• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

QSLing 11 Meter contacts

Anywho ... QSL'g was huge when I got into 11 meters in the 70's. I started out in '76. Popular too through the 80's and into the internet age. I was smack in the middle of the CB Explosion of the 70's in the suburbs of a large city. A Solar Max or near Max was present during the mid-late 70's and talking skip was huge. Most all serious base station ops would have a QSL Card printed up - and quite a few commercial printing operations sprung up specializing in CB QSL designs. Many would actually give out their real name and home address during the contact to get a card swap started. Others wishing to be more discreet as 11M DX is illegal, {the FCC was much more active back then} would get a local P.O. Box and have that address to give out over the air. Later, with the advent of the internet, peeps would give out an Email Address during the contact and the QSL Confirmation would precede that way. Station Art Images (QSL card art), could accompany a reply which the receiver could print out and add to a physical collection. s-l300.jpg

(y) This is the good 'ol Alpha Tango Group map. Big Time in the 1970's ~ thru today I guess. Witnessed by Italy being country #1. The founder of the group is/was in Italy. Fellow's name was/is Aldo. For a long time he operated and advertised Joining the Alpha Tango Group with membership and get issued a Number. Costs varied over the years but word is Aldo rolled in a good income over those years essentially selling a Number. - We had a rolling joke going when he got on there to advertise, we would call out mocking him "Dis is Aldo, senda us de money" ..... well .... much as today, you had to make yourself laugh. No shit! Heard him and did this myself. I go back to 1976 on 11 meters. Many other such groups persisted through the years where the sheeple were goofed into sending somebody some good beer money to buy a DX number. I figure most right-thinking Americans nowadays just say fuck you to the Aldo's of the world and just make up a number for free and start talking wtf (n) :LOL:
This is copied directly from the Alpha Tango site

To enter into the association is compulsory to send a list of minimum 30 DXCC countries or 50 AT members worked and confirmed by QSL.

I dont know if it's always been this way but it seems to be more than your average "just send me $ and we give you a #" group. I have worked many ATs over the years and they are always top notch professional operators. In my opinion they implement this type of screening to keep out the wannabes..

I will also add I am not a member nor am I associated with the alpha tango Dx group.

For 20 years I had been looking for the 131 division, that was the only one left for me in S.A., then finally in 2014 I finally caught one of our club members TX one day on .555 and I was able to make the contact......

That’s a long time, Larry! Being a sparsely populated and poor country...I bet it was even worse back that far.

I have not worked Guyana, but have it surrounded, lol. Was excited to work Suriname and French Guiana.

Chile was very difficult for me. Heard them a couple times before making contact, and then the second time it was much easier and he logged me at a 5/5. Something about getting over the Andes Mtns with my mobile can be tough. Haha.

Oh....and I noticed activity on the logs from 258 Div the other day, but I heard nothing :(

Last edited:
This is copied directly from the Alpha Tango site

To enter into the association is compulsory to send a list of minimum 30 DXCC countries or 50 AT members worked and confirmed by QSL.

For the Sugar Delta club it is 100 DXCC contacts. But, it helps if you know someone very well close to you, in which they can verify that you are good operator. Then you will not have to show proof, in my case I knew 9SD001 from B.C Canada (Al had a Ham ticket) and he was very well known across Europe...Al, may you R.I.P.

For the Sugar Delta club it is 100 DXCC contacts. But, it helps if you know someone very well close to you, in which they can verify that you are good operator. Then you will not have to show proof, in my case I knew 9SD001 from B.C Canada (Al had a Ham ticket) and he was very well known across Europe...Al, may you R.I.P.

My first Sugar Delta card....3SD100, Adriano. Excellent QSO also.

8E5E854A-367F-4A55-9869-DF90187C76E0.jpeg

Had a very hard time reaching Chile this fall, but eventually made contact with 32AT102, Manu, by calling CQ 32 div. I was lucky enough to have Manu follow my QSY.

Today I have received confirmation. A mere 4750 miles from my mobile station in N.C.

Thanks so much Manu! A memorable card, and more importantly, a memorable QSO!!

D98B3FE5-0C51-4306-8998-7EA6FF945216.jpeg B74D6393-CA54-40A5-A71B-43D428109292.jpeg

Can’t even begin to say how TICKLED I am with the mail today!!!

Four countries confirmed and all in one envelope! Contacts are from 21 Oct 19 - 1 Dec 19!

All from my Mobile!

Countries are: Mexico, French Guyana, Columbia, and Uruguay!

Thank you Romeo Charlie, Said (22RC101), Anibal (6RC666), Paul (10RC121), and Danilo (12RC116)!

All excellent operators!!!

75945360-60BC-45B6-A6E0-93911A965EA1.jpeg CB81560F-3940-44D7-BFB1-A59FC371F086.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome Dan ! (y) I work a lot of stations portable myself , or use to .:LOL: My base is @ 679' but I'm lucky enough to have a neighbor w/ a road going up to his fields which is about 100' higher than I am . My problem is my Cobra 140Gtl is converted for uppers/lowers but I lost the damn chart & don't have a freq counter ! So w/ me the chase is on ! :whistle::LOL:

Reactions: S&W357 and 2NC995

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated