• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rf sampler smoked out my radio

So I have concluded it has to be the scope. I have an old tektronix 465b. I hooked up to good wall supply. Fixed the burnt out radio it was running and lights working. Hooked up to scope through rf sampler and guess what????? Smoke starting billowing out. Something is seriously f-ed up with the scope is my conclusion.
How old is the wiring in your house???? If you have a GFCI protected socket plug your scope into it and see what happens. If the scope is screwed the GFCI will trip intermediately. You might not even have to turn it on to trip the GFCI.

How old is the wiring in your house???? If you have a GFCI protected socket plug your scope into it and see what happens. If the scope is screwed the GFCI will trip intermediately. You might not even have to turn it on to trip the GFCI.
If your power was rated to high in your house the breakers or main would have tripped,you can also have a bad breaker in the panel box,

I wouldn't take the ground in your AC power receptacle for granted - especially in an older house. I'd check it with the power tester I posted about earlier in this thread. If ground is open; then that may explain a lot here.

Last edited:
If your power was rated to high in your house the breakers or main would have tripped,you can also have a bad breaker in the panel box,

If you mean the incoming AC voltage then no, not usually. The breakers will not usually trip due to an over voltage condition since they trip on current and even if the voltage was 150 volts instead of only 120 volts then anything running would only draw about 1.5 times the normal current and 150 volts would be highly unlikely.Drawing 1.5 times a few amps on a 15 amp branch breaker won't come close to tripping. My nominal 120/240 volt line runs at nearly 130/260 volts because the pole transformer feeds my house and one other each way with a long run of secondary. The pole transformer is at the end of my driveway and was tapped a little high to ensure the other homes got full voltage under full load over a long run. I never have power related issues. Been like that since I built the house in 1991.

Reactions: 222DBFL
I wouldn't take the ground in your AC power receptacle for granted - especially in an older house. I'd check it with the power tester I posted about earlier in this thread. If ground is open; then that may explain a lot here.
Yeah I bought the tester and in my garage where I do my work all but one socket was open ground. I plugged my equipment into the good socket and with scope connected it smoked my radio out. I concluded it's the scope. I got my radio to light up now and I have no hash in my speaker. I removed the melted down ext. Speaker jack and still have no sound. Thanks for the input.

Did you turn it on? Try taking your voltage measurements again and see what is going on. You might have one socket that is messed up.

Also look closely at the photo I posted. It appears that you have a wire that is touching in the sampler that shouldn't be. Or is it an illusion of the photo?? It also appears there is some charring of this wire as well. The one that wraps around the ferrite coil. I could be totally wrong. Just looks that way to me. Sorry if I am incorrect.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    979.2 KB · Views: 13
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
So with the scope on I got 24 volts DC on the front frame when I touch my multimeter meter from ground to front plate cover! Even with scope off I got 24 volts. I unplug scope, drops to zero. What the hell

So with the scope on I got 24 volts DC on the front frame when I touch my multimeter meter from ground to front plate cover! Even with scope off I got 24 volts. I unplug scope, drops to zero. What the hell
24 volts DC on scopes front cover when I touch ground on power supply to front plate cover on scope.... what's the diagnosis besides being a little on the dangerous side lol.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.