• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Randy fcc

Cherokee used to make a handheld with SSB and Midland ( Alan) also had one, not sure if they make them any more.

I talked to Bill, HappyHamer on lsb on his handheld I think it was a Cherokee.
Good sounding radio and it was working the Dx, Illinois to CA.

Jeff
Good to know. I know that in Italy many stores carry the Alan line from MIDLAND and seem to be very popular radios (especially the mobile ones).
Thanks, I’ll look at the handhelds as well!

The Albrecht AE2990 is a side band handheld, unfortunately it is also about $300.

https://www.cbshop.com/en/Albrecht_AE-2990

AM/FM/SSB

Plus quite a bit in required options.
And shipping from EU.

You could get past $400 quickly.

And no better on a rubber duckie.

So the real question has more to do with an antenna that is “portable”, yet better than the rubber duck.

SSB & FM are desirable, no question.

As the Randy will do AM at 3-5/miles on the rubber duckie (10-miles/LOS per one report), will FM & SSB act so well as to justify tripling the price?

Money is not the determinant of value, here, it highlights not just added expense but added complexity against already VG AM performance on the Randy.

I don’t see any reason to avoid purchase of the Randy as portability is the overwhelming attribute.

Last edited:
These are available on Italian and UK stores.
053ECCA6-0061-43B4-A343-8A1343C53A4B.jpeg A5C0EDAB-3DED-486D-B0CF-6F975E004DEC.jpeg
AM/FM/SSB

Plus quite a bit in required options.
And shipping from EU.

You could get past $400 quickly.

And no better on a rubber duckie.

So the real question has more to do with an antenna that is “portable”, yet better than the rubber duck.

SSB & FM are desirable, no question.

As the Randy will do AM at 3-5/miles on the rubber duckie (10-miles/LOS per one report), will FM & SSB act so well as to justify tripling the price?

Money is not the determinant of value, here, it highlights not just added expense but added complexity against already VG AM performance on the Randy.

I don’t see any reason to avoid purchase of the Randy as portability is the overwhelming attribute.

Ya tripling the price might not be justified. Improving performance by using a longer and better antenna (if available) might be doable! Just like mobile, it's always a quest to find a better performing antenna (the antenna system pretty much makes or brakes the radio anyway).

These are available on Italian and UK stores.
View attachment 47057 View attachment 47058

Ya tripling the price might not be justified. Improving performance by using a longer and better antenna (if available) might be doable! Just like mobile, it's always a quest to find a better performing antenna (the antenna system pretty much makes or brakes the radio anyway).

Among radio types, in Class IV it’s in having re-chargeable, lightweight, long-lasting lithium that is “best”.

A portable failing at having built-in power on-par with the Randy really isn’t a contender, is it?

Reactions: Rebel Outlaw
Among radio types, in Class IV it’s in having re-chargeable, lightweight, long-lasting lithium that is “best”.

A portable failing at having built-in power on-par with the Randy really isn’t a contender, is it?

You are right! I only looked up the Midlands because @AudioShockwav mentioned them. However the same store in Italy also sells the Lincoln II, Lincoln II Export and the Randy.
The good thing about any President product, right now, is availability(in Europe as well as here, multiple units available(y)). There are several products that are not available in North America but I doubt that it would be worth importing any because of the expense involved and customs.

Reactions: Slowmover
Unfortunately the latest forum upgrade killed all the YouTube videos that were previously posted. It is a huge loss for these old threads.

I recently bought two more Randy radios and wanted to adjust the modulation. Basically you hold down the ANL/NB and SCAN keys while powering on to get into the engineering menu for power and modulation. The PWR settings are carrier power for high and low, the AM-HI and AM-LO are the modulation adjustments. Push the PTT to view and adjust the set points. Write down your old numbers incase you goof something up, you can have something to go back to.

Unfortunately the latest forum upgrade killed all the YouTube videos that were previously posted. It is a huge loss for these old threads.

I recently bought two more Randy radios and wanted to adjust the modulation. Basically you hold down the ANL/NB and SCAN keys while powering on to get into the engineering menu for power and modulation. The PWR settings are carrier power for high and low, the AM-HI and AM-LO are the modulation adjustments. Push the PTT to view and adjust the set points. Write down your old numbers incase you goof something up, you can have something to go back to.

I use mine for work pretty regularly, thanks for the adjustment tips. Just got a speaker mic, haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Todd

We are aware of the issue and will let you know the result,
I agree there was a ton of stuff in the links.

Jeff

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?