the age of the radio, it most likely has had hands in before I'm sure. Or maybe not. It could have been a guys radio that didn't do any mods to it and just used it. Never know. Make a thread, post up some good pics, and you'll get help no doubt. Hopefully the radio is at least working, and powers up and operates. If it shows more than what the stock power should be, than its most likely been messed with some. Good luck man and is yours a black or silver face Jackson?? Just curious. Again, welcome to the forum and enjoy. Lots of good people here and if you post a thread I am sure you'll get your answers. Good day.

Thank you so much for the reply 222DBFL .

It is the black face. The radio feels like it was never used. I am ordering a power/swr meter very soon,but as far as I know it has 4 w am/fm following french laws. Its said to be from a display rack in a store in France. And it only consume between 4 and 6-7 amps from my power supply. I will take pictures tonight and make the tread. Both inside and outside.

Btw. Another good sign this radio is a "virgin" is that all knobs and switches does what they suppose to. The radio might even have a bit to much RX. If am not mistaken that was a mod worth doing as it was a bit to much right from factory.. but I might remember wrong.

They have a sensitive rx for sure. And no worries. I loved my black faced Jackson! Had 2. Long ago, 15+ years. Good radios for SSB!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated