• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

QRZ gets a Wakeup Call

There's some of the problem right there. Those are not "your bands". They are licensed to HAMS to use. They do not belong to you. They belong to the FCC. They can yank them from you in a minute. If you HAMS have nothing better to do than gripe about lowly old cb'ers and their radios then you all need to get a life. I mean really folks. Just how hard is it to get a ticket? It's not rocket science. Those idiots that buy export radios and go into HAM bands where they aren't allowed to be are just that... Idiots. Because who wants to talk to a bunch of stuffy, nose thumbing people anyhow. There is way too much errogance in the HAM community. Your license makes you no better than a guy who has a CDL over your regular car only drivers license. Or does it?

so by your logic its cool with you if anybody wants to come in your house at any time and hang out on your couch since after all its not really "your" house since the bank owns it and the government can take it at any time????

<<google "eminent domain" if youve never heard the term>>

or to put it another way all these undocumented illegal aliens in our country are A-ok since hey we dont own the whole country...the government owns an awful lot of it and can take anything they want
<again see "eminent domain">>

who am i to stop paco or achmed or whoever from coming here just because its NOT LEGAL??

you ever complain about illegal immigrants?? or people in this country who CANT speak english and dont even bother to trying to learn and FULLY expect you to learn their language yet are STILL in america ? or having to press "1" for english?

same thing my friend...they dont belong here but our government in all their infinite wisdom doesnt want to be bothered

a non-ham on 10M IS an illegal immigrant....do you see the analogy there??

youre right in that getting a ticket is not rocket science....so whats stopping people who want to talk on 10M from getting theirs???

thats all i'm trying to say

if you dont have a HAM ticket stay off of the HAM bands

i cannot fathom your logic in how hams wanting non-hams to stay off of the ham bands can possibly be construed as us thinking that we are "better" somehow than non-hams

maybe you would like to explain your reasoning behind this?
because i'm lost

and where did i say "lowly old cb'ers" ???my keyboard must be typing things that im not

nothing at all "wrong" with being a "cb'er" and i never said that there was....i still use 11M quite a bit....

all we're asking is for people to show a little respect by not "coming into our house" if they werent invited

ANYBODY is more than welcome on the bands if they get their "not rocket science" piece of paper that says they're allowed there

How can a HAM posses and operate a radio that a). Is not FCC type accepted, and b) not even supposed to be in this friggin' country?

Aren't HAMS the "big" FCC by the book guru's?

Because Amateur operators are governed by Part 97 of US Code that permits them to use equipment that is NOT permitted in other services such as 11 Meter CB (Part 95). They can even BUILD transmitters and assemble systems for their use while CBers are not to do that. The main issue is U S E A G E! Amateur equipment, for the most part, does NOT have to be certified (except it must meet certain minimum standards) so long as it is only used in the amateur service.As to the so-called "export" radios, it is the import, sales, advertising and marketing of such equipment that is against the law. When it is modified to use either on 11 Meters, or used for BOTH 10 and 11 Meters, THEN it becomes ILLEGAL!

The biggest issue hams have with them is hearing them bootlegging on 10 or 12 meters!! :thumbdown: :angry:

CWM

Hence the original INTENT of the manufacturer.

Wouldn't this also fall under "easily modified"? That's just looking at it from another angle...

I would wonder what the Hams think of the operators, in every other country, operating "illegally," bleeding over Ham frequencies (although operating legally in their country), they have no FCC license and are talking on "illegal" equipment, but I'll bet most Hams are all to glad to talk with them (DX anyone?).

I just throw this out there to make a point...you get upset over someone in the US making noise on "your" frequency, but its absolutely fine for a Ham to talk with someone in another country...same thing, they are taking "Ham" bandwidth illegally (according to the regulations).

It will be fairly easy for the FCC to track internet stuff...not much resources needed, put one person under their thumb to get a bunch of names, makes them look like they are meeting that quota. I, for one, saw this coming a while ago...I often wondered how long it would take...here's my answer...

Of course we all forget about Radioactive being busted for selling stuff over the internet...

Wouldn't this also fall under "easily modified"? That's just looking at it from another angle...

Not at all. Easy to modify for MARS/CAP etc is NOT the same thing as having a 40 channel readout complete with the "A" channels programmed into it. THAT is what shows INTENT to operate on CB frequencies.

I would wonder what the Hams think of the operators, in every other country, operating "illegally," bleeding over Ham frequencies (although operating legally in their country), they have no FCC license and are talking on "illegal" equipment, but I'll bet most Hams are all to glad to talk with them (DX anyone?).

