• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

QRZ gets a Wakeup Call

Sorry, you are wrong. I will send you the deposition of the FCC official I took. Seems he modified his ICOM to work on CB and used it to "listen." He testified that it is legal to modify any radio to work on CB, as long as you just "listen" but once the radio is modified it is illegal to sell it.

Amateur transceivers do not need certification except for Part 15.

Sorry, you are wrong. I will send you the deposition of the FCC official I took. Seems he modified his ICOM to work on CB and used it to "listen." He testified that it is legal to modify any radio to work on CB, as long as you just "listen" but once the radio is modified it is illegal to sell it.

Amateur transceivers do not need certification except for Part 15.

It may not be legal to sell commercially,which means dealers cannot open the radios up and then sell them, but it can be sold from one amateur operator to another amateur operator.

As for the part 15 part, you may be right and I don't mind admitting that part. I did some digging into part 97 but could not find anything conclusive. It seems that some things have been updated in past years. At one time amateur tcvr's did have to be certificated. AFAIK radios for VHF and UHF still do but HF may not have too.

Sorry, the rules provide that if you modify equipment, you become the responsible party for obtaining certification. The rules provide that no one can sell uncertified equipment if the rules require certification of equipment used for that service. Finally, the rules require that CB transmitters be certified and a CB transmitter is a transmitter that transmit on the CB. Doesn't mean that the FCC will do anything about it if an Amateur licensee sells to another licensee, but it is still a rules violation. In my experience, the FCC is only going after people that move a lot of equipment because it is more efficient than chasing the individuals transmitting on frequencies they are not supposed to. What the FCC is deluded into believing is they cannot lose, and when a court issues a decision declaring 10 meter radios legal, you will find 10 meter radios in every truck stop across America.

It may not be legal to sell commercially,which means dealers cannot open the radios up and then sell them, but it can be sold from one amateur operator to another amateur operator.

As for the part 15 part, you may be right and I don't mind admitting that part. I did some digging into part 97 but could not find anything conclusive. It seems that some things have been updated in past years. At one time amateur tcvr's did have to be certificated. AFAIK radios for VHF and UHF still do but HF may not have too.

Last edited:
Sorry, the rules provide that if you modify equipment, you become the responsible party for obtaining certification. The rules provide that no one can sell uncertified equipment if the rules require certification of equipment used for that service. Finally, the rules require that CB transmitters be certified and a CB transmitter is a transmitter that transmit on the CB. Doesn't mean that the FCC will do anything about it if an Amateur licensee sells to another licensee, but it is still a rules violation. In my experience, the FCC is only going after people that move a lot of equipment because it is more efficient than chasing the individuals transmitting on frequencies they are not supposed to. What the FCC is deluded into believing is they cannot lose, and when a court issues a decision declaring 10 meter radios legal, you will find qo meter radios in every truck stop across America.
BRAVO!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated