• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Realistic ssb radio what is the best one made?

I had own 458 and 449.And for the moment I own 490.
The 490 has very good recieve like 458.The 449 has little nosier rx.
All three of them sounding very good in the air and is very frequency stable..
Many newer radios i worse compare to the realistic trc models..

I had own 458 and 449.And for the moment I own 490.
The 490 has very good recieve like 458.The 449 has little nosier rx.
All three of them sounding very good in the air and is very frequency stable..
Many newer radios i worse compare to the realistic trc models..
It was always my understanding that the 490 was harder to mod then the 458 hence the reason for coming out with the 490.

re: radio Shack ssb cb.

The ones using the Uniden boards.

TRC-453 & TRC-465 both Uniden pc-122 clones, also the TRC-451 but this ones a bigger chassis.

All mobile am / ssb units.

The base sister model was the TRC-850 same as Uniden Pro-810E

Cheers.

Realistically speaking

I used a TRC 448 as my base radio for many years. Folks would modify these for extra frequencies and crank up the wattage. I hooked up a Turner +3 base mic and a Radio Shack .64 ground plane and talked everywhere 100% stock.

I installed a TRC 451 in my dad's sailboat in their day. Great unit.

My primary radio for the last 30 years plus has been my TRC 490 base. With a Turner Super Sidekick, it has performed flawlessly all these years. Sounds great on AM or SSB.

Reactions: Slowmover
I used a TRC 448 as my base radio for many years. Folks would modify these for extra frequencies and crank up the wattage

I had a rocking 448 in my station wagon years ago, francis 96" triple quarter wave mounted in the center of the roof, and a Magnum 6000 ( a real Palomar 4-2879 amp with adjustable electronic regulated bias ) and a turner expander NC handheld mic.
I remember sweating over it all one day installing the frequency counter, cutting traces, putting pull-down resistors across the cuts and drilling the 6 mounting holes for the mini toggle switches on the bottom of the radio.
The only thing I did not like about the radio was the crappy mic plug.
But over all it was a great radio.
One morning I got up to find the driver side window shattered, the radio gone, the coax ripped from of the back of the amp and the antenna unscrewed from the mount.
Sad day.
But.
Allstate cut me a check for the window and the " ham radio" I had in the car, helped pay for my first HR 2510, from AES.

Jeff

TRC 448

I bought mine when Radio Shack put them on sale at like $100 off. From memory, I want to tell you that I paid $169.00. I used it extensively for 5 years and then sold it to an air force guy at Homestead AFB for $115.00, which I used to buy the TRC490.

Just about every one of those Radio Shack late 70s-late 80s CB were built by Uniden. They were pretty good radios.

I have long since Sold the 458 & 490 but have a TRAM D64 that blows them away badly and most every CB I have ever owned.It is even quieter and has an Amazing receiver. I have owned what most consider the finest CB Radios ever built including the TRAM D201,D201A,GOLDEN EAGLE MK IV,IVA,MKIII and it is better than all of those. I Rarely ever use it since getting a UNIDEN 980SSB which is not quite as good but I like it a whole lot and the display is SWEET to me.

SIX-SHOOTER

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.