It's not so much the "bleedover" as it is the on frequency incursions into the ham bands. In case you did not know, ham bands are international allocations with slight differances in some ITU regions on a couple bands. 80m in Europe is an example of slight differances in bandwidth. It is also illegal for a ham to attempt to communicate with an unlicensed station inside the ham bands and it is also illegal for them to communicate with a station that is licensed but in another radio service inside the ham bands. An exception to this is during emergencies where a ham may communicate inside a ham band to the coast guard,navy etc.

I just throw this out there to make a point...you get upset over someone in the US making noise on "your" frequency, but its absolutely fine for a Ham to talk with someone in another country...same thing, they are taking "Ham" bandwidth illegally (according to the regulations).

Of course it is fine for a licensed ham to talk to someone in another country as long as that other "someone" is also a licensed ham. if you have no license you do not belong on ham frequencies just the same as if you have no drivers license you do not belong behind the wheel of a car.

It will be fairly easy for the FCC to track internet stuff...not much resources needed, put one person under their thumb to get a bunch of names, makes them look like they are meeting that quota. I, for one, saw this coming a while ago...I often wondered how long it would take...here's my answer...

Of course we all forget about Radioactive being busted for selling stuff over the internet...

Of course it is fine for a licensed ham to talk to someone in another country as long as that other "someone" is also a licensed ham. if you have no license you do not belong on ham frequencies just the same as if you have no drivers license you do not belong behind the wheel of a car.

What I'm getting at is those countries may not have a license, let alone a FCC license?? So if I read your other statement correctly, would that not mean it would be illegal (in most instances) to talk outside the country?

They don't have an FCC license outside US jurisdiction. . They are licensed through their own entity. It is legal for a Ham to talk all over the world to a licensed Ham on the Ham bands . You are not allowed to talk to them if they do not have a callsign (license).

I sort of doubt if there are many countries in the world that don't have some method of licensing for amateur radio. No idea about a 'CB' type licensing, but probably. Even in countries that do not have a department/agency for this sort of thing, I would be willing to bet that there would be some way of doing it.
I honestly can't think of any country in the world that doesn't have some method of radio licensing.
- 'Doc

What I'm getting at is those countries may not have a license, let alone a FCC license?? So if I read your other statement correctly, would that not mean it would be illegal (in most instances) to talk outside the country?

Maybe it's the lack of sleep but I don't quite follow you.ALL hams in ALL countries MUST be licensed by their respective government agencies. That is a requirement of the ITU,or,International Telecommunications Union.Each country may set their own requirements regarding the awarding of a license as long as it meets MINIMUM ITU requirements.All hams MUST be issued a valid callsign from an alpha-numeric base that is assigned to that particular country by the ITU.There is no such thing as a legal unlicensed ham in ANY country in the world.

I sort of doubt if there are many countries in the world that don't have some method of licensing for amateur radio. No idea about a 'CB' type licensing, but probably. Even in countries that do not have a department/agency for this sort of thing, I would be willing to bet that there would be some way of doing it.
I honestly can't think of any country in the world that doesn't have some method of radio licensing.
- 'Doc

That's correct Doc. See my note above. Even in the couple countries that forbid ham radio,like North Korea, there is still an agency that regulates and licenses radio communications.

The only thing remotely interesting in this is that QRZ thinks it shouldn't apply to them, whereas eBay, on the other hand should be held accountable.

And what's the difference? There isn't one.

I have a couple thoughts:

On EBay, a seller could sell something, like an amplifier, to someone in another country where they are legal, right? There are a lot of items that have an "illegal to use", which is different from "illegal to possess."

As a forum owner, you would be required to know everything being sale'd on your forum at any point in time and know what laws regulate what items...how would you know that about everything, all the time? For example, a linear being sold on an automotive forum, where there is little knowledge about said linear's legality.

Just other points of view...

Ridiculous, there are hundreds of ads on the web advertising these radios, so if the FCC will stop the advertising then shutdown Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom etc, and watch the big tax bucks dwindle, again the mentality of government control

DOCTOR/795

Kenwood, Yaesu and Icom among others do not manufacture CB radios. They are type accepted for ham radio use only. Same with the FT-101 it is manufactured as a ham radio.

Mind, it isn't just 11m and it doesn't have firmware to 'channelize' and display the 40 channels like the 'export' radios do..

The whole thing is ridiculous.

gee, i dunno.... it does have "memory frequencies" ......just plug in your favorite CB freqs... and instant "channels" are there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.