• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2995 DX

I just sold a 2995dx this summer to a guy in California.
The radio had a better RX as compared to some of my other 2970's.

I used a Turner +3 on it and a 575, both mics work just fine, the +3 had a little more audio than the 575, but both work just fine.

These radios have great audio, with a turner +3 even better.

We've been calling it the "junior firestarter". The MOSFETs in the amplifier will NOT tolerate any SWR at all. Blows them out.

Had a customer take a new one home after getting the module installed. Warned him it would not tolerate high SWR for any time at all.

He got it home and dropped the hand mike onto the desk while the coax was unplugged from the radio. Landed on the PTT button. Couldn't have keyed it for more than fraction of a second.

Blew out the amplifier MOSFETs.

He did admit to being warned. I'll give him credit for that.

Be very nice to it and it will last a while. Drive an amplifier with it and you may have issues. Making sure the amplifier's relay has changed over and the contacts have closed securely before the radio feeds power to it is the only way to protect it.

I just re read this and you said you call it the Junior firestarter.
I'm a little bit scared to ask but is there a senior fire starter and what is it if there is?

Many a good radio starts out as a grain of sand...

I just re read this and you said you call it the Junior firestarter.
I'm a little bit scared to ask but is there a senior fire starter and what is it if there is?

There are several - I guess in my Book, the worst ones have the older Linear power supply to power them.

Nothing wrong with the "Power supply" being linear, keeps it quiet and low noise...

It's when they "golden Screwdriver" the radio, does the field of play turn from a simple "stick ball" to a downright Hockey Game on Fire and Ice...

The company that makes the radio, and the Company it keeps - it is better to support the Amp as a separate unit than to use them combined with a bigger power supply in the package - you can build a firewall between them (Literally) and have the luxury of using the amp on a As-Needed basis than to combine the awkwardly oversized requirements the power supply has to have as one single package - best to leave the Linear type for the Radio and get another for the extra needs you may have, placed in-line AFTER the radio.

There are several instances out here on the Forums of those Radios that do the "wink - Blink" then plain Quit (GOOD-Night Permanently) mode simply from similar failures these Radios tend to undergo as they age and their operators fail to tend/Bend to their needs of ventilation and cooling.

Sadly, the operators of these radios using the older-Linear style power supply...need to remind themselves,
  • - often ignore the thermal effects of the MOSFET's
  • - They are not unlike Bipolars they do have to dissipate power
    • - heating up when they're operated in their Linear region
  • - SSB modes are the worst on these - ALC and AMC intact helps prevent these failures...
  • - for the Linear regions of both the Power supply, the reserve capacity of it, and the needed reserves of power the Finals will take - makes any of these MOSFET-Based Base Radios candidates Requiring the use of Smoke Alarms.
Not trying to beat up on the older styles, when operated like they should be - they can last a long time if taken good care of.

It's when their operated in the hands of; The EGO-driven operator, that thinks they know more - Unfortunately will know more after the smoke clears.

@Handy Andy you know I'm hearing that enough it's starting to sink in, lol I do appreciate all the good advice, and definitely want the amp set up separately from a good radio.
@nomadradio has kept telling me( in the best of ways) on the fact that a guy needs his amp separately from the radio and I appreciate his advice and the other fellows too. The advice is sinking in.

Reactions: undertaker

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.