• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger made radios RT1 invasion

Eldorado828

8-2-8 in the Lonestar state
Feb 21, 2016
The Lonestar State
I know if it isn't ssb these don't appeal to several here on the forum but I found this new radio interesting in the sense that ranger is going full swing with the so called RT1 transistors. I guess they're just replacing all the built in amplifiers from the irf-520 to RT1 as seen in this new connex offering

Reactions: G-Golly Wally

They've subbed them in place of the 520 in the superstar ss-36hp3 but only produce about 10 more watts pep. It seems they do better configured as in the rci-39/69 vhp as the output is quite higher with those. They're a relabeled mystery part, seems they're using the same technique as palomar. I ordered a dozen from a supplier just to experiment with them.

When they first arrived on the scene they were simply sanded down and weren't labeled, the more recent are labeled as RT1 but nobody has said what they really are. Pinout is the same as 520's but no spec sheet

THE RT1 transistors made it in today. They look just like the first ones that showed up in the early radios.... No markings. Below are some pictures just for visual comparison. First picture is the RT1's and below it's a lineup with others.

Order from left to right if you can't see the markings

Vishay-irf520, Ranger-RT1, IR-irf520N,Palomar-erf2030+
Any guesses?

20201022_175455.jpg 20201022_175355.jpg

There are several equivalents they don't tell you, you have to dig for them in Datasheets.

IF you know a Working Voltage and Breakdowns,..

Understand the Rise and Fall of The Roman Empire ...as Measured in Nano-seconds - not Millennia

And the inherited slope events of high levels of inductance and the impeded path it has to take to work...

The Difference in the 13N10L versus LDMOS and which side your "L" is on...

You actually can get quite a few choices - you have a plethora of substitutes.

Think of it like a "generational" thing, 12N08 almost there...Substrate thickness, Die design E&C - not quite right...

But, the 13N10 - FQP - came around - so it gets labeled FQP13N10 100V breakdowns and has a thickness and design that we can use to our benefit...

IRF520 versus IRF510 - the 510 can work, but has a Siemens efficiency that is LESS than the 520's - so the "Ohmic" impedance value is greater and so is it's die design - but works for 27MHz - just not a Big Strapper Honking Hog of a current muncher - but rivals the PEP you'd get out of a 2078 - so miracles, no matter how small - do happen...
34thStreetCloseup.jpg

Which I guess, never to late to wish you a Merry Christmas!
They took away Peanuts for $$$ to Apple+ so it's only a matter of time before the Colorized versions of other Great classics to get shoved into the Streaming Bin and no longer a TV staple - to let the "Dust Bunnies" of kids and Pets alike - to watch over and over again.​

This isn't a subject that matters to many but here's something 20201126_100311.jpg that might help some of you techs out there. The famed rt1 is an IRFZ24N underneath. The source I received the unmarked RT1 transistors from got a new batch from their supplier so he sent a few over and this is what was received. Maybe they figured somebody would eventually find out what they were so they let the cat out of the bag.

Thank you.

PDF attached...

17 A Surge - derated to 12 A at 100C - but it's the Breakdown voltage you need to be aware of...

55 volts - with Zener protection - so as far as ruggedized - the PIV (Peak Inverse Voltage) of the Zener tends to protect but compared to 13N10's or even the IRF520 they have greater reverse breakdown character but little "zener" protection - it's anybody's game.

The PDF shows 2 to 4V of "ON Gate" voltage so the trimmers will still need to be there...

Attachments

• IRFZ24N.PDF
    125.6 KB · Views: 58
As suspected, a power supply switching transistor as described on the data sheet: "Intended for use in switched mode power supplies and general purpose switching applications."

Available online for as little as 56 cents each and miles from the specifications of a linear rated RF MOSFET. Without the intentionally modulated DC bias provided by the "companion part used on these switch mode transistors, they would have almost no gain or burn right up with any type of continuous current bias regulator.

Last edited:
Reactions: NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated