• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Randy fcc

The Virginia / New York is a neat little antenna, great match for the President Randy FCC for a low profile setup. Distance is always going to be compromise with a small antenna like that but it works pretty well all things considered. If I was flying someplace and then renting a car that would be a great combo.
It does have a "stealth" look which may deter someone from looking into your vehicle when unattended, but.....if you apply the large oval advertisement decal onto a window, all bets are off! Ha! ha! ha!

It does have a "stealth" look which may deter someone from looking into your vehicle when unattended, but.....if you apply the large oval advertisement decal onto a window, all bets are off! Ha! ha! ha!
Nah, that decal looks good near the station or test bench. No sense in advertising on the vehicle, especially this day in age.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Thx, Recon.

I use my Garmin GPS to determine air miles. I’ve underestimated more often than over.

FWIW, the Thruway stays pretty quiet once past Albany headed towards Buffalo. If we use Albany as our departure point, the section S to NYC usually doesn’t have much except bulk haulers trying to get one more load (concerned about scale house checking their logs).

Traffic volume picks up noticeably once near the Tappan Zee Bridge.

I’m saying, from pre-dawn till 1500 that there should be some AM-19 chatter the nearer one is to IH-287.

And, use the mile marker + travel direction to ask and reply to radio checks. A big truck driver (me) would be saying. I just put this radio in here (to get others to chime in with their mile marker in reply). “How’m I gettin’ out NB at the 126-mile stick?

The more you tell em how good their radio sounds, the more will key up to ask about theirs.

Hey, Bubba, I’m NB coming onto the 128 marker and you’re loud & proud”. An inline SWR/RF meter helps. “Boy, ya puttin’ six-pounds on me” (etc). It’s rare enough to get conscientious air checks such that most of us will join in. (Some are just too shy to ever ask).

Some jarhead jargon will crack em up, too. A Deep Bubba-Fried Driver with some new or not-previously used terms is one of the best guys on the road. Wit, makes a long day shorter.

Just a smidge.

I was winding my way east one day on 76 in PA and had one guy purposefully confuse the locals about how he couldn’t stand Snapple. Greasy. White trash etc. Took awhile to get him to admit to confusing it with, scrapple.

He hadn’t. But he HAD given his rant some thought beforehand. He was hookin’ fish right & left with his “genuine” bewilderment and disgust.

I live in Upstate / Central NY between Fonda and Syracuse adjacent to the NY Thruway. I travel to and from Syracuse and Rochester to visit relatives and friends and Ch. 19 chit-chat isn't what is used to be but there a few truckers who have talked to me when I am mobile and on my base.

Reactions: Slowmover
I live in Upstate / Central NY between Fonda and Syracuse adjacent to the NY Thruway. I travel to and from Syracuse and Rochester to visit relatives and friends and Ch. 19 chit-chat isn't what is used to be but there a few truckers who have talked to me when I am mobile and on my base.

For someone who’s never seen them Thru-Way Triples are a helluva sight. Not them short little FedEx doubles (pup trailers), but three 53’ trailers hitched to a single tractor.

Prettiest Interstate in the entire country. Some others have scenic grandeur, but none — none — traverse land as beautiful as that in update New York.

What drivers there are tend to be quite good. But don’t be surprised many have radios off altogether. That road has beautiful maintenance, abundant services, and low volumes of commercial traffic. Not much comes from the Midwest to New England that isn’t first subdivided in eastern PA. What little there is goes to the Albany area. So it’s like driving alone. Relaxing. Turn off the chatterbox.

Service Menu

Thx.

Word gets around about this little CB it’s gonna be popular.

I can see a completed (nice) automobile install where a typical big radio might reside. With a KL-203 just hook her up and go.

Do the install where the rest of any components are out of the way. Put the radio away until wanted (velcro patch on dashboard).

Or, a VOX headset.

Reactions: Eldorado828
Thx.

Word gets around about this little CB it’s gonna be popular.

I can see a completed (nice) automobile install where a typical big radio might reside. With a KL-203 just hook her up and go.

Do the install where the rest of any components are out of the way. Put the radio away until wanted (velcro patch on dashboard).

Or, a VOX headset.

Bought one a few weeks back at Larry’s CB. Would have preferred the EU version (FM also), but this one was available NOW.

Still haven’t unboxed it.

Looking forward to seeing how it’ll do swapped into place for BIG radio in a mobile.

