• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Recommendations on an inexpensive 10/11/12 meter base antenna

What Freq. are you monitoring with your regular antenna? I'll assume it is 10 meter. Like the man said you can't use 1 antenna for both without readjustment. Good luck!

If you want an antenna that covers 11 and 10 meters without any tuning, go for the Sirio Gain Master.

Some antenna manufacturers say their antennas cover 11 and 10 meters. In reality, you must tune them by adjusting length. ( won’t work on both band at the same time with acceptable SWR) .

The Gain Master is the only one that works both bands without tuning, but I am afraid, it is out of your budget.

The other option is to buy a cheap antenna and tune it with an antenna tuner.
Thanks, Alexis
You're right, I can go in any direction. Wait until I have the $ and go with the Gain Master or get something more affordable now. Originally my plan was to get something "cheap" because I'll just be using it strictly for local talk. Thanks for the recommendation!!

Reactions: Alexis Mercado
My Sirio GPE-27 won't cover from the bottom of 11 to the top of 10 with a low swr, but I tuned it for minimum swr at around 27.5 and it allows me to operate all of the cb channels and up to 28.500 (the upper end of the most used ssb part of 10) with a reasonable swr. I would have to retune if I wanted to use it for 10 FM (above 29 MHz) but the ssb portions of 10 and 11 are what I wanted it for anyway, and it works for that without retuning.

As for the homebrew vertical, you can actually make the ground radials about 108 inches long and instead of a single vertical element, make two: one 113 inches long and the other 100 inches. Connect the two at the feed point and run them at a shallow V angle. That will cover 12 through 10 Meters. I would use 1/2 inch hard copper pipe as the elements. If necessary, trim the shorter one to lower the swr at the highest 10M frequency you want to use, and trim the longer one if swr is too high at the lower end of 11M. What you have built is a fan monopole (half of a fan dipole); the signal will default to the one that is closest to resonance at a given frequency. There will be some interaction between the two, but that just means you probably won't need to trim the longer one at all.

Or, you could just put up an inverted V dipole or 12/10 fan dipole. They are really simple and effective, and are vertically polarized.

My Sirio GPE-27 won't cover from the bottom of 11 to the top of 10 with a low swr, but I tuned it for minimum swr at around 27.5 and it allows me to operate all of the cb channels and up to 28.500 (the upper end of the most used ssb part of 10) with a reasonable swr. I would have to retune if I wanted to use it for 10 FM (above 29 MHz) but the ssb portions of 10 and 11 are what I wanted it for anyway, and it works for that without retuning.

As for the homebrew vertical, you can actually make the ground radials about 108 inches long and instead of a single vertical element, make two: one 113 inches long and the other 100 inches. Connect the two at the feed point and run them at a shallow V angle. That will cover 12 through 10 Meters. I would use 1/2 inch hard copper pipe as the elements. If necessary, trim the shorter one to lower the swr at the highest 10M frequency you want to use, and trim the longer one if swr is too high at the lower end of 11M. What you have built is a fan monopole (half of a fan dipole); the signal will default to the one that is closest to resonance at a given frequency. There will be some interaction between the two, but that just means you probably won't need to trim the longer one at all.

Or, you could just put up an inverted V dipole or 12/10 fan dipole. They are really simple and effective, and are vertically polarized.
I have my current antenna tuned close to the same as your sirio gpe-27.
You've sent a lot of great information!! Thank you for that. I need to take some time to digest this and all of the recommendations from others as well.
I greatly appreciate all of the helpful advice!!

73's

Not on point; but; I find BJ Radio Nut image of 1/4λ antenna with 4x 102" radials remarkably similar to my current primary antenna, hoisted to 23.5'. Destined for 1 full λ height AGL, by end of this month. Two major variations: [1] 5/8λ Imax 2000 monopole [2] 4x 103" (*) SS whips (formerly 1/4λ whip antennas minus the typical 8" springs). Someone said the radials serve no purpose. Apparently, another somebody saw the concept valid enough to picture it; which doesn't really mean squat. Werx very well DX; Australia and UK from the Heart of Dixie.
(*) Online sourced calculator, 103", derived.

More to the point, the Sirio GPE 27 (< $100) is remarkably similar to my own primary antenna. I read the horizontal radials are ~ 51". My 4x radial extend diagonally towards the ground, maybe 30d from vertical, versus horizontal.
The original GPK (kit) radials were 6' (72"). The move to 103" radials I feel has boosted reception.
The validity of the original GPK has been questioned and scientifically tested. The value may not be worth the expense was the bottom line. The GPK and Fugly Balun did eliminate the RFI plaguing the neighbors and kept jackboots from kicking in my door. I'm not sure which had the greater fix action. The now added length of the radials I swear by.

GPE 27 - 19.5'L (5950mm) doesn't make a 11m 5/8 wave. Lame Power Handling.
:) Sirio site states shipping weight 2 lbs. They must pack it is bubble wrap. Specifications read 2500 gram :)

Last edited:
Someone said the radials serve no purpose.
Anyone that said that in regard to quarter wave GP...knows NOTHING about antennas...Sorry but the truth!
That buildable GP at same tip height as 5/8ths wave be hard to tell difference. Plus, with good size radials, like 10ga cooper and good egg insulators soldered etc. then could use GOOD Para-cord or Good Dacron rope for top set of guys.
All the Best
Gary

Anyone that said that in regard to quarter wave GP...knows NOTHING about antennas...Sorry but the truth!
That buildable GP at same tip height as 5/8ths wave be hard to tell difference. Plus, with good size radials, like 10ga cooper and good egg insulators soldered etc. then could use GOOD Para-cord or Good Dacron rope for top set of guys.
All the Best
Gary
Amen
I have used a 1/4 wave and 5/8 wave 70 feet apart at the same feed point height.
Depending on where I wanted to talk there were times the smaller antenna out preformed the bigger one.
Sometimes the simplest antenna can work much better than we think.

Jeff

WALCOTT RADIO has a antenna called the PT99 price is $89.99 and free shipping . 10-12 meters I use one at my home I talk skip with it works good for what it is .

Reactions: whiteastro
Reminds me of my first base station antenna the Shakespeare Big Stick but back in those days I couldn't afford a SSB radio so I never tried it for DX. Anything is possible with the right situation.

I use a Antron 99 without the GP, been using a Antron since the 90s,this is my second one,never had any problems, simple to put up,talked all over the world when the Conditions were right,also have a Siro 2008 brand new in the box,saving that for when I get my own place someday!! From what I have heard supposedly,the Antrons in the 90s were better built than the ones being produced now,not sure if that's true or not,hope this helps the OP!

The Star-Duster is a great 11 meter antenna but don't know about 10 meter never tried it but someone in here probably has.
I have a Starduster M-400, it can be tuned to work both 10/11 meters, mine did well on both and the swr was reasonable on both bands, 1.2 on 11 meters and 1.4 on 10 meters, could have likely gotten lower swr but was happy with my 1st tuning and left it there!

Reactions: whiteastro and TM86

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.