• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

QRZ gets a Wakeup Call

How can a HAM posses and operate a radio that a). Is not FCC type accepted, and b) not even supposed to be in this friggin' country?

Aren't HAMS the "big" FCC by the book guru's?
Hams can (and do) build their own equipment. As far as commercial radios, I have a shack full of non-FCC "type accepted" (current term is "certificated") equipment, and it's all legal because ham equipment, with few exceptions, does NOT require such certification.

I don't have any "export" radios. Never have and never will because I neither need nor want them. My ham rigs do just fine on the ham bands, and I'm not concerned about being able to use any frequency from DC to daylight "in an emergency".

with everything that is wrong in this world, i can't believe people are raising a fuss over some damn radios!! i mean, seriously. there a lots of things i could be doing besides talking to my buddy on an ILLEGAL radio. the fcc needs to revamp their rules and regs, anyway. we're following the same set of rules put in place in the 50's!! many things have changed since then.

The FT-101 was manufactured during the time when 11 meters -was- a ham band. So, it could cover that band legally 'right out of the box'. Doesn't apply to radios made after 11 meters was removed from the ham bands.
If you find an FT-101 that is still in the original box, never having been removed, never been turned on, you'd better hang on to that thing! It's worth a fortune :)...
- 'Doc

How can a HAM posses and operate a radio that a). Is not FCC type accepted, and b) not even supposed to be in this friggin' country?

Aren't HAMS the "big" FCC by the book guru's?

Here is how I know. On 3/16/2007 I got my answer right from the source because I had the same feeling you do.

That is exactly where I was at. I noticed there are a lot of forums I have never heard of discussing this same matter with the same differing opinions. So at the beginning of the week I called the FCC and asked flat out if these radios, that are illegal to market in the US, are ok for licensed amateur operators to use on the amateur bands ? Today on my way home I called home and my wife said I had a message from a Diane from the FCC. She had told me she would get back to me after directing the question to someone in charge of Amateur Licensing. I got home just now and she has stated that an Amateur is allowed to use the Amateur portion of an export radio. So that settles the question for good with me.
If anyone would like to verify the answer you can call Diane at 877-480-3201 option #2. The case# for my question is #776635 __________________
http://www.worldwidedx.com/showthread.php?t=26034&page=3

The FT-101 was manufactured during the time when 11 meters -was- a ham band. So, it could cover that band legally 'right out of the box'.
- 'Doc

Class D CB was created in 1958. Yes. taken from the ham band.
However the FT-101 didn't first appear until 1971.

On the other hand, the Viking Ranger and Valiant (among other EF Johnson products), the DX-35, DX-40 and DX-100 from Heathkit, and lots of other transmitters from the late 1950s had 11 meters built right in.

The FT-101 was manufactured during the time when 11 meters -was- a ham band. So, it could cover that band legally 'right out of the box'. Doesn't apply to radios made after 11 meters was removed from the ham bands.
If you find an FT-101 that is still in the original box, never having been removed, never been turned on, you'd better hang on to that thing! It's worth a fortune :)...
- 'Doc

The the ft-101 should have lost fcc type acceptance when they gave the d band away.

No one is above the law.

The the ft-101 should have lost fcc type acceptance when they gave the d band away.

No one is above the law.

what everyone is trying to explain is that there is NO " type acceptance" when it comes to HAMs............

if i want to i can modify my toaster to transmit on 10M and it is "legal" to both posess AND use on the amature bands....

i could even sell my toatser to a fellow ham for him to use......

however if i start manufacturing my "ham radio"/toasters by the thousands and have them marketed towards the 11M crowd by adding echo,roger beeps,a "whatever you do don't plug sourdough into toaster slot A since then this toaster would transmit out of band" type of disclaimers ,marketing in truckstops <not ripping on truckdrivers here...im a truckdriver myself> etc etc then the FCC may very well ban my "toasters"

HOWEVER as the FCC will tell you it is STILL legal for a HAM to use my "toaster" on the amaure bands for which he <or she> is licensed......EVEN tho it is ILLEGAL to sell my toasters in the US

make sense??

nobody really cares about people running power etc on 11M HOWEVER when non-amatures invade the 10M bands with the attitude <and i quote here ...i personally heard this guy say this> "I bought this radio I can talk here if I want to" the we have a problem......

if you don't have a license you DO NOT belong on the ham bands......

if 11M operators would have stayed in the 27Mhz and down into the upper portion of 26 i seriously doubt there would be a problem

but some bad apples spoiled it for the bunch.........

we worked for that license and those are our bands.....

by trying to "loophole" the law galaxy etc shot themselves in the foot by putting 10M in these radios.......

if when you modified it for 11M it "turned off " 10M in the radio i dont think we would be having this conversation

I have something i would like to say if you all would indulge me for a second.

It seems ridiculous to me that the FCC would get there panties in a bunch over something this meaningless while Joe Blows cb shop is selling these things left and right. Not to mention those 1000+++ watt splatter amps and those CB shops tune ( splatter tunes ) up's. Where is the FCC while eBay sells the hell out of this stuff? Where's the FCC when some ass on CH 6 is bleeding all over the place.....from 25.000 MHz to 28.000 MHz? Where has the FCC been! It seems to me that if they would have done there job years ago that this would not be such a huge problem now.

After all this time that i have spent on this forum i have come to understand that the ham ops where right all along about how their rights as licensed operators where being taken away by freebanders and by people causing so much interference because of extremely high powered and or poorly tuned radios. Though im sure they have sent in complaint upon complaint in to them ( FCC ) over the years they have not done a damn thing about it! Now they want to get all bent out of shape over something like this! It does not make a hell of a lot of since to me.

Wow, I just went back and glanced at that thread again on the other forum. There sure are a lot of misinformed people with very strong opinions. I guess THAT isn't anything new.

The funny thing about all the anxiety over there is that the people who make the "list" of what radios are illegal in the U.S. are a bunch of ham ops commissioned by the ARRL. We've even discussed this fact over the years on this forum. If hams want to get something changed, they can but they're not going to do it by whining about the FCC. They / We need to start with the organization that is supposed to be representing their best interest to the FCC.

what everyone is trying to explain is that there is NO " type acceptance" when it comes to HAMs............

if i want to i can modify my toaster to transmit on 10M and it is "legal" to both posess AND use on the amature bands....

i could even sell my toatser to a fellow ham for him to use......

however if i start manufacturing my "ham radio"/toasters by the thousands and have them marketed towards the 11M crowd by adding echo,roger beeps,a "whatever you do don't plug sourdough into toaster slot A since then this toaster would transmit out of band" type of disclaimers ,marketing in truckstops <not ripping on truckdrivers here...im a truckdriver myself> etc etc then the FCC may very well ban my "toasters"

HOWEVER as the FCC will tell you it is STILL legal for a HAM to use my "toaster" on the amaure bands for which he <or she> is licensed......EVEN tho it is ILLEGAL to sell my toasters in the US

make sense??

nobody really cares about people running power etc on 11M HOWEVER when non-amatures invade the 10M bands with the attitude <and i quote here ...i personally heard this guy say this> "I bought this radio I can talk here if I want to" the we have a problem......

if you don't have a license you DO NOT belong on the ham bands......

if 11M operators would have stayed in the 27Mhz and down into the upper portion of 26 i seriously doubt there would be a problem

but some bad apples spoiled it for the bunch.........

we worked for that license and those are our bands.....

by trying to "loophole" the law galaxy etc shot themselves in the foot by putting 10M in these radios.......

if when you modified it for 11M it "turned off " 10M in the radio i dont think we would be having this conversation

There's some of the problem right there. Those are not "your bands". They are licensed to HAMS to use. They do not belong to you. They belong to the FCC. They can yank them from you in a minute. If you HAMS have nothing better to do than gripe about lowly old cb'ers and their radios then you all need to get a life. I mean really folks. Just how hard is it to get a ticket? It's not rocket science. Those idiots that buy export radios and go into HAM bands where they aren't allowed to be are just that... Idiots. Because who wants to talk to a bunch of stuffy, nose thumbing people anyhow. There is way too much errogance in the HAM community. Your license makes you no better than a guy who has a CDL over your regular car only drivers license. Or does it?

I think maybe a better comparison would be someone who has a drivers license, and someone who doesn't. The ham bands 'belong' to hams just like a street 'belongs' to a driver licensed to use that street.
For every finger pointed in one direction there will be another pointed in the opposite direction. So what else is new? I've done the pointing, and I've been pointed at. Get's boring after a while, so why bother?
- 'Doc

Perhaps the characteristic that qualifies a radio as banned is the chrome knobs and the channel switch. If the General Lee had a VFO instead of a channel & band switch, then it would be legal.

Sending a note to QRZ admins about a banned radio being sold on their site costs the FCC nothing. Sending an agent into the field to investigate a CH6 splatter station costs money.

Family Guy on the FCC:
YouTube - Family Guy - The Freakin' FCC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.