• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger RHF 618

Shadetree Mechanic

Delaware Base Station 808
Oct 23, 2017
The First State (Delaware)
With touch screen. Looks like someone found a truck load? Or is this a new version?

s-l400.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ranger-RHF...561840?hash=item366f8a3270:g:6-8AAOSwuDBf2Cqt

2011 radio. Been in rental storage since then? Somebody's botched bankruptcy?

Just odd.

The scene opens...

A large bedroom - more empty, minor basic furniture...

A small boy looks out a window...

upload_2021-1-30_10-36-1.png

Behind him - he hears a sound of movement and gentle blurble of coughing, the boy turns and dashes towards the noise...

Camera settles on two figures one in a bed, the other, sitting leaning over in a chair...heavy hard breathing is heard...

The faint sounds of grieving, wailing is heard from a room, away - off in the distance - a lady cries...

The figures, one of a Father - old with age and years of toiling labor - lay hard upon his skin...

The Son, face wet with tears knowing the life he once had will be different from this moment on.

"Son", the Father coughs, "I have something to give you..."

"Father!" the Boy cries, "No I don't want anything else - Mom, - I, we need you!"

"You knew this would happen..." the figure interrupts...

"I want you to have it and use it - when you use it, think of me..."

The breathing now more labored - shallow - time is short. Tries to lift an arm out from under the sheets to point...

"It's under..the... bed." .... the figure goes limp ... the vessel, done...

It's easy enough to imagine that the poor kid just didn't want this thing anymore and got rid of the stash...

Besides, the funeral costs, the radio may have / needed to be, sold to help generate the funds to pay for the services...

Sadly I think of things like this because too many times the <Gosh Darn> people holding the Garage Sale made you feel guilty for even being there listening to the story behind it. So using the sanitary bleach-whiting effects that eBay and similar sites are, like Craigslist - people can dump stuff nearly anonymously into the world and not be left to care about something someone else left behind...

• Or if you're a Shipping Container - you are getting the boot from the new tenants and they are getting rid of your stuff...
upload_2021-1-30_11-18-47.png

Sounds heartless? No, not really, been thru a Foreclosure? Dealing with deaths in a family? You get used to seeing this - someone wants the value of it, not the item itself.

If you're the buyer, be glad you have the means to purchase such a fossil.

To add:

This isn't meant to be a "funny" in the first place...

I can remember knowing several CB Shops I used to hang out at, and one just recently folded because the main owner died and no one in the family wanted to continue or knew enough - to continue, what he did - so a tree gets chopped, truncated - because no one knows the business well enough to continue the legacy.

I also know several CB Shops that have gone this route - they all leave behind their stock - of equipment, radios - old school parts and tools. But no one is left to pick up that soldering iron and continue the work that the main provider for the Family did to make them have the life they live now.

So on that, this business we're in, is more of a labor of love now, than what many thought it was to make any real true sense of monetary gain. We lost that when all this carp merged into what China is producing now. They get our money, we get the stuff this thread is about.

Am I angry, in a way yes, our own livelihood that we could make a living from, gets knocked down several tiers of income range just so the rest of us can survive on the meager crumbs of what Electronic Communication still means to us.

So when I see someone making a listing of radios like what is shown, someone in their earlier days bought into the stock of that and was hoping to make a killing off of it to see to many that desire this type of equipment - only now, it is the strong possibility their mortal coil of time in the watch has stopped and there's no one around with the knowledge on how to rewind it and keep it ticking.

Not too many people should own a radio with those capabilities without a license, but Ranger built them for those in the Amateur realm. But can't prevent others from owning one even if not licensed. So now we have someone that bought up their stock and are now seeing the rise of the demand, so they flood the market with this type of radio because the demand for communications equipment is higher than ever, thanks to our current situation. They now can reap the benefits of this demand at a higher cost - the market will bear...it.

Because of the often proven adage - there's one born every minute.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated