• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question on 10 meter HAM purchase

Ironman1956

Sep 25, 2014
Pasco, Washington
I would like some opinions on my first 10 meter ham purchase. I will be using a dipole or my 5\8 wave Sirio 27 GPE groundplane. I have both and do ssb skip on cb at this time. At present I am working on my first HAM license , a Technician. I know there is quite a bit of good used equipment but would rather go new and would like some pointers on what frequencies are good for making hookups for a beginner. I have a Pyramid 12 amp power supply also to run a mobile type unit in my home as a base. How about some suggestions. I have up to 500 or 600 dollars to spend.

I would like some opinions on my first 10 meter ham purchase. I will be using a dipole or my 5\8 wave Sirio 27 GPE groundplane. I have both and do ssb skip on cb at this time. At present I am working on my first HAM license , a Technician. I know there is quite a bit of good used equipment but would rather go new and would like some pointers on what frequencies are good for making hookups for a beginner. I have a Pyramid 12 amp power supply also to run a mobile type unit in my home as a base. How about some suggestions. I have up to 500 or 600 dollars to spend.
Any suggestions on entry level HF radios.

As a Tech class you're limited to 28.300-28.500 for Phone on 10 meters JM2C here but if you're wanting to get into Hf Take the test for General from the git go and get either a good used hf rig or a New Alinco DX-SR8T/E for about the same investment. If you pass the Tech take the General while you are there.
a good starter raido for just 10 meters that won't break the bank is the Yeti com Optima or an Anytone5555N both will set ya back two Fraklin's and a Grant put a KL 203 behind either and you can work the world.

Last edited:
As a Tech class you're limited to 28.300-28.500 for Phone on 10 meters JM2C here but if you're wanting to get into Hf Take the test for General from the git go and get either a good used hf rig or a New Alinco DX-SR8T/E for about the same investment. If you pass the Tech take the General while you are there.
a good starter raido for just 10 meters that won't break the bank is the Yeti com Optima or an Anytone5555N both will set ya back two Fraklin's and a Grant put a KL 203 behind either and you can work the world.
I guess I am confused on what I can talk on on the 10 meter bands. The book shows from 28.000 to 283000 for RTTY and data. Does that mean I can use FM or SSB or that frequency range. I am not sure what RTTY even is since I am new to HAM. I have a background in electronics to some extent since I was a radiation technician for 24 years. Any help to clear up what I may use as far as ssb , fm etc. would be helpful. Thankyou for your input and will look up the radios you listed. Curtis

I guess I am confused on what I can talk on on the 10 meter bands. The book shows from 28.000 to 283000 for RTTY and data. Does that mean I can use FM or SSB or that frequency range. I am not sure what RTTY even is since I am new to HAM. I have a background in electronics to some extent since I was a radiation technician for 24 years. Any help to clear up what I may use as far as ssb , fm etc. would be helpful. Thankyou for your input and will look up the radios you listed. Curtis
Okay what I found is that I am not allowed to talk FM or HF but can talk ssb on 28,300 to 28,500 and am limited to 200 watts. I hope I have that right.

I'd go used HF or entry level Alinco new. Lots to choose from, but as mentioned before, the IC-718 can be had for around 500 bucks used, and is a great little rig.

Brett

Reactions: binrat
You got it.... well ...almost.... 10 meters is HF
Yes 10 meters is HF. With the technician license you can run SSB from 28.300 to 28.500.

There is a lot of good DX in that frquency range. In the last 4 years I've worked almost 100 countries on 10 meters running a 100 watt Yaesu and either a ground mounted vertical or a wire antenna at 25 feet.

Once you pass the technician exam take the momentum and get busy and take the general exam.

Skip the roger beeping glorified CB's and look for a nice clean HF rig.
Rigs to look at are the Icom IC-718 or the Yaesu Ft-450. I've seen FT-450 with Antenna tuner selling at hamfest in your price range for $500 to 600. The 718 for around the same. On the Kenwood side look for a TS480.

For the power supply get at a minimum a 20 amp power supply. Astron makes some great supplies that will last years. I've seen the Astron 35 amp supply at hamfests for $100 to 130.

Reactions: Oatmeal
Study for both Tech and General and take both test the same day for just one fee. Once you have the technician material learned you can study just a little more time and have the general down too.

Reactions: wavrider and binrat
I would always agree GENERAL is the way to go...
However you'll learn as you study the Tech class license info you have more than 10m SSB available....SSB is also granted on 6m/2m/440cm bands
6m when open, is a great band and 2m SSB can be fun also, however they both require separate antennas. The Horizontal Yagi style antennas work the best at heights 30ft and higher, but keep in mind they are smaller than 11m antennas and can be turned with relatively small rotors even on push up poles...
I also agree HF radio only way to go! Save pennies now and you won't have a rig to "DUMP" later that is only good for one maybe 2 bands. Most Hams you'll find won't be interested in purchasing when your ready to Upgrade.
Yaesu FT-450D/ ICOM706 /Yaesu 857 or 897 and there are others which make good choices for excellent starter rigs at close to your budget pricing...
Remember first ANTENNAS, antennas, antennas!
Keep reading we are here to HELP!
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

I would always agree GENERAL is the way to go...
However you'll learn as you study the Tech class license info you have more than 10m SSB available....SSB is also granted on 6m/2m/440cm bands
6m when open, is a great band and 2m SSB can be fun also, however they both require separate antennas. The Horizontal Yagi style antennas work the best at heights 30ft and higher, but keep in mind they are smaller than 11m antennas and can be turned with relatively small rotors even on push up poles...
I also agree HF radio only way to go! Save pennies now and you won't have a rig to "DUMP" later that is only good for one maybe 2 bands. Most Hams you'll find won't be interested in purchasing when your ready to Upgrade.
Yaesu FT-450D/ ICOM706 /Yaesu 857 or 897 and there are others which make good choices for excellent starter rigs at close to your budget pricing...
Remember first ANTENNAS, antennas, antennas!
Keep reading we are here to HELP!
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB
Thankyou guys for the input, you have been helpful.

Yes 10 meters is HF. With the technician license you can run SSB from 28.300 to 28.500.

There is a lot of good DX in that frquency range. In the last 4 years I've worked almost 100 countries on 10 meters running a 100 watt Yaesu and either a ground mounted vertical or a wire antenna at 25 feet.

Once you pass the technician exam take the momentum and get busy and take the general exam.

Skip the roger beeping glorified CB's and look for a nice clean HF rig.
Rigs to look at are the Icom IC-718 or the Yaesu Ft-450. I've seen FT-450 with Antenna tuner selling at hamfest in your price range for $500 to 600. The 718 for around the same. On the Kenwood side look for a TS480.

For the power supply get at a minimum a 20 amp power supply. Astron makes some great supplies that will last years. I've seen the Astron 35 amp supply at hamfests for $100 to 130.
They are selling a lot of sets that are just AM and FM which are useless as you will need side-band

10 meters propagation is on a steep decline this time next year you will be lucky if you can work across town . You would be better off with a hf set and psu and the general licence.Looking at your posts, you have some reading to do! Good luck .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.