1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Realistic ssb radio what is the best one made?

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by sluggo, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Rick330man

Rick330man Well-Known Member

I have an identical twin currently hooked up, but with a Turner Super Side Kick. 37 years old and still ticking!

Slowmover likes this.

2. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

Reading this forum is seeing things in a new light, and especially so on vintage equipment.

sgorick and kopcicle like this.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Active Member

I've got a TRC-465 that my grandad gave me about 15 years ago. I really like that little radio and will probably never sell it. I would like to have someone go through it however.

4. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

There are a few members here that could do that or you.

SuperDave likes this.
  5. Low_Boy

Low_Boy Well-Known Member

Pride of my collection.
    TRC 449

Attached Files:

6. jon666

jon666 Sr. Member

my favorite was the 457 or 458

7. lrz50

lrz50 CQ 1-5-50 Arizona

$_57.jpg I bought this NOS TRC-458, 4 years ago from a guy that bought out a old radio shop in South Dakota. He had it on ebay for buy it now $180.00. It had just been opened to take pictures of it. I had it peaked, aliened, and added a nice Turner +3. It talks and receives real nice. I opened up the clarifier, and just use a little RM-203 amp with it and it gets out just fine. I mainly just talk on SSB 1-5-50 AZ 5378

#52 lrz50, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  8. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

I'm going to jump back in with a bit of a wild card.
    Radio Shack Realistic DX-302.
    True, a receiver only but it deserves notice as a fine companion to any SW station.
    The MHz gear problem is still easily solved by a trip to Hobby Town or the like. (RC Car gear replacement) .
    DeOxit for the Potentiometers and switches. A drop of lube on the switches.
    This receiver still has a devoted following that are under no illusions about it's shortcomings but aware of its abilities.
    Last produced in 1984 it remains a great bang for the buck receiver.

The addition of another maligned and nearly forgotten accessory, The Radio Shack DSP 40 Digital Signal Processor , Makes this a setup that rivals receivers twice or three times it's MSRP.

You can have the second one I find (I have one) , I'll take the second one you find...

:ROFLMAO:

Slowmover likes this.
  9. DaleH1985

DaleH1985 New Member

Love my 449. Amazing old radio, and none of my co workers have a clue what it is.

10. drgrant

drgrant Member

Those things are horrendous.

Back in the 90s 50% of my soldering iron injuries were from soldering RS microphone plugs.... lol

11. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

Well okay, yeah , 5 pin din did suck.