• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pros and Cons needed

Also: Go to RV.net “Open Roads” forum.

Find the 04/08/2014 thread, “Re-Wiring the Brakes”
by mrekim

Nothing too hard to understand in this and linked threads.

What do I see on the dealers lot?

Other
than disc brakes I don’t find acceptable.
Same with leaf-spring suspension.

But where they exist

1). Is the wiring to USCG standard?
2). Is the leaf steel 5160 AISI?

— Brake controller should be (only) DIRECLINK (TUSON Corp). Personally, I don’t much care what’s in the pickup, factory or aftermarket.

— Plus their trailer-mount electronic anti-sway module (faster, and more effective than what may be in truck computer. Hitch type irrelevant)

“Flyswatter”
open-type mud flaps. Back to a city curb and cut upper to mount higher to clear those.

— A portable high-mount brake & turn lamp set as addition.
No one sees those low-mount trailer lamps.

Last edited:
Well, had a trailer show up today (dovetail) I can see where it would be easy to drag that backend, thank I'll avoid those. Low mount brake lights, don't like em either, drug one off for the most part on a trailer I borrowed, then had replace it on my dime. That's only right since the trailer belonged to someone else, but it still stings a little, another reason I want my own trailer I don't have to worry about tearing someone else's trailer up.

It’s been a make-a-millionaire business for almost twenty years.

Once transmissions in pickups caught up to power output (and 6+ forward speeds) even the dummies don’t tear them up.

funny thing i pulled a 26' featherlite aluminum stock trailer behind my 68 ihc 3/4ton pickup 345 power n never had a bit of clutch or transmission problem and ive had er stuffed full of big cows .but for its time thatihc was overbuilt too.
I hauled lots of cattle n hogs back in late 80s with it

IHC guzzled fuel, but hard to stall. A commercial gasoline engine.
Not a gussied-up car motor. Remember what the flywheel weighed?
never had it off but had 1 off a 304 n it weighed about 120 pounds ,chevy ,ford and chrysler big block flywheels averaged 75 to 80 pounds.
That 345 not crouding it put them 460 fors n 454 chevys in the dust

Here's my towing story , besides that discounted , that sat on the lot 5 years before I bought it , I might get the year wrong , still have it nobody wants it , just sitting out back in the field . 1980 GMC 427 Gasoline w/4barrrel carb , Loaded w/ Gravel , Towing a JD 4wd 410 on that 20 Ton trailer , decent hill near my house , I ran out of gears ! Never Shifted so much in my life ! Now I know what that truck sat there ... it just plain sucked ! Motor ain't worth a beans to pull , it's a truck motor , high decks , low compression . On the other hand my 1986 Winny 33' MH , towed a 20' horse trailer , got 10 mph towing or not , but at least that thing had torque ! Not a Hill In VT or Upstate NY I couldn't get up w/ 2 horses in it . Just in the wind that thing was like a Kite ! :LOL: Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo

Ended up buying this Texas Bragg
20201009_133816.jpg
trailer disc brakes, led lighting, 18 ft long, 83 inches wide, pipe top rails. Hopefully it's a good one, finding a trailer has been like finding a needle in a haystack. They had two the size I was looking for so I jumped on it. Apparently they have a high demand for trailers because most dealers have a 3 to 6 month backlog.

How
Ended up buying this Texas Bragg View attachment 41201 trailer disc brakes, led lighting, 18 ft long, 83 inches wide, pipe top rails. Hopefully it's a good one, finding a trailer has been like finding a needle in a haystack. They had two the size I was looking for so I jumped on it. Apparently they have a high demand for trailers because most dealers have a 3 to 6 month backlog.
heavy are the axles rated?
Now your gonna have many MANY friends

For anyone, not just OP:

1). TUSON
Brake Controller.

2). TUSON Electronic (trailer-mount) Antisway.

(Those two are state-of-the-art. Better than Detroit OEM).

Adjustable (regular) hitch to keep trailer level (in/on the bubble) to keep braking effectiveness highest (stopping, or stopping sway). Need all four brakes, not just the front axle pair.

For regular heavy loads (at or above 500-lbs TW), an EAZ-Lift WD hitch. And, your year of pickup could use hitch receiver reinforcements.

(Same here, want ALL FOUR AXLES braking the same).

A 4WD pickup is the likeliest vehicle to lose control of a trailer. Off-road tread makes it worse again.

WD set: Solo pickup Steer Axle weighs same as when hitched (same load in pickup). Adjust hitch to that. Three passes across CAT Scale. Tensioned, Loosened and Solo. (Adjust to match).

Some low height load of materials is one thing to run around with. But a car or tractor or whatever is tall and tippy has a BAD center of gravity. That’s where all the “insurance” pays.

What wind can catch, man should caution himself.

Tongue Weight IS NOT PAYLOAD. It is a placeholder number re trailer weight percentage on ball. Changes constantly while underway. A WDH moves that lever arm force to ALL axles, not just the ball.

The “weight” of a trailer isn’t important. It’s the DYNAMIC factors at play while moving.

(VERY, VERY pleased to see disc brakes on the trailer!!).

Last edited:
Reactions: G GOLLY WAlly
Slo , That's Old School , like my new Expedition , pretty sure his brake control is already mounted in the dash ? Not sure ? What say G ? Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo

Reactions: Slowmover
Just to reiterate what @Slowmover - emphasizes - LEVEL your LOAD! <<<--- For anyone to read and understand.

Remember that the length of tongue to trailer axle - weighs heavily on the ability of the hitch to trailer axle and combined with rear tuck axle height - all of this shifts and changes as you drive. so the more balanced the load, the less likely for a failure with of load shift or bearing / axle fail occurring.

Balance your center of gravity on the trailer - for it affects how your truck will be able to distribute the load forces with all wheels on take-off and stopping - once momentum is gained, the inertia will rock that load on the bed with a force back and forth on those rear tires as it tries to keep up being towed. So the lower the load to the trailer bed, And balanced on those trailer axles the better. Too heavy on the tongue, your moments of inertia and momentum shifting up and down can ruin your day.

You might want to look into how you will be utilizing the loads. Dirt or Gravel is one thing, but a Tractor or vehicle is QUITE a bit different.

Referring to the Axle loading on that rear axle tandem, if you can make some adjustment to that center of gravity and the location of the axle from the tongue to rear - think 18-wheeler tandem slides - this may give your trailer a bit more versatility

Tongue weight is a number - not a best guess either - it's a rule.

Can't stress it enough...

Good choice! Wish you the best with it!

Slo , That's Old School , like my new Expedition , pretty sure his brake control is already mounted in the dash ? Not sure ? What say G ? Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo

It’s unlikely ANY oem controller is as good. TUSON wrote the book. Their antilock trailer-mount unit is the best way to go (of all).

See review (high speed testing) on Mr Truck site

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated