• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radioactive Wack Pack Unveiled

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not mean to offend you in any way. i just wanted to share my experience so maybe you would do some research on your own. If you like your radio than that is all that matters. (y) & 73's

Try telling that to your neighbors and fellow operators. :eek:

just as an example, i have a uniden pc68xl that i modded myself, EVERYONE told me how LOUD the radio is....... including my neighbors, bank drive though, fast food drive thoughs, cars next to me people on every channel.

the point is even i can make a loud punchy radio..... that radio is now sitting in a drawwer not being used.

watts don't mean crap in it is not on freq.

Reactions: 3 people
Pull your covers and look at what they did. Put someone on your rig and listen to it on another, you will hear the splatter.

I have done that but we where to close together about 3-500 feet apart it was tooooo loud so after a few adjustments it sound awesome... And like I've said before base stations really talk it up... Also I guess I lost the pics I took can't find them...I do have a 44 that needs some work done to it and he said that it just ain't worth it...it doesnt hear worth a damn...maybe DTB could weight in on it... And if any other builders have a 3300hp could work something out to where I could compare to see if there really is a difference I've yet to find someone to do that I did have a cb shop do a key down with me and it was pretty much equal 3-4 said they could here me 3-4 said they heard him....

I don't know you maybe right but like I said I've never ever heard one bad thing about the radio from anyone and I am sure running a modded radio on a amp is well against FCC rules right

Yep; running a modded radio and amp is illegal. Doesn't mean that the smarter guys won't still do it. They just do it differently and still use an amp by taking an entirely different approach. So long as one knows what they are doing, one can do it better than just a SWP radio can. A SWP radio are just a shortcut for those who don't know better.

First, the smarter, more experienced guys will make CERTAIN that their modulation NEVER goes past 100%. This keeps the radio from throwing out spurious signals on other frequencies and focuses the radio power output on one frequency. While focusing power and not wasting it on harmonics.

Then, they will keep the 54mhz trap in place and not disable it. This will ensure that there are little to no 2nd harmonics being emitted and also keeps the radio output focused on just one frequency too. They also know that doing these two steps will allow the radio's output transistor to run cooler because it isn't being over-driven with nasty harmonics either.

They will turn down the dead key watts out of the radio between 1 to 1/2 watt. This keeps the linear from over saturating its transistors. Usually, there is only a slight loss of linear output; but it sounds much cleaner, amp runs cooler, and the operator can be more easily understood when transmitting. There is also far less stress on all of the equipment and it lasts longer.

The smarter guys will also ground their power supply, radio, and linear to the house electrical ground with braided grounding wire. This will help overall. The really smart guys will add a low pass filter after the amp. This may/may not keep the neighbors happy; but it sure can't hurt either. This will remove most of any remaining harmonics that your radio/amp will be transmitting.

The smarter guys will use an AB class amp rather than a C class amp. This is a VERY important point! A Texas Star amp that is driven with a little less wattage than it calls for will help keep the amp from making its own harmonics. Running a FatBoy or DaveMade C class amp with too many input watts will always throw out nasty harmonics and never sound as cool as the Texas Star amp. The FatBoy or DaveMade may show more watts out; but the smarter guys already know these extra watts are the very same garbage watts they are desperately trying to avoid!

Of course, the experienced and smart guys already know this stuff and have a much smaller chance at getting caught - because they know where the troubles are and avoid them at all cost. Harmonics are a red flag and they will only lead to trouble with your neighbors, the police, or even the FCC. Of course, a really smart guy won't use a 1,000 watt amp in a residential area. In a car; yes. At home; no. They use no more than 200 watts and no less than 100 watts at home. They know that it is really the antenna that is really the most important gear they use, and buy/use the best one that money can buy.

They may also run their power supply voltage to the amp at 12.5-13.0 volts - so there will be less voltage drop from the power supply when the amp is keyed. 12.5 volts also runs the amp with little to no harmonic output - so long as it isn't over driven from the radio - at all.

Just some food for thought . . . Ask yourself if you are sharp enough to get these points . . . If you did; then you are already getting a leg up on the 'other guys' . . . Getting rid of all harmonics throughout the entire chain is the 'key' to success . . .

Last edited:
i fell for it

long time ago. is was so over modulated no one could understand me. great deal 150bucks
to rip out the limiter and volt the finals. it was a rci 2980 wx i sold it after a week for 150.
mike is a piece of work. and bozo is so far up his ass crack.

Reactions: 1 person
Lol he said pretty much everything that your saying when I ordered it he was really against radios that are maxed out he wouldn't never say how much it would do he was all about rms and the dead key is set really low around.5-1 to low to run the Dave made and yes this is a moble unit so I am using the 44 to run the amp from Georgia I've made as far as kansas up to il mi wi down to flak and tx but I can only run the grey on low cause it shuts my truck down not sure why... I have 28ft of grounds run on the truck but it doesnt make a difference... On the other hand I've done a lot of research on michael t whatever the rest of his name is he goes by Timothy when not in the cb world yes very shady but up till this point I've had no issues with him so I am not really sweating it I used to be a deputy before going into the trucking world so if and when I have an issue with him the problem with be solved fairly quickly ;)

Radioactiveradios= pure shitbox. avoid them like the plague. There was a guy here that bought a radio from them and not too long after he got it it quit..

Okay well it seems everyone in here clearly doesn't like rar!!! Lol so with that said who builds the biggest badest mobile that hooks to factory wiring that'll out talk all the rest and that will blow that smoke through the radio down the road and that'll pick up (hear) better than a radio with a pre amp.... This should be pretty interesting ^^ ab v c^^ *Don`t do it*

Okay well it seems everyone in here clearly doesn't like rar!!! Lol so with that said who builds the biggest badest mobile that hooks to factory wiring that'll out talk all the rest and that will blow that smoke through the radio down the road and that'll pick up (hear) better than a radio with a pre amp.... This should be pretty interesting ^^ ab v c^^ *Don`t do it*

you reall should start a new thread on that subject so it will not be tainted by this one.

you reall should start a new thread on that subject so it will not be tainted by this one.

Lol wouldn't it be better tainted and honestly I couldn't tell you how to start one I just started this acct to talk about what I had gotten from him.... And really this would really be the best spot cause any one in the market for a new rig would have all the info right here

Not just here but all over the interwebs.
Keep in mind that every station is different with its own challenges. I like the motto clean it clean out. A well tuned clean radio that is not over modulated hitting a nice amp going through good coax like lmr 240uf, and finally getting out a nice antenna equals what you are looking for.

don't think there is one simple answer. Like i said before spend some time researching the web. Spend some time educating yourself on what makes a great radio station and how to overcome certain obstacles.

A lot of good people on this forum that really know what they are doing, mostly from trial and error.

As far as who builds the best well thats a loaded question but we all know who does not...:love:

Reactions: 2 people
Not just here but all over the interwebs.
Keep in mind that every station is different with its own challenges. I like the motto clean it clean out. A well tuned clean radio that is not over modulated hitting a nice amp going through good coax like lmr 240uf, and finally getting out a nice antenna equals what you are looking for.

don't think there is one simple answer. Like i said before spend some time researching the web. Spend some time educating yourself on what makes a great radio station and how to overcome certain obstacles.

A lot of good people on this forum that really know what they are doing, mostly from trial and error.

As far as who builds the best well thats a loaded question but we all know who does not...:love:

Well I am running lmr 400 flex all away around and a pred 10k

Since You are so eager to start another never ending Post, I'll help you get started: You asked what is The Baddest Radio Out there ??? You couldn't afford It !!!

Icom/Kenwood/Yeasu. Enough Said !!!

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.