• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Reclaim LSB 16

I spent most of the day on Ch 16 LSB today. I had a couple of decent QSOs, but spent most of the time fighting bleedover from ch 17, and hetrodynes from AMers on 16.
Back in the 23 channel days, most people were courteous, and left 16 for the SSBers. Today, hardly anybody knows what courteous means.

As an example, yesterday I was talking to a station in Rhode Island, and whenever I unkeyed, some jerk in Illinois keyed up for me and covered the Rhode Island station up. Finally, I told my QSO," I apologize man, but some inconsiderate operator keeps keying up on you calling for me. If he thinks I will ever come back to him, it will never happen." The guy shut up, and we finished our QSO. After we were done, the guy started calling for me again. I just ignored him.

I appreciate that there are operators out there with 23 channel ssb rigs, but I don't want to have to fight to hear them now-a-days.

- 399 J.J.

I spent most of the day on Ch 16 LSB today. I had a couple of decent QSOs, but spent most of the time fighting bleedover from ch 17, and hetrodynes from AMers on 16.
Back in the 23 channel days, most people were courteous, and left 16 for the SSBers. Today, hardly anybody knows what courteous means.

As an example, yesterday I was talking to a station in Rhode Island, and whenever I unkeyed, some jerk in Illinois keyed up for me and covered the Rhode Island station up. Finally, I told my QSO," I apologize man, but some inconsiderate operator keeps keying up on you calling for me. If he thinks I will ever come back to him, it will never happen." The guy shut up, and we finished our QSO. After we were done, the guy started calling for me again. I just ignored him.

I appreciate that there are operators out there with 23 channel ssb rigs, but I don't want to have to fight to hear them now-a-days.

- 399 J.J.

There is activity on LSB 38 this afternoon, but it isn't the dreaded pile-up. There is some background activity on both LSB 16 and USB 40. However, I haven't heard any stations looking to make DX contacts. I'll try again now at 4:00P.M. eastern, but the Miami vs. Texas A & M game will get my undivided attention after that.
That’s where I was today i think around noontime, LSB 38 and 37.

Good afternoon,well conditions were amazing before I left for church,got home from lunch and fired up the Ranger around 11:15 ,and just gave a shout-out on 16 LSB, quiet of course with a little bit of bleed over from 19, and then tried 40 USB,was getting washed out by operator's talking on LSB on the same channel,off to take a nap,will try again to give another shout out later today!!

73's

I didn't hear much today. We're supposed to be heading towards the peak of the cycle, but this has not been like any cycle I recall in the past. We had a period in October - November of last year (2022) where LSB 16 was hopping just about every week-end. Then it seems like the skip just died. The cycle has flattened out on 11 meters.

But "failure is not an option". I'll try again next week.

There are some interesting articles out about how the sun is out of whack and not following its usual patterns with respect to the flipping of its poles. There seems to be some suggestion that this explains why skip hasn't been what we would expect at this period in the 11 year cycle. Looks like the sun is feeling irregular and we need to send it a get well card.

There are some interesting articles out about how the sun is out of whack and not following its usual patterns with respect to the flipping of its poles. There seems to be some suggestion that this explains why skip hasn't been what we would expect at this period in the 11 year cycle. Looks like the sun is feeling irregular and we need to send it a get well card.
Well it would explain the lack of DX Propagation,or where sometimes it's really active and other's times it's dead,kinda of makes sense I'm guessing, yesterday was a bust for me on 16 LSB and 40 USB, nothing up my way on either channel , hopefully next weekend will be better!!

73's

I didn't hear much today. We're supposed to be heading towards the peak of the cycle, but this has not been like any cycle I recall in the past. We had a period in October - November of last year (2022) where LSB 16 was hopping just about every week-end. Then it seems like the skip just died. The cycle has flattened out on 11 meters.

But "failure is not an option". I'll try again next week.
I remember that also,Skip was coming in every weekend,it was great conditions to make contacts with, hopefully the upcoming Fall season will bring better DX Propagation for us all!!

73's

I've got the radio on as I engage in the great American past-time of watching college football. There is some skip propagation today. Unfortunately, no luck today on LSB 16 through 4:25P.M. LSB 38 has some activity, but I'm not hearing pile-ups. Efforts to reach fellow WWDX members on USB 40 have come up empty.

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
We had some fantastic DX days last October and November. I'm hoping we see a repeat of those conditions this year. We are long overdue.

So...how would everyone feel if we took a step back to re-group? How about we take some time to get the word out that we'll be pushing for another LSB 16 DX week-end October 14th-15th?

Last edited:
We had some fantastic DX days last October and November. I'm hoping we see a repeat of those conditions this year. We are long overdue. So...how would everyone feel if we took a step back to re-group? How about we take some time to get the word out that we'll be pushing for another LSB 16 DX week-end October 14th-15th?
Sounds like a good plan,I 2nd it!! Hope all of my Radio Friends have a great weekend ahead!!

73's

LSB 38 has been pretty messy this morning. Boston, Montreal, Calgary, Minnesota and a few stations from Texas were talking all over each other.

LSB 16 was dead. Not a soul on there.

Despite LSB 38 hopping, the only other skip I picked up was Brasil on LSB 40.

Reactions: AmericanEagle575

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.