• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Randy fcc

Ya the ASC doesn't work well at all on my linc. :(

Interesting how the Euro model has a PL antenna connector on the battery eliminator but on the US version you have to mess with the BNC on the top.

Here is some FM Randy action I found on the youtubes

Reactions: Slowmover
As the Lincoln is — for me — a “big” radio (maximum signal acquisition) it’s less of a disappointment as I don’t wish to use Squelch. Nevertheless, I agree. If on the phone it’d be nice to only capture the close, strong TX. The Mute Button.

The video showing 3-3.5/miles reception to a base off the rubber duckie (tested past that) is a nice thread addition, thanks.

I’ve a grab handle in the KW near the drivers A-pillar which is an ingress/egress assist. I see other drivers mount GPS units or telephones on it.

Has anyone tried a RAM MOUNT to hold a PRESIDENT Randy?

What other screw-on antenna for portable use?

Last edited:
For what the little rigs are, they are pretty impressive imo. First time I've seen the add on lapel mic, that sure makes it easy for the quick trip in a spare truck. Let us know how it does with a real antenna system.
Ya the ASC doesn't work well at all on my linc. :(

Interesting how the Euro model has a PL antenna connector on the battery eliminator but on the US version you have to mess with the BNC on the top.

Here is some FM Randy action I found on the youtubes

I mirror your thoughts on the difference with antenna connection. Sure seems like the euro version is a better suit for using an external antenna.

For what the little rigs are, they are pretty impressive imo. First time I've seen the add on lapel mic, that sure makes it easy for the quick trip in a spare truck. Let us know how it does with a real antenna system.

I mirror your thoughts on the difference with antenna connection. Sure seems like the euro version is a better suit for using an external antenna.

I’ll be testing the R the first few hundred miles of my backhaul. Not going to work my way through functions, per se.

The radio isn’t heavy or bulky, but it’s still a bit much for a shirt. A jacket or coat makes the PRESIDENT mic easy to use where (maybe) an earpiece is in use. Or the radio attached to ones person such that audio isn’t muffled.

The top-mount antenna connector does not interfere with having the battey pack charger attached is what’s maybe worth saying for this FCC version. The EU version has both antenna connectors (top & bottom) where charger use also doesn’t interfere.

So, FM plus Antenna versatility as noted for EU. (Price differential plus overseas shipping).

FCC-version about $140.

Edit: As the sun is now up — ambient noise level has climbed — I’ve heard some Roger burps on AM-19, but no intelligible words. Have DSP Speaker cranked hard over. All unit noise control ON.

— A holiday Sunday isn’t any good test. Nor will be the run commencing today and into tomorrow (finishes Tuesday). Likelihood of holiday wrecks keeps me from wanting to use it very long. Few big trucks and fewer good radio rigs.

Last edited:
I used the Randy a short time in the KW. RX & TX both seemed fine. Had it been swapped for a UNIDEN 880 it would have seemed comparable given a handheld versus a mobile. (The Randy has some better features).

The optional mic had good reports.

A lapel speaker/mic and carrying the radio on a belt clip seems an obvious use. Work VOX into that. (Or — maybe? — lower 12V draw with earpiece).

This radio will be going to my son. A good fly & drive (which he does and I don’t), or as the campsite radio with dipole in trees, the McKinley in the car as main unit.

Imagination set loose.

I’ll let him figure solar re-charge, etc.

At $140 this unit seems a no-brainer to get the most from other radios owned (family & neighborhood comms, first) plus, easy portability for travel.

Last edited:
Maybe the order of radios ought to be:

POWER DRAW

I. Base; heavy draw, tied to AC Mains.

II. Base/Mobile; significant draw, needs diesel/gas genset for extended ops (big amp pickup; commercial vehicle).

III. Mobile, tied to DC BATT bank (small car compatible).

IV. Portable; man-carried BATT set.

In this, the RANDY is Class Four, and an aid to other classes.

We could flip order of importance and say a handheld is MOST versatile.

I wish it had side band. I will probably get one to take to the beach. Maybe rig up a 9 foot beach umbrella.:whistle: Interested in your opinion on it.
Yes Shadetree Mechanic, I feel the same. I have yet to own an AM only radio as all mine are SSB. Even if you are a big AM user it's always good to have the SSB option!

Yes Shadetree Mechanic, I feel the same. I have yet to own an AM only radio as all mine are SSB. Even if you are a big AM user it's always good to have the SSB option!

Not meaning to be argumentative, but the Randy advantage is that one is not tied to vehicle or building.

— The Randy is pretty well always the second radio of a given radio system. Where another radio already exists in use.

— The Randy is both adjunct and backup.

When Randy is fly’n drive primary, how effective is another radio on SSB with short mobile antenna?

Exactly, what is one giving up? As mobile performance SSB may be no big deal anyway?

Reactions: Rebel Outlaw
:):):)
Not meaning to be argumentative, but the Randy advantage is that one is not tied to vehicle or building.

— The Randy is pretty well always the second radio of a given radio system. Where another radio already exists in use.

— The Randy is both adjunct and backup.

When Randy is fly’n drive primary, how effective is another radio on SSB with short mobile antenna?

Exactly, what is one giving up? As mobile performance SSB may be no big deal anyway?

No argument as everybody needs a portable as well! I guess it’s the same reason as to why I don’t have a real base station and use mobiles instead(if I have to “grab and go” it’s a lot easier to stash and carry 3 148’s than 1 cobra 2000). You have a good point when you say not being tied to a vehicle or building (main advantage of portables). I guess the only disadvantage of any portable, in most cases, would be antenna performance(but that is the “nature of the beast”). In any case it’s always better to just have one (yes, or multiple:)).

If there is a truly portable CB handheld with SSB . . is RX any good? What of TX?

IOW, the objection to a portable not being SSB-capable may not be relevant.
Good point. I don’t know if they make a SSB portable. However just like many things in life you can’t have it all! (have to give something up). I was just pointing out the fact that all my mobiles were SSB. What about a small mobile and carrying it like they do in the military?(y) Challenge might be finding the “perfect antenna” (or less than perfect).
Just a taught anyway! Maybe somebody here has already done it, who knows?

I used the Randy a short time in the KW. RX & TX both seemed fine. Had it been swapped for a UNIDEN 880 it would have seemed comparable given a handheld versus a mobile. (The Randy has some better features).

The optional mic had good reports.

A lapel speaker/mic and carrying the radio on a belt clip seems an obvious use. Work VOX into that. (Or — maybe? — lower 12V draw with earpiece).

This radio will be going to my son. A good fly & drive (which he does and I don’t), or as the campsite radio with dipole in trees, the McKinley in the car as main unit.

Imagination set loose.

I’ll let him figure solar re-charge, etc.

At $140 this unit seems a no-brainer to get the most from other radios owned (family & neighborhood comms, first) plus, easy portability for travel.

Since you mentioned it, do you own a McKinley? If so, are you happy with it? Good reports? Reliable unit? It is available in my area (he orders straight from President). It seems to be the only CB that is widely available and easy to get ASAP compared to other rigs that are discontinued, not available, or difficult to order.

Since you mentioned it, do you own a McKinley? If so, are you happy with it? Good reports? Reliable unit? It is available in my area (he orders straight from President). It seems to be the only CB that is widely available and easy to get ASAP compared to other rigs that are discontinued, not available, or difficult to order.

Used it one trip to verify operation. Have written about it elsewhere.

Reactions: Rebel Outlaw

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.