• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2970N2?

Nuke Man

Sep 8, 2005
Has anyone tried the new 2970N2 yet?

Been thinking of getting a new radio for the work van. But have not seen any reviews of the N2's yet. Good, Bad, or the same???

Thanks.

Well I wouldn't say twice as powerful. The N2 has I think 50 more watts. Aren't they rated 200 rather than 150? And they have a Speech Processor added that the DX doesn't have.

This is actually a radio better suited to 11 meter only operators as they will have more power and be much louder and better sound on AM than will the ham rigs and for less money.

If the 11 meter op is always sideband-only, AND has more money to spend, then go with a ham rig like the Icom.

Good luck

Wireweasezl..i have the 2970n2 ..i thought the only difference was a bigger linear inside..i didnt know about the processor..cool beans..i sappose the processor is automatic becauce i see no adjustments for it on the radio..would like to know more about that feature..

Last edited:
Well looks like GI Joes has them on sell for $374. Looks like I'll have to order one and then figure out who to send it to for tuning.

Thanks for the replies.

rci 2970

i wasn't aware there was a new model out now what i would like to see is an upgrade to the 2950 dx a little more oewr wouldn't hurt especially on ssb . does anyone know were i can view one of these 2970's who stock's these radio's in the states

Sparkys Cb shop is a great place to get one. Al does a great job on set up. you can get anywhere between 250 to 320 watts from the 2970N2. the one i have peaks a little over 300 watts on SSB. 320 pushes the radio kind of hard and may give way to heat issues but working mine around 300 it seems to operate quite well. i have ran the 2950's 2950dx radios as well as the 2970's & 2970Dx radios and still do but find the 2970N2 to be RCI's finnest yet. This radio also does quite well on 10 meters with great reports, PROPERLY TUNED they will match up with any of the HF. rigs on 10 meters. ON AM they hold there own as well won't be an audio monster like a Connex but with a DM-452 mic and a little reverb ther no slouch. with a magnet mount wilson 1000 i have talked from SO. MD. to gettysburg PA. on SSB with ease to a base station & thats well over 80 miles. all you need for a world wide DXer when the cycle picks up would be a 2970n2 a 50 amp power supply and a Antron 99 @ 36' then just sit back on 27.555 usb and talk around the world.

Well looks like GI Joes has them on sell for $374. Looks like I'll have to order one and then figure out who to send it to for tuning.

Thanks for the replies.

go 2 customcbradios.com you can buy it have it tuned there for not a whole
lot more.plus save ya that extra shipping .it will be plug and play

hi

i have on got it a gi joe radio it works graet but dont mess with it if u have work done to it it will fry the transistors i had to get mine fix after i had it peak and toned it will talk over 50 miles bone stock right out of the box it is the best that way just by one hook it up and use it you will not be dissapointed

rci 2970 n2

sure i will ber upgrading my rci 2950 dx the next ime i'm out in the states i will have to look around to see were i can get a good deal 300 watts on ssb would be sufficent for me on ssb all we need know is for the cycle to peak which will be anumber of years away

Why not get a true and good radio..
maybe say a Icom IC-718
even the 706 MKIIG

just my 2 cents

Ill double this, i have 3 of the 29s, 50dx, 70dx, 95dx. Happy with them but after using my new Icom 7400(746) they are not the same. RX is a different world with DSP. 5 minutes with a soldering iron and you have a good rig from 0.15-60mhz with the IC-718. The difference in price arent that huge either.

Last edited:
if you have a plus 3 with this radio,,how do you have your gains set,,?,,microphone and gain on the radio for ssb ? also,,if you use the stock mic,hows your gain set on the radio ....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.