• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rf sampler smoked out my radio

So with the scope on I got 24 volts DC on the front frame when I touch my multimeter meter from ground to front plate cover! Even with scope off I got 24 volts. I unplug scope, drops to zero. What the hell
Is the voltage just on the front panel or all of the exterior of the case?
Measure again with the volt meter set to AC volts.

Unless i missed it you never did say what the
end of the power cord for the scope has for a plug. Three pin grounded? Two pins with one blade wider than the other? Two pins both the same width? I just checked my Tektronix 465 scope and it has a three pin grounded plug. just wondering if yours has been replaced and possibly wired wrong by having the hot and neutral reversed.

All of this discussion about the sampler, the 'scope and the house AC service is nice, but I believe the reason the radio smoked was due to "HUMAN ERROR". When 805 repaired the burnt trace, he soldered the jumper to wrong place on the board. Here is the photo he posted.20160813_154550.png

All of this discussion about the sampler, the 'scope and the house AC service is nice, but I believe the reason the radio smoked was due to "HUMAN ERROR". When 805 repaired the burnt trace, he soldered the jumper to wrong place on the board. Here is the photo he posted.View attachment 18580

There is continutiy and those are grounds so it makes no difference.

Unless i missed it you never did say what the
end of the power cord for the scope has for a plug. Three pin grounded? Two pins with one blade wider than the other? Two pins both the same width? I just checked my Tektronix 465 scope and it has a three pin grounded plug. just wondering if yours has been replaced and possibly wired wrong by having the hot and neutral reversed.
Three pin cord

So you have 24-36 VAC or VDC floating on the chassis of the scope?? If so then I would about bet that your wiring is screwed in the scope or somewhere in your electrical wiring for the house. You have got a floating ground and you may get zapped messing about with the scope any further. Unplug it and have a person qualified to perform the work on the scope or at least have it looked at. Also check the house wiring at the breaker box and make sure that all breakers have a ground wire going to the breaker panel ground buss bar. Like CK said, AC power is not to be messed with!! It kills! Just be careful messing with the scope from here on out. Just some food for thought. Like I said, at this point I would not keep messing with the scope and also I would have an AC service tech come and cheek all your house wiring to make sure it's all up to code. JMHO's.

So you have 24-36 VAC or VDC floating on the chassis of the scope?? If so then I would about bet that your wiring is screwed in the scope or somewhere in your electrical wiring for the house. You have got a floating ground and you may get zapped messing about with the scope any further. Unplug it and have a person qualified to perform the work on the scope or at least have it looked at. Also check the house wiring at the breaker box and make sure that all breakers have a ground wire going to the breaker panel ground buss bar. Like CK said, AC power is not to be messed with!! It kills! Just be careful messing with the scope from here on out. Just some food for thought. Like I said, at this point I would not keep messing with the scope and also I would have an AC service tech come and cheek all your house wiring to make sure it's all up to code. JMHO's.
10-4 roger that. I got a really nice paper weight now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.