• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger Ar3300

Steve isler

Jun 12, 2021
Newbie to the group. I have an old ranger Ar3300, with the optional 100 watt kicker basically makes it. Ranger ar3500. I used it for about 4 years back when I bought it and has been stored away for over 40 years still works. But was wondering what would be a modern equivalent radio to the ranger

So, uh... While you were away, a phenomenon called "ROHS" came about. It's an acromym for Reduction Of Hazardous Substances.

It's a set of european-union rules that prohibit a list of toxic materials. Can't sell a product in the EU if it contains:

Hexavalent chrome. Nasty stuff.

Cadmium. Toxic heavy metal.

Polydimethyl bromide ether. PDBE flame retardant and cancer risk.

Beryllium, or beryllia ceramics. Your favorite RF linear transistors had a layer of this to insulate the circuit inside, and carry heat to the heat sink efficiently. But not any more. Alumina and nitride ceramics are used now. Almost as good.

And lead. As in, lead solder. Bear in mind that EVERY electronic component would have lead inside it, or on the lead-wire surfaces. Makes it easier to solder.

Upshot was that EVERY SINGLE electronic component on the planet got discontinued.

No way the component factories would run two production lines, one regular and the other lead-free.

Anything that would not sell enough units to justify the expense of redesign as a "lead-free" part got ditched. Just don't make them any more. The familiar final transistors used in every CB and "10-meter" bandit radio didn't make the cut. Some genuine substitutes exist, and many, many more counterfeits. Telling them apart has proven to be a challenge.

This has produced no lack of chaos in electronic manufacturing. And the quality of lead-free solders has been a disappointing step down. Soldering faults in some new equipment have become a rule, not an exception. And some manufacturers have got it dialed in. But not all of them by a long shot.

Upshot is that new radios are built with shitty solder, and fake substitutes for real parts.

Welcome back. And don't let anyone talk you out of the older radios. You'll regret it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.