• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Remember the Good Ole days?

How about Kojak?

Or when a kids walkie-talkie from Sears could talk as good or at least sound as good as some of the more expensive cb radios. I remember my Dad was messing with my walkie-talkie one night, talking to a guy that lived in a neighborhood up the hill behind us, which was a pretty good trip for a walkie-talkie. I remember the guy got a little agrivated when he asked what my Dad was talking on, he said you mean to tell me a kids toy sounds that good and I've spent a lot of money for this base station, THAT BURNS ME UP!
LOL!!Screenshot_20211103-084101_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20211103-084541_Google.jpg

My first cb was a single channel (14), 100mw "base station" from Radio Shack. My Granddad gave me some RG6 coax and I ran it up on the roof and connected it to an antenna, also from Rat Shack. Got to be friends via that radio with the local barber (let's call him Jim), who lived down the road from me. Then I got a Philadelphia Derringer kit for Christmas, built it and Jim, who also had one of those derringers, helped me learn how to load and fire it.
I remember Jim's son had a .22 revolver, I think it was one of the western style H&Rs that look like a single action but are single and double action. We used to drive his VW Bug to the creek and plink with that revolver. Good times!

My Dad's first base station in the late 60's or early 70's was a Gemtronics. It picked up bleedover so bad he sold it and bought a Pearce Simpson. The Pearce Simpson was a great base and sounded and talked great. His big old ground plane I believe was a Super Slammer? Maybe? I could be wrong but that's what I'm remembering. It talked great mounted about 25 ft above the peak of his house.

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.