• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

radio interference opinion

Nothing like a good lawyer to settle the situation. It's sucks that it takes so much to get some things addressed, we must have it okay, call FPL and they are there the next day checking things in most cases. Maybe just luck of the draw.

AEP spent a fortune and had massive man hours invested fixing my issues. Just recently, they installed all new poles, hardware and cable throughput our community. Hasn't been this quiet in YEARS.

The RFI Investigator is ham. I did encounter a local line supervisor that resisted efforts to help me. The RFI guy just went up the chain to a vice president @ the corporate office that ordered him to comply, helps that the VP is a ham also.

Last edited:
I had that problem 10 years ago and called Progress Energy.....they told me the only problems they will address are safety issues and brownouts/outages. 2 years after my call the transformer did burn out and it was replaced. Of course long before that happened I moved my tower over 150 ft and that dropped the noise level to 1 s-unit instead of 9. Now it is dead quiet.
I never heard of power companies spending $10,000+ to cure 1 individuals interference problem and I see their point.

You should have been more persistent.

Also, it's in the utilities best interests to investigate RFI issues. Equipment that is arcing will eventually break down. Cheaper to fix it early, instead of dealing with an preventable outage later on.

I had that problem 10 years ago and called Progress Energy.....they told me the only problems they will address are safety issues and brownouts/outages. 2 years after my call the transformer did burn out and it was replaced. Of course long before that happened I moved my tower over 150 ft and that dropped the noise level to 1 s-unit instead of 9. Now it is dead quiet.
I never heard of power companies spending $10,000+ to cure 1 individuals interference problem and I see their point.

They like to make you think they do not have to do anything about based on cost per customer ratio. BS. They are required by law to fix the problem. Just because one person stands up and says they have a problem does not mean only one person has a problem.

Yep, that insulator is just hanging there. Just hanging and micro arcing. It's screaming for some WD40....

WD40? ,............ the last time I used it on anything electrical was when I was adjusting the point gap on a distributer,... yeah, it was a long time ago,....

sprayed the inside of the rotor cap and put it back on the housing,... hit the ignition switch, and blew the cap off:cry:

Reactions: 1 person
It's an easy way to diagnose a leaky insulator or corroded hardware. The utility (if they are any good) will use WD40 that's remotely triggered on a hotstick.

Easy enough to make your own with a jack pole.

Fast an easy way to quickly rule out multiple sources within a small area.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
ok so they fixed the pole but the sound is still there it seemed to move to the next pole :cry:

this sucks! if this don't stop I guess I am done with HF, ill have an rci-2990 and some cb radios for sale...

well yeah I am going to do that but if this keeps up for a year and they won't do anything what am I going to do?

i had a local here that has same issues they wouldnt do anything cause
theres only 5-6 houses on his road [lives way outta town]. so he could
hear locally about 10 miles out on ssb. so what he did was tried a dipole
on the flat side most if not all noise disappeared.sirio and maco both make
a rotable dipole . both are around 100.00 dollars so not too bad on the wallet
either. a flatside dipole will be nice for dx and if locals are close enough you
should be able to get them will probaly have a lower signal but no biggie. you
have to turn the dipole to get them depending what direction you put it up

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.