• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Interface

116sd019

Feb 19, 2008
My radio and my computer same room and 2 meter distance but my radio block my computer. When i calling on 20m. my computer Stupid beeppp and my keyboard is lock no work my keyboard iand listen stupid beeep on motherboard bios :headbang

My radio has gruoundeed swr good.

My radio and my computer same room and 2 meter distance but my radio block my computer. When i calling on 20m. my computer Stupid beeppp and my keyboard is lock no work my keyboard iand listen stupid beeep on motherboard bios :headbang

My radio has gruoundeed swr good.

Please....no insult intended here, but I'm going on the assumption that Emglish is not your first language, and you may be from outside of the U.S.....?

To solve your problem you should get yourself an RFI protected keyboard for your computer. MFJ Enterprises Inc. offers them for $40.00(US)
Look them up on the internet, I believe they ship world wide....

116sd019,
I wish it were as simple as a new keyboard or just grounding. In some cases, it is that simple. In other cases, it isn't that simple at all!
The 'trick' is finding out how/where the interfering signal is getting into the computer. Once you have some idea of where that 'place' or 'places' are, then you can do something about preventing the interference from entering. THAT is such 'fun'! Meaning it get's complicated/difficult almost immediately.
Perhaps the 'simplest' method is to try to eliminate interference from getting into the computer in any manner. Which is a larger task than commonly thought. Very basically, it means grounding the computer's CASE, not the motherboard! Then, 'choke' all connections to/from the computer. A 'choke' meaning an RF 'choke', typically a ferrous device that the cables are wrapped on or threaded through. There are several sources for those things, no idea which may be most convenient for you. A knowledgeable 'computer person' should be able to tell you where/what you might need. Not a very helpful answer, is it? Sorry.
- 'Doc

(The absolute best interference prevention scheme is separation distance. Something like 100 yards (or meters) will do that prevention! That's an even more worthless answer, isn't it?)

By the way, radios interfere with my computer too. Moving the antenna further away did help solve that, but it sure didn't 'cure' it. Oh well...

You can find an RF attenuating power strip at most electronics stores. A lot of times the RFI comes in through the power lines, so that might be of some help.

I have 2 desktop units and 3 or so laptops and no problem with any of them.

There are some devices that are so poorly made that there is little that can be done. I wouldn't be as pessimistic as W5LZ is at this point.

Following proper grounding, bonding, and filtering techniques ie, single point ground system, and ferrite chokes of cables can go a very long way in removing RFI.

IF you have a lot of devices plugged into the computer, unplug them and see what happens, if the problem goes away, start adding them back one at a time, it could be as simple as a bad device.

Good luck it will just take a little research and a systematic approach to solve you RFI, If that doesn't work just smash it and get a new one:headbang

(for the record I have both Windows, and Macs in my shack).

When he said the computer is grounded.....what crossed my mind?

Grounded to the RF/shack ground?

It shouldn't be.

Basically RF carriers and producers should be grounded to the station single point/RF ground. Rigs, antenna switches, amps etc.

Audio gear, computers, all the other 'junk' we all have, should not be tied into that system. You are asking for trouble with RF and ground loops in general that way.

I run a kW all the time on various bands with audio and computer gear all around on my desk without any trouble, but I've got a halfway decent start at station grounding.

Single point grounding means just that there is only one ground. If everything is done properly there won't be ground loops to cause problems.

Single point grounding means just that there is only one ground. If everything is done properly there won't be ground loops to cause problems.

Yeah so when you have a pile of gear running off the AC, you now have a second ground point. If you tie those chassis into your station ground, you will have a problem.....unless of course your station ground is tied into the house service with a low enough impedance path, but I would think it is a fraction of 1% of hams that have that properly implemented.

My station, the station ground is not tied to my service ground. So with this implementation, all the RF carrying pieces get tied to the station ground and the rest is floating with relation to that ground, but in turn tied to the service ground. I have only had issues if I cross the two of them up.

Yeah so when you have a pile of gear running off the AC, you now have a second ground point. If you tie those chassis into your station ground, you will have a problem.....unless of course your station ground is tied into the house service with a low enough impedance path, but I would think it is a fraction of 1% of hams that have that properly implemented.

My station, the station ground is not tied to my service ground. So with this implementation, all the RF carrying pieces get tied to the station ground and the rest is floating with relation to that ground, but in turn tied to the service ground. I have only had issues if I cross the two of them up.

Well to be a single point ground it means that it is tied into the main ground for your electrical system, which includes your phone system, cable, gas, and any other ground. Anything less isn't a single point ground.

I have a perimeter ground system (2" copper ribbon around the whole property), tied into three ground rods, this system is tied into the electrical service ground. The antennas go to a copper bus bar outside the house (isolated) with stud mounted alpha delta lightning arrestors, cables go into the house (basement shack), The bus bar is tied to the ground rods with 2" copper ribbon. I have a copper panel on the wall in the shack, which is grounded to the bus bar. All filters, distribution, computers and other equipment is ground to that panel.

Yes it requires some work and planning (there is lots of info from commercial manufactures on the proper installation of grounding systems). I does cost a few bucks, but it can be done in chunks, and it is still cheaper than replacing all the equipment, house, or God forbid someone's life.

When I do put in my tower someday it to will be tied to the ground system.

To date since putting in a proper ground system no RFI, prior to that when I keyed up with 100 W on 20m my carbon monoxide detectors use to go off.

I agree many don't do it properly, but that certainly doesn't make the poor practices right.

The whole thing took me about 2 weekends to install, with the help of one friend, after you get the materials and have done the planning it really isn't that difficult.

so in other words
have a grounding bar across the back of the table or bench and ground everything to it
and at the other end of the grounding bar have one ground rod

There's a lot of confusion about grounding and how it should be done. The National Electrical Code (NEC) is a very good place to start finding out how to do that grounding. It deals with all types of safety grounding, for radios too. One benefit is that the NEC satisfies or exceeds most local codes, and really does go a long way with solving the legal aspects of RFI complaints.
No idea where to find a copy of the NEC, libraries used to have them, and there should be one floating around the internet. It's more comprehensive than you might think so reading it can get sort of tedious. Good idea though.
- 'Doc

so in other words
have a grounding bar across the back of the table or bench and ground everything to it
and at the other end of the grounding bar have one ground rod

NO :headbang

Ok he just made SR385's point about only 1% doing it correctly.

There are lots of sources for proper grounding techniques, Building Codes, ARRL, Manufactures of grounding equipment, ect.

Yeah but that is a functional start though and is better than most hams have in place.

I've got 2ga from an 8' ground rod about 5' to a bus bar and it makes a huge difference vs not having that common path for RF.

No, it's nowhere near 'finished' but it's a start at least.

Anyone following this understand, this by NO means is full and proper and has nothing to do with surge/lightning protection. I've only done this for RF. For lightning, I disconnect everything, antennas and inside power connections as my configuration has nothing to do with that.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.