• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pros and Cons needed

G GOLLY WAlly

WDX 719 / Waldo on AM
Mar 4, 2018
Sourh Eastern Oklahoma
Im going to buy a trailer, because i'm tired of having to borrow one when I need it. But Im not sure if I want one with the dove tail or not. It will be used mostly for hauling loads to big for the bed of my pickup, and occasionally my tractor. I'm thinking the dove tail with heavy duty ramps for the occasional times I would need to load the tractor. I would appreciate feed back from some of you that have dove tail trailers. some of the pros and cons.
Thank you in advance.

G Golly , Just my thoughts , I personally don't like them . That Dovetail has caused " Me " a lot of grief over the years . It makes it easier to load , but ... the dovetail makes it in my case anyway , a PIA . I have a " Town Installed Berm " it's not much but just makes it a PIA backing a 20 Ton Trailer w/ Back Hoe in . Seems to hang up in a lot of spots , plus when loaded , I always seem to hit " That Bump " & throw sparks . :whistle::LOL: Just my opinion . Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo

The few we used in the oilfield 8-10 years ago weren’t well-made. BIG TEX, for example. Known as Big Flex.

Low-cost
drives this low-quality industry.

PJ was better. Some.

I’ve seen some DIAMOND brand I thought worth a further look.

I’ve gone past a few stuck dovetails and yanked ‘em out with the 367 Pete. I’d expect that’s common. And damned hard on them.

Watched yet another running IH37 at Robstown in Lane One at 65+ all by itself. Passed the pickup hauling it.

73B00638-75A0-4AF3-B914-0F0B4FAF2A0B.png

This family-owned oil field service company in Alice, TX was begun by a friend of my late father-in-law in 1949. Trailers custom-built in San Antonio. I was so impressed by their performance following them down those damnable lease roads, I made sure to find out who built them.

Dry hole, GGW, I’ve been all over that patch the last hour and can’t remember the name.

They also operate in WV. You see their pickups hauling a trailer (any type) you know what to do!!

Last edited:
cant think of the town in oklahoma but blue diamond builds damm good trailers,see lots of hotshots usin them.
East of claramore on old 66

Looked up my earlier reference. East Texas.
Diamond C is one I’d research.

Though not this brand, the trailers we ran were on dual tandems (8-tires), were 9k empty, and could gross 30k+

Last edited:
Well , I think we made our point ? Especially when Slo chimes in ! (y) If anyone knows he does ! :LOL: I'm just a Mere Peasant towing a Back Hoe ! :ROFLMAO: Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo

The body takes the “payment”. The bank account, not so much.

Maybe the single advantage I bring to this is some experience coupled to traveling the country. Others here may well have experience with a GN over a greater amount of time. We ran them very hard, with heavy loads, but “rust” (as example) wouldn’t have mattered over such a short period. Conceivably, the degree thereof may sway buyers.

I do see some very fine pickup truck-related trailers of impressive build, buy they are obviously aimed at the corporate Ag concern. $$$$.

FESCO trailers (custom) get sold off sooner or later. Those Diamond C trailers are impressive, but so is the price tag. I’d wanted a hydraulic dump trailer years back. It’s E-Z to pass $12k at Diamond C for one.

Avoiding low-quality brand is the biggest thing. Online research and hitting the various dealers to make inspections of maybe 2-3 brands is the advice I’d give.

“Used” is always for sale. I’d want to avoid the worst.

(Diamond C uses Lippert Axles which I’d never accept. Axle-related problems come up all the time. HADCO ENGINEERING is the model here).

Some folks believe the unthinkable can’t happen. When it does, that big open trailer is my family’s Conestoga. What a waste of money it couldn’t be relied on.

Etc.

Caveat Emptor

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.