• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

radio interference opinion

Learn to live with it I'd say. Static is just a part of AM radio. It ain't going anywhere. There is a certain allure to it if you listen just right.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Learn to live with it I'd say. Static is just a part of AM radio. It ain't going anywhere. There is a certain allure to it if you listen just right.

Nonsense. There is no reason to have to put up with static from a faulty power distribution system. Perhaps you enjoy the "allure" of listening to static but most people do not.

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe one of your neighbors is now growing "medical" marijuana in their garage. ;)

LOL I was thinking that for this is non stop 24/7

I don't think you understand the severity of how much static noise I am getting.. I can barely hear my friend 4 miles down the road and he had his amp on....

I must be lucky cause I have less than 1/2 s unit of static. That is in Kansas and Arizona on AM in the mobile.

when I am in my mobile I get the same as long as I am not on my street

I don't know your location , are you near farm animal ? My electric fence charger for the horses raises havoc with mine when its arcing out on something but that is usually off an on not constant .

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

I don't know your location , are you near farm animal ? My electric fence charger for the horses raises havoc with mine when its arcing out on something but that is usually off an on not constant .

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

in the city no electric fence..

I had a similar issue, but mine was a pulsing static. It would go up to 7 S units, off and on, off and on. Drove me nuts for about a month, and I never could figure out where it was coming from. Then one day I saw the Electric company guys working about a block away on some power lines. That day, poof, the noise was gone.

Hopefully you can figure out where yours is coming from and get them to fix it. That's some pretty nasty noise you posted.

Brett

I FOUND IT!!! I Think....

I GOT IT!!!! (y) I hope :rolleyes:

Used my radio buddy handheld CB and found it in 2 minutes :D all the power lines look like this on my street and they all need to be fixed there all rotten

witch brings to an all together different subject how dare the city of buffalo walk down my street and site the people for down spout and rotting gutters when our city power poles look like this! the wood on them is so rotten it is dangerous!!! o I am going to have some fun Monday :sneaky2:

just look at the 120/240 volt lines and how ratty they look!

Yep, that insulator is just hanging there. Just hanging and micro arcing. It's screaming for some WD40.

Those are some decrepit poles and hardware. They might fix the source of your noise, then something else on the line will get loosened and begin arcing.

Reactions: 2 people
Wideband noise like that is generally powerline related. All the grounding and filters in the world will not solve the issue when the noise is coming in directly from the antenna. The source of the noise needs to be cured. Take a small AM radio, an HT that covers air band freqs in AM mode is great, and travel around the neighborhood looking for where the noise is the loudest and then call the power company.

I had that problem 10 years ago and called Progress Energy.....they told me the only problems they will address are safety issues and brownouts/outages. 2 years after my call the transformer did burn out and it was replaced. Of course long before that happened I moved my tower over 150 ft and that dropped the noise level to 1 s-unit instead of 9. Now it is dead quiet.
I never heard of power companies spending $10,000+ to cure 1 individuals interference problem and I see their point.

Last edited:
I never heard of power companies spending $10,000+ to cure 1 individuals interference problem and I see their point.

They are required to do so by FCC regulations, the problem is that you have to make a big big stink in everyone's ear to get them to do something.
An example is the cheap imported grow light ballasts that have flooded the market and are causing tons of interference.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/arrl-updates/166649-arrl-fcc-grow-light-ballast-causes-hf-interference-violates-rules.html

Another example is when hedge-fund mogul Philip Falcone's wireless venture, LightSquared Inc., filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy after the FCC determined it would interfere with GPS signals.
FCC Agents Trace Radio Interference to Doorbells, Videogames, Blankets - WSJ.com

The real problem is getting them to listen to one CB radio operator.
Now If you got lots of $$$$$ you can get there attention real fast.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.