Plus, I’ve wanted a second radio to use as CB Scanner. Let the scanner find the action and switch over the Main radio to that channel.

We’ve noted before in CB “scanning” that it would be great if 19 could be bypassed during a search.

And, though it may not matter today, there might be a day I’d want a CB to walk around with.

A wireless mic has a limited range (but operates the BIG radio), this fills that next length of distance from a mobile or base. Granted, one’s now relegated to CLOSE comms (CB-wise) versus the distances a BIG radio might cover.

Last edited:
Ya was thinking about getting this for the spotter radio in my jeep. Now I think I will wait for FM and get a pair. AM will let me keep compatibility and the FM will be nice portable to portable.

I have a uniden pro401hh. Its dead simple and works but the pile of AA's it needs are a hassle.

FM a good idea this radio. But who sez I can’t have three?

One, as big truck AM-only backup (US-version as purchased).

Two more, as an AM-FM pair (EU-only at present).

Am working the GPS to see what is the change to divert thru Walcott, IA for that handy-dandy lapel mic. (And other store goodies).

Loaded Grand Rapids, MI and then a fuel stop on the state line.

Non-stop hard run across top of Indiana thru Illinois’ Chicagoland to Walcott, IOWA. (250-miles?)

Got that optional PRESIDENT ACRM405 microphone for the Randy.

(Got more besides, but all that effort for a $17.95/mic makes a better dumb trucker story).

Whatever gear might make this portable adapt to circumstance is of interest to me. It’s shirt pocket size is also glove-box or seat-console easy-to-store size.

In the event the vehicle main radio ever went kaput, this looks like the easiest one to keep as backup.

VOX is the next step to make happen.

Last edited:
Has anyone made the PRESIDENT Randy their vehicle radio?

The rest of the installation (coax & power & external speaker systems) could be hidden pretty well.

— Convert to BATT power (hidden KL-203).
— Adapter to run standard mobile antenna with a low-key NMO-mount (PRESIDENT Maryland @ 58”)
— Speaker under drivers seat faced forward (KES-5).

And no radio in view.

A4A5F71E-3770-4F14-BAC5-ECEF2F8172FF.jpeg

The desirability of a radio ready-to-go for those not otherwise interested (just AM highway reports on road trips) seems pretty high, I’d bet it’s the greatest number of those expressing interest in a CB Radio.

A mag-mount antenna almost defeats the purpose of “ready-to-run”. The Randy removed the objection of “no space”, so NMO install the thing.

Given use of the Maryland, KL-203 and a KES-5, it looks like it’d be an easy, true 3-5 mile rig.

$400?

Last edited:
Have the night off, so got this Radio out to charge plus do a quick familiarization.

Load tomorrow at noon 60-miles away, but not expecting any radio traffic due to holiday.

(That said, will run it on ASC plus Hi-Cut plus Compander. If the base station locals are on-air, they “should” be able to get past those).

The PRESIDENT external Mic is compact and has a nice, solid feel. Belt-type clip on rear. Will clip that to shirt-front to see if it’s all viable for driving. Otherwise will hang above steering wheel.

Will convert DC-power cable to work with supplied plug or a jumper to go into the POWERWERX Buss Bar with APPs.

— West mountain radio DSP plugs right in.

— Power dropped to low output to run KL-7405.

Idea is to “make ready” for use as the back-up radio.

Experiments as a CB Scanner to follow.

Shown hanging from a GearKeeper to avoid removing main radio. Above right-hand edge of steering wheel. No plan, just make it work first time out.

— Power cable extends down to cigar lighter plug in this pic. (Nice & long).

— Mic “will” extend to shirt-front, but will hang it to be within easy reach.

This configuration is noticeable going down the road. From any angle. So will come up with a better method to keep it ready & within reach, yet not obvious to passers-by when parked nor to other drivers when underway. IOW, the same as with main radio.

837D6F8D-FCDD-449C-9A7F-58D94B1DA220.jpeg

Last edited:
Also picked up a COBRA mic with built-in speaker (see BELLS CB website for mic options). Will have to get some of that special .357 Twins sock material that repels beer.

A throat-type mic with earpiece could also work. I believe that’s the way I’d like to run this, in general (walk-around).

Edit: First RX parked outside Grand Rapids, MI. Local on a base. ASC partly cut him out, but not as much as the Lincoln does. Hope the ASC is more what manufacturer promises.

Edit: First TX asking for air check from same location as above. Respondent was close by and crystal-clear.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated