• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President McKinley signal loss and regain when mic is keyed and released.

ForestRunner98

WDX-917 (917 Pasadena mobile)
Feb 9, 2020
Pasadena, California
Well…it seems I am having an issue.

The radio will lose signal, like it’s attenuated, and then regain after mic is keyed and released. It’s weird cause it can still make contacts. Coast to coast. I will recheck all the connections to make sure nothing is loose. The quick check I did…everything was tight.

I am using a modded Cobra M75 mic but that shouldn’t make a difference. Maybe bypass the KL203 and see if that could be the culprit? So weird. Even when the signal is “attenuated”…SWR is low. The only thing I would think is that it’s the radio.

Any suggestions good people??? I tired researching but found nothing.

Thank you!!!!

• Wow
Reactions: Rwb

On this radio does a mic have to be connected for there to be receive? If so the problem could be the mic, mic plug, or the mic male plug on the radio. You can test this by tapping on the mic and wiggle the mic plug. If the receive pops back in then that's it.

On this radio does a mic have to be connected for there to be receive? If so the problem could be the mic, mic plug, or the mic male plug on the radio. You can test this by tapping on the mic and wiggle the mic plug. If the receive pops back in then that's it.
Just tried your suggestion and the radio does receive with the mic disconnected. Thank you though.

Reactions: Rwb
Well…it seems I am having an issue.

The radio will lose signal, like it’s attenuated, and then regain after mic is keyed and released. It’s weird cause it can still make contacts. Coast to coast. I will recheck all the connections to make sure nothing is loose. The quick check I did…everything was tight.

I am using a modded Cobra M75 mic but that shouldn’t make a difference. Maybe bypass the KL203 and see if that could be the culprit? So weird. Even when the signal is “attenuated”…SWR is low. The only thing I would think is that it’s the radio.

Any suggestions good people??? I tired researching but found nothing.

Thank you!!!!
Awe man, just a few days ago you were still trouble free and giving props to the little radio.... go figure, that's the sort of thing I thought only happened to me.

I was really considering one of these but now I'll watch this episode unfold before making another move!

Awe man, just a few days ago you were still trouble free and giving props to the little radio.... go figure, that's the sort of thing I thought only happened to me.

I was really considering one of these but now I'll watch this episode unfold before making another move!
Right!! Besides this the radio, amp and antenna work like they should.

Stay tuned!!!

Reactions: Rwb and Eldorado828
I had a bad connection inside my Sonar 2340 that acted just like that. The little bare wire that goes to the antenna socket was broken, but still connected. Most of the time. I fixed it with a blob of solder.

A broken antenna wire connection somewhere would do this.

Hmm…now your making me wonder. I did thighten the nut on the the radio antenna socket. Maybe I twisted it a bit while tightening it. I will add this to my check list.

So I removed the radio and opened her up.

B6813107-691C-4B50-8257-4CD69B19EB62.jpegCB1DE99A-487D-47ED-89C5-48775C3D5912.jpeg
Didn’t see anything at the antenna jack. All looks good.

BUT!! Before I removed the radio I wiggled this back and forth a bit and did notice some attenuation.

22DC6DA3-0260-4B27-AA8F-373D727019ED.jpeg

Too many connectors!!! Radio has a right angle connector to clear the a/c duct and these guys attached to run down to the coax. Took this crap off minus that one angle connector. Seems like it’s working like it should. Going to have to check again when driving. I believe those dumb cheap connectors were rattling and had become loose.

So I kept it KISS(keep it simple stupid) If I reuse that Palomar filter I will just use a small 1’ or so piece of coax.

More reports in the next few days but I wanted to say thank you to all that responded!!! You guys have better time than to help this mud-duck so I really appreciate you all!!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.