• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radar Detectors

I’ll use this as example (not the one posting it):

Advance warning? Except those situations at Interstate speeds where another is less than 300’ behind you, right? Can’t.

You wouldn’t spot a cop and think it okay to jump into the 600’ space ahead of me, either, right?

And, I’ll bet that passing the trucks before a construction zone is okay also?

Space is the fundamental.

All other vehicles. Not ONLY the guy ahead of me. Who’s probably too close to the next guy. Have to factor for ALL vehicles.

A detector is an excuse to continue being 16. Screw others.

Only way to make the case is to show the numbers. Average MPH has barely a thing to do with desired speed.

Boy.... You sound like someone who has a chip on there shoulder for anyone who uses a radar detector... Regardless of your mumbo jumbo numbers... They do work, some better than others

I think there was only one kind of Radar the last time I owned one. I know it saved my butt many times. I know laser is immediate. I'm wondering if I can detect a car ahead of me if their hit by laser? Stay behind someone else that's zipping along. When they get tagged, maybe I'll get an alert before they zap me.

I think the GPS feature the detector has will be useful. It will alert when you exceed posted speeds, display redlight cameras and known speed traps. It even monitors vehicle voltage, which will come in handy to monitor battery while parked. The unit is pricey.

V1Gen2BeautySized_2.jpg
Valentine 1 Gen 2. Dont own one and never have.. lot of coin but suppose to be one of the best

Reactions: 357magnum
Boy.... You sound like someone who has a chip on there shoulder for anyone who uses a radar detector... Regardless of your mumbo jumbo numbers... They do work, some better than others

No, I have a chip on my shoulder about selfishness.

Driving faster entails skill.

First requirement is to not fuck up the road for others. Prove it

Selfishness denies those situations exist.

Lack of skill creates those errors which COMPOUND problems for everyone else.

1). What’s the average speed on a given trip?

2). What was the increase in the average afforded by a device?

3). Zero errors in vehicle-space requirements.

What you castigate as mumbo-jumbo is statistically-valid. The road has rules, speed is always adjunct.

Try taking it out of feelz (where you’re stuck).

You crank up your amp without care, splatter-bander? Same thing, only serious injury and/or death now apply.

The device doesn’t cure the problem.

What is the problem?
(isn't examined).

Last edited:
the one I'm looking at alerts to red light cameras. I can see that being useful.

That’s serious jail time to screw up at an intersection. Nearly ALL urban fatalities happen at such.

Some states/regions/municipalities are good at timing lights. There’s a flow. It’s not hard to figure out. When they’ve done it right you’ll never hit the posted limit.

The test in your home region for a drive made regular on a regular basis is to first plan best route (direct line often isn’t it), and then find the pace needed. The successful test is never stopping or idling.

If it’s a work commute, an earlier start time (20’) can entirely change the aggravation.

Work backwards.

My wife uses waze. I just drive slow. I don’t think I’ve been over 50 mph in the year 2020.

She does do a good job alerting me to traffic issues with her waze app however.

(Again, used as example)

Waze is for the kiddies. I tried it awhile and all it does is put you in the same place as them.

There are occasions I’ll download it again and run it to know what the stupids will be doing.

The mental map (overview) is king.

One doesn't need point-to-point to in order to navigate where an understanding of terrain & population density exist.

The specifics are then just details.

The worst advice someone can give another is to: go with the flow.

Be a rolling traffic barrier (if that’s what one thinks being separate entails). Separation isn’t just accident-avoidance, it’s having choices.

Higher Average MPH
is never about throttle position, first.

“Going with the flow”, eliminates choices.

Below the flow in built-up areas makes for consistency. Habit.

It’s habit that makes for long-term success. Habit, covers those days when inattention, illness, being emotionally-distraught, etc are in play.

Listen to why someone got a ticket or had an accident.

A device is a crutch for those bad habits. That’s best outcome.

Test it.

— Average MPH for a given trip without separation distance violations making the test VOID.

I think there was only one kind of Radar the last time I owned one. I know it saved my butt many times. I know laser is immediate. I'm wondering if I can detect a car ahead of me if their hit by laser? Stay behind someone else that's zipping along. When they get tagged, maybe I'll get an alert before they zap me.

I think the GPS feature the detector has will be useful. It will alert when you exceed posted speeds, display redlight cameras and known speed traps. It even monitors vehicle voltage, which will come in handy to monitor battery while parked. The unit is pricey.

You’ve made a start in examination. Only, it’s not traffic control systems that are the problem.

1). It’s the road types (urban, suburban, rural);

2). The traffic density (time of day)

3). Weather, construction, etc.

The trucker saying (having to do with gear choice; why it took 3-5 years to be any good) is,

Road
Load
Traffic
Weather

As every possible permutation or combination applies. (Underline and repeat).

Urban traffic AVERAGE mph is 15.
Suburban Highway AVERAGE is 35.

The road choice matters most.

Even if it’s a few miles farther than straight thru town. Etc.

Once on a highway the exact speed traveled doesn’t change the average (in any significant fashion).

Just irrelevant feelz.

Reactions: barefootindian

